NYC To Pay June Rent For Thousands Of Formerly Homeless

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — New York City said that it will obey a court decision and pay the June rent for more than 13,000 families who moved out of homeless shelters.

An appeals court ruled Thursday that the city must continue paying rental subsidies through the Advantage program.

A class-action lawsuit was filed after the city announced in March that it would no longer maintain Advantage because the state cut its financial support.

A trial is set for this month on whether the city’s agreement to provide rental assistance through the program is a binding contract.

Do you agree with the court’s decision? Sound off in our comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

1. Nancy says:

Cut it off like it should be. Shouldn’t be paying rent for them anyway. What happened to morals? And people surviving the best way they can? Better yet, they could stand to learn how to survive on their only means.

2. JOJO says:

I am happy that the judge ordered them to continue paying. I’m on the work advantage program. For you misinformed people, I work and have children to support. I don’t get public assistant or anything that the city gives to people who don’t work.

3. Dale Auburn says:

Did the judge specify which city services must be cut to pay all that rent?

4. Taxpayer says:

How do I get NYC to pay my rent too?

5. nyc says:

This must be killing Bloomrich ! I am supprised that Bloomberg hasen’t deported all of these people that are poor , after all, this has become his city for the rich !
    Let’s see, support poor people and close fire houses ? Makes no sense.

6. DanTe says:

Take the money out of the courts’ budget.

7. KPMc says:

Sooo… people are suing for their RIGHT to receive forced charity? This world is sinking quickly

Comments are closed.