NEW YORK (WFAN) — Jets fans, would you welcome Randy Moss to the fold?
According to multiple reports, the Jets may be interested in bringing Moss to New York. That is, if the NFL lockout doesn’t put the kibosh on the 2011 season.
“Despite what the Jets may say publicly, several league sources told CBSSports.com the team is seriously intrigued by Moss,” reported Mike Freeman on Sunday. “That doesn’t mean they’ll sign him, but it’s a possibility.”
On Monday, NFL.com’s Vic Carucci added to the report with some details of his own.
“According to multiple league insiders, the interest the Jets have in Moss is twofold,” Carucci wrote. “One, it could help them weather the very real possibility of losing at least one of their three free-agent receivers: (Santonio) Holmes, Braylon Edwards and Brad Smith. Two, it would keep Moss from returning to the Patriots, whom he is known to want to re-join.”
Jets coach Rex Ryan raved about Moss’ playmaking abilities at last month’s NFL owners’ meetings.
“Randy Moss, I’ve said all along, is a great vertical receiver,” Ryan told the Boston Globe. “And you have to roll coverage. Most teams would have to roll coverage to him. We never did, but we got burned for a touchdown. But he was a weapon. A vertical weapon down the field.”
Moss has shown long stretches of brilliance, notably with the Patriots and Minnesota Vikings. However, he’s been said to be not-so-great in the clubhouse — and when he’s unhappy it shows on the field.
Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said in January he would like to bring back all three free agent receivers — Holmes, Edwards and Smith.
“As soon as we know what the rules of engagement are,” he said, “we’ll be ready.”
Do you want Randy Moss gracing the New Meadowlands Stadium? Let us know in the comments below…