NJ TRANSIT TRAIN CRASH: Latest | Transit Changes | Video | Photos | NJ TRANSIT | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880

L.I. Mom Hits Children When Backing Out Of Driveway With SUV

CEDARHURST, N.Y. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Police on Long Island said two young children were injured as their mother was backing her SUV out of the driveway.

Nassau County police said the children, ages 10 and 2, were playing in the driveway of their Cedarhurst home when the accident occurred at 4:55 p.m. Sunday.

They said the vehicle was in drive instead of reverse when they were hit.

Both children were being treated at a hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

The vehicle was impounded for a brake check.

Sound off in our comments section below…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. DMC says:

Tragic for all those involved. Mother feels bad enough. If kids are playng near the vehicle when you open the door, make sure they are standing somewhere way off the driveway to prevent things like this from happening.

2. mike says:

she, the mother was most likely putting on her makeup, or texing her lover. And at the same time. ran the kids over in the driveway.

3. bday55 says:

Luckily, Skipper, their dog, was inside watching T.V. He has no comment about the incident.

4. RichieT says:

There starting to put extended mirrors on the front corners of the cabs, of the tractor trailers rigs. it’s a huge blind spot. I helped a driver on the west side in midtown Manhattan. make a left turn. He had no way to see how much room he had on the passenger side. Nobody would stop so he could back-up and make a wider turn. 4 light changes. He had 6ft. I got on the step into cab on the passenger side, and helped make the turn. He waved thanks. Halfway down the block he hit the air horn a couple times .

5. 2gruesome2b says:

am i missing something? if she were backing out of the driveway, and put the transmission into “drive”, instead of reverse”, would she not have moved forward, smashing in the garage door. the story is not clear, but it appears the children were in front of the vehicle, between the house and the front end, so she should have had a better view…i think i need another beer (since my wife hid the thunderbird wine).

6. yuri rochenko says:

we need to ban SUV’s !!!

we need to ban mothers from driving !!!

we need to ban vehicles backing out of driveways !!!

we need to ban people putting their cars in drive !!!

we need to ban children playing outside !!!

WE NEED TO BAN EVERYTHING !!!

1. BAN THIS MORON says:

WE NEED TO BAN IDIOTS LIKE YOU FROM POSTING NONSENSE!!!

7. T says:

SHE DIDNT DO THIS ON PURPOSE, THIS COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE. POSSIBLE THAT SHE WAS IN A RUSH, OR ABSENT MINDED SOME TIMES WHEN YOU HAVE ALOT ON YOUR MIND. I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE STEREO TYPE OTHERS, STOP JUDGING PEOPLE.

1. annie says:

Of course she didn’t do it on purpose. You have to be so careful when you pull in or out of a driveway or a parking space with one of these monster vehicles. At the very least make sure you kids aren’t in the driveway. That’s just carelessness. In the 60’s (I know a long time ago) vehicles the size of an SUV had to be registered as a commercial vehicle. It cost a lot more $$$ to register a commercial vehicle. Most of these are used to go “shopping” at a mall…

2. Harried Mom says:

Sexting while driving is hard!

3. Thomas H. Miller says:

Couldn’t happen to me. I own a normal sized car that I selected for its economy and visibility. I don;t require a two ton status symbol that will jeopardize my family and everyone around me.

8. nyc says:

Ban SUV sales ! Enough of these oversized gas guzziling small trucks. I hate when I am in traffic and a couple of these monsters are in front of me, you can’t see a damn thing ! Seems to have become a ethnic vehicle.

1. mike says:

a**h***!!

2. ilvedanny05 says:

You are absolutely right. Just because she could not handle an SUV we should definitely make it so that no one can drive an SUV. Also, we need to ban happy meals because some people let their children eat too many and then the kids get fat, and don’t forget banning talking on the cell phone while walking since people get themselves hit by cars because they don’t pay attention. Ban Christmas also, don’t want any other religions to get offended. There must be more things we can ban. I will get back to you once I think of more.

9. John says:

truck was also impounded because the SUV was reg to the state of virgina and being driven in ny, nys law states if the car is driven in ny and stays in ny for over “X” amount of time that the car must be reg in NY. I know for a fact that the brakes are fine in the truck, I ahte seeing all these people drivng around in NY with out of state plates.

1. RichieT says:

People do that all the time so they get cheaper insurance.. What state was her drivers license. That makes a difference. If it was from Virginia, and she’s living in NY, they should nail her for teat to.

2. No tickets to pay says:

They also have out of state plates so if they get parking tickets or any tickets they trash them they don’t have to pay them..

10. VY says:

People buy these monster SUV’s and they are so high off the ground they can’t see small objects or childern very close to the SUV, and the kids get run over.
    Of course someone with no special training and a regular driver’s licenses buys a 6,000 lbs SUV, and has no idea how to really control it.
    Ask the US Army how many hours of training it puts its tank drivers through.
    We give the keys of a 6,000 lbs SUV to someone with no training and off they go.
    Crazy.

1. Good job, mother says:

Read the article. She put it into drive, not reverse: total driver fail. Hopefully she loses her license.

1. Annie says:

I agree, years ago a vehicle that large would have been considered a “Truck”

2. Good job, mother says:

Read the article, doesn’t matter that it was a SUV. She put it into drive, not reverse: total driver fail. Hopefully she loses her license.

1. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

I THINK THE GUILT OF ALMOST RUNNING OVER YOUR CHILD IS ENOUGH MENTAL TORTURE. SHE MADE A MISTAKE, THAT’S WHY IT’S CALLED AN ACCIDENT. SHE NEEDS TO BE FORGIVEN. THANK GOD HER CHILDREN ARE OK

Comments are closed.