Bronx Boy, 11, Dies After Being Struck On Grand Concourse

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — A fifth grade student was struck by a car and killed while crossing one of the busiest streets in the Bronx Wednesday morning.

1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria reports crisis counselors have been sent to P.S. 9 to help students cope with the loss

Monique Mitchell, holding her youngest of four, was grieving over the loss of her second-oldest child, 11-year-old Russell Smith, reports CBS 2’s John Slattery.

“He was a good kid, a very good kid, with a big heart,” she said.

Smith was struck around 7:45 a.m. Wednesday on the Grand Concourse at 183rd by a midsized SUV heading southbound. The driver, a 49-year-old woman, remained at the scene. No criminality is suspected, police said.

“I didn’t see him get hit, but the way he was laying on that street…shouldn’t have happened,” said bystander Michelle Jackson.

Monique was inside her apartment, just 100 yards away, when her child was fatally struck by a car.

“When he didn’t come back right away, I looked out my front window window and I saw a whole bunch of ambulances and cop cars,” she said.

She threw on her clothes and ran outside to see what happened.

“When I got there, I noticed my son’s shoes in the street, and I found that it was my son who got hit by a car,” she said.

suv in fatal concourse crash Bronx Boy, 11, Dies After Being Struck On Grand Concourse

The driver's daughter said the light was green. (credit: CBS 2)

The daughter of the driver, who was not in the car at the time of the accident, said she spoke to her mother about what happened.

“It was a green light and the child just ran into the car and hit the side mirror,” she said. “The car had the light. He ran against the light.”

“The way my son looks, it doesn’t look like he was hit that way,” Russell’s mother said. “It looks like he was hit very, very hard.”

Smith was rushed to Bronx-Lebanon Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The boy was a student at P.S. 9, which is only a block from the accident. Crisis counselors have been sent to the school to help students deal with the tragedy.

Sound Off: Leave A Comment Below

The intersection where the accident occurred has a crossing guard but, witnesses said, she was on the other side of the intersection some nine lanes away.

CBS 2’s John Slattery asked the guard where she was at the time of the incident, but did not get a response.

Neighbors said the intersection was just too big for only one crossing guard.

“All I’m saying is that she can’t be at four corners,” said Luis Vasquez. “This always happens at this corner.  She can’t be at four corners.”

More from Carol D'Auria
Comments

1. COURTENAY says:

SINCE THE WHOLE TRUTH IS NOT IN THIS ARTICLE. I THINK I SHOULD LET EVERYONE NO THAT RUSSELL WAS HIT BY TWO CARS COMING FROM TWO DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS. THAT MEANS THAT SOMEONE DID RUN THE LIGHT. IT WAS THE SECOND CAR THAT KILLED HIM AND HE ALSO WAS STRUCK IN A BICYCLE LANE. THE FIRST CAR HIT HIM HE TRIED TO GET UP AND THEN THE SECOND CARS CAME FROM AROUND THE CORNER AND HIT HIM. I THINK YOU SHOULD NO THE FACTS BEFORE YOU COMMENT ON THIS STORY. RIP RUSSELL

2. cadji says:

dear monique ,me baby alberto and erica are so sorry for your loss.my heart breaks for you .the kids ask about you all the time. as time goes by i hope that your heart heals.please remember that we love you so much .from erica alberto and cadji.

3. peace says:

may his soul rest in perfect peace.who are we to question God. He is now with his maker. i pray that the lord will console his parents.

4. MISS K. says:

THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO BLAME ANYONE OR BLAMING THE PARENT AND THE DRIVER. WE SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR WAY TO COMFORT THE FAMILY WHO JUST LOST THEIR SON (ORONSAYE). MY PRAYER GOES TO THE DRIVER TOO WHO WILL HAVE TO LEAVE WITH THIS INCIDENT FOR REST OF HER LIFE. SO AT THIS CRUCIAL TIME PLEASE STOP BLAMING BOTH PARTIES. THE ONLY WAY TO ALEVIATE PROBLMS AT THIS PRESENT TIME IS TO CONSOLE THE FAMILY THAT LOST THEIR SON.

5. Cautious Driver says:

This could have happened to me just yesterday. I was driving down a one way street just below the speed limit of 30mph & as I was about to go through a green light several children literally ran out of nowhere into the crosswalk running across the street. I looked in my rear mirror to see that there wasn’t a single car behind me. Why did they have to run? Why couldn’t they have waited?

6. ADRIANA says:

IF SOMEONE SHOULD BE BLAMED IS THE MOTHER, 4 KIDS!
    WHY HAVE MORE THAN SHE COULD HANDLE. SHE SHOULD OF TAKEN HER BEHIND TO THE STORE NOT THE LITTLE BOY, 11 YRS OLD IS STILL A BABY.

NOW, SHE WANTS TO BLAME THE DRIVER. PLZZZZZZZZZZ

MY BLESSINGS TO THE LITTLE BOY.

7. Mr. Armenia says:

Joe I doubt it was racially motivated.

Sometimes people dont cross at the cross walks.

1. Joe says:

yeah i see where you are coming from. good point

8. Joe says:

was this racially motivated? does anyone know? thanks

9. David Goldstein says:

I bet the driver was H1spanic. They always cause most of the auto accidents.

1. ADRIANA says:

YOU ARE A IDIOT

2. Dree says:

Really dude? How about you learn how to spell Hispanic first before you make such an idiotic comment!

