Several Hurt In Early Morning Bushwick Fire

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — An early morning fire left seven people injured, two critically, in Bushwick Monday.

The blaze started at 269 Bleecker Street at 3:14 a.m. in the rear bedroom of what the fire chief on duty said was a vacant first-floor apartment.

A neighbor tells 1010 WINS’ Juliet Papa the family had plans to rent the vacant apartment

However, there were several people living upstairs.

Firefighters rescued Yolanda Nieves, 68, who was in respiratory arrest, and her 40-year-old son, Jerry Nieves, who was in cardiac arrest. Firefighters administered CPR at the scene to both victims who were later transported to the hospital. Four other people, including two teenage boys who were rescued by firefighters from a second floor window, suffered minor injuries.

One firefighter sustained minor injuries and was treated at the scene, officials said.

“The fire started in the rear in the first floor and extended to the second floor of a wood frame building in Bushwick,” said FDNY Chief Eddie Travers. “The fire started in the bedroom, a vacant bedroom on the first floor.”

CBS 2’s Jay Dow spoke to a relative of one of the victims, and a neighbor who described what he saw when the fire was at its worst.

“Somebody called me and said that my sister’s house was on fire. I don’t know what happened. I don’t know. Somebody said my sister went to the hospital,” a relative said.

“When they were breaking in my door that I was inside, I thought it was something else. I thought it was a fight or something. Instead it was the Fire Department that busted down my kitchen door. Black, black, pitch black, very smokey, anybody could’ve suffocated from it. It was smoke so black, it was like wood they were burning,” said neighbor Ramon Rodriguez.

A faulty electrical cord appears to have caused the fire, officials said.

  • Miki D.

    MIKI D> i just found out today, March 2, 2001 , that i lost my friend Jerry Nieves…. im lost for words…..

    Peace be wtih your Jerry,,,

  • we are here to stay!!!!

    adolph, i know your last name, its HITLER!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Ratter

    Jews in space

  • Bob McLoughlin

    Suspicious????? Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!! Vacant apt. + no other known ignition source = ARSON. Bushwick has suffered from this problem for decades. Glad no life threatening injuries to the rest of the bldg. occupants. This is the type of situation that will, if not corrected, will result in lives lost, especilly when you reduce firefighter staffing. The Mayor’s reduction of Engine company staffing will only result in a greater cost of lost lives, property, & community’s.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live