NY Man, 89, Burned In Votive Candle Fire Dies

HICKSVILLE, N.Y. (AP) — An 89-year-old New York man has died from injuries he suffered after his clothes caught on fire as he was lighting a votive candle in his wife’s memory.

Police say Vito Badalamente died late Friday night at the burn unit of Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.

He had third-degree burns over 60 percent of his body and was hospitalized in critical condition.

Badalamente had been at Holy Family Catholic Church in Hicksville early Thursday morning to light a candle for his wife, who died eight years ago. But he didn’t extinguish a stick used to light the votive, and his clothes caught on fire.

Two priests rushed to help him after fire alarms were set off.

(Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

  • Marelicia Y

    This is sad. He was burning for a long while, before the fire alarms sounded and help arrived. It’s a good thing that he was not alone at home. Rip Mr. Vito.

  • obetoh

    may his soul rest in peace

  • AliRaza Williams

    living to 89 is already a good enough life. most won’t even make it halfway there.

  • DanTe

    Hopefully he is at rest now and with his wife

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live