L.I. Family Suffers CO Poisoning After Mom Lights BBQ Grill Indoors

BRENTWOOD, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — A Long Island woman faces endangerment charges after police said a barbecue grill she lit in her home for warmth caused several family members to suffer carbon monoxide poisoning.

Suffolk County police said Marie Claudia Blaise, 43, and her 13-year-old son were found unconscious in their Brentwood home on Merrill Street around 4 a.m. Wednesday morning.

1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria with more on what happened in Brentwood

Investigators said the woman lit the grill in the house to keep her family warm after they had run out of heating oil.

One of her daughters was found semi-conscious, while her husband and another daughter were able to walk out of the house on their own. All five were hospitalized at Southside Hospital in Bay Shore.

The other members of the family were expected by make a full recovery, but Blaise remained in serious condition and was taken to Nassau University Medical Center in East Meadow.

Police said Blaise will be charged with reckless endangerment.

SOUND-OFF: Got an opinion on this story?  Share it with us in the comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

More from Carol D'Auria
  • Murray

    Thank companies like Mobil-Exxon for tragedies like these! While they’re making billions and billions of dollars and continue to raise prices….people can’t afford to heat their homes or drive their cars! The prices are so far out of line and the big companies just don’t care anymore! Luckily no one died….but if someone had died they still wouldn’t care!

  • 1608

    If you don’t have money and you don’t have a heater, what would you do for heat?
    Dumb yes. You can’t answer unless it happens to you. Okay a grill I don’t think so.

  • Allen Warren Jr

    What’s sad about stories like these is that people are forced to do crazy things just to live a basic life. There is no real reason that home heating prices are as high as they are. Gas prices, food prices, water and electric bills… Greedy people ruining regular peoples lives for money.

  • joe k

    Stupidity is NOT a crime.,

  • jtorres

    This reminds of those people who burn their houses down on Thankgiving trying to deep fry a turkey. There’s a reason barbeques are supposed to be used outside. Had she never heard of heaters?

    • http://thetrickster.wordpress.com/ thetrickster

      They ran out of heating oil… it was probably late at night and didn’t have a heater.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live