10. nicole says:

I work in the area and cannot get across that street in one lights turn. when i do have the walk light I am looking for all of the turning cars. That intersection and all along the concourse need pedestrian walk lights where all traffic stands still

11. Lisa says:

I feel bad for the boy his family and his classmates, the Grand Concourse in that area is very dangerous and I have seen many people come close to getting hit. There needs to be change to how that street is controlled, more crossing guards, a longer stop light, something so that another tragedy doesn’t happen again

12. money says:

the mother should of taken her ass to the store to get the baby milk

1. aaliyah says:

russel is a great kid i know him

13. RICHARD ALLEN THE ANUS says:

RICHARD ALLEN THE LOSER.

It is evident that you have no family, no children, and most likely a tight wad loner.Your attitude says it all. An innocent child walking to the store/school has been killed and all you can discuss is the hike of insurances premiums ?
    YES YOU ARE A LOSER AND EVERYONE NOW SEES THAT, CLOWN !!

1. Richard Allen says:

The child did something STOOOPID……and got killed.

The Innocent driver will be made to pay for it in higher insurance rates and that is WRONG….

14. MRS. I UNDERSTAND says:

As a mother of 4 young men, my thoughts and prayers are with this childs mother.
    I understand the pain she must be enduring after the lose of her son.
    Everyday I kiss my 15yr old son off to school, there are quite a bit of unsafe drivers who have no regard for children crossing or stopped school buses picking up children.
    I’m sorry for her lose.

15. SD says:

What about the cops who are leaning against walls all day doing nothing. Want to witness it for yourself? Go to the four corners across from the New York Times building. Specifically, the entrance to the Port Authority. Everyday, during rush hour, the cops meet in pairs of four and talk about overtime and their pensions and look at girls and smoke. That’s their job. I have two years of pictures as proof. While one women is trying to do the job of four, these guy’s get paid to do nothing. It’s sickening. Poor child.

16. Eileen says:

Let’s all pray for the family of the boy and for the woman who hit the little boy, and for the children at PS 9. May God bless them and comfort them all.

17. B says:

Kind of like when a dog hit our truck. The insurance company told us it had to go as we hit the dog because there is no code for the dog hitting the truck. This sure isn’t the first time something like this has happened. I just feel really bad for his parents.

18. Richard Allen says:

Now will the Parents take responsibility for the actions of their child????

Probably NOT….so the insurance company will pay the claim and the INNOCENT driver will lose safe drivers insurance and/or the rates will get jacked up…..

————-the child just ran into the car and hit the side mirror

1. Richard Allen is a half wit says:

You’re right Rickard, poor insurance company executives have to pay for some pedestrian being killed. Jail the parents and make them pay the insurance company.

1. Richard Allen says:

EXACTLY……….If the insurance company Tried to pay the parents I would claim insurance fraud to the state Insurance commissioner…

We all biiitch about taking responsibility well the kid has to take responsibility for running into the innocent drivers car…

2. MRS. I. UNDERSTAND says:

@ Richard Allen…YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE LOW-LIFE MORON.PERIOD

1. Richard Allen says:

Oh so the driver should have his insurance canceled and be forced to pay double SR22 coverage because some kid jaywalked?

Stop your whining…….the victim is the driver who did nothing wrong!

19. alex says:

the crossing guard name is joahana and she is a sweetheart and im sure she feels bad.

1. Irene L Caceres says:

Yes our crossing guard is a sweet lady with lots of love for the kids that she services. She actively chats with my boys John and Lucas, she is the only crossing guard that i have ever seen try to get to know the kids.. She is not at fault, she cannot be at four places at once.

20. ycplum says:

Boulevards with express and local lanes are fundamentally more dangerous than one big roadway with the same number of lanes. The drivers in the “express” lane has an express midset (and can you really blame them) when driving while the pedestrian mindset is that the express lanes are just like the local lanes. It probably wasn’t a problem half a century ago, but times are different.

21. MikeS says:

So when someone, a child no less, is crossing the street, and the traffic signal is in the vehicle’s favor, its OK to just keep going even if it means hitting the person in the street? Drivers should yield to pedestrians AT ALL TIMES, regardless of traffic signal indications. You cannot assume that a pedestrian is going to follow the crossing signals. Drivers must always be aware and yield to pedestrians. Especially in NYC.

1. ycplum says:

I’m guessing you are not a driver.

The problem isn’t that drivers have such disregard for human life (for the most part atleast), but that they can not react fast enough. Cars can go faster than any human alive, but there are no cars that are as agile or reactive than a human.

2. Ethan Kavet says:

You are a moron. You make no sense whatsoever. Perhaps you should drive at 5mph. The driver obviously had no time to react to the child

Moron!!

1. MS says:

The next time you cross the street you are going to get run over by a car that saw you but didnt stop and your brains will get splattered all over the street ETHAN KAVET!!!

3. Amber says:

I agree with you 100%!!!

22. Cos says:

Not to belittle the crossing guards – they have a tough job to do… However, I’ve seen some (NOT ALL) crossing guards chit-chatting with people when there are children waiting to be helped across the street of busy intersections. Born and raised in the Bronx, this was nearly half the time that I saw this. The flipside is that I’ve seen slightly over half of them REALLY doing their job – and doing it well… I’ll put it this way; if you’re driving and the crossing guard becomes annoying to you then they are doing their job well…

Comments are closed.