Coney Island Boardwalk Could Become Concrete

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — A concrete boardwalk on Coney Island?

That could become a reality. City officials have replaced some wooden boards with concrete strips as part of an effort to save trees, but some residents aren’t happy with the look and feel of the new surface.

The city says the historic amusement area will remain hardwood, but now it wants to start a full-blown replacement along other stretches of the boardwalk using concrete and recycled-plastic boards.

The concrete boards cost about $95 per square foot compared to $127 for hardwood. The plastic ones are about $110 a square foot.

Brooklyn’s Community Board 13 is opposing a plan to expand the project, but its recommendations are non-binding.

What do you think of the idea? Let us know below in our comments section…

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. nana says:

LEAVE OUR BOARD WALK IN IT’S ORIGINAL WAY WOOD, DON”T DESTROY OUR BOARD WALK.

2. Marine1967 says:

It’s an Urban thing, having concrete. Ghetto dwellers, are only comfortable, when surrounded by concrete. $95.00 a sq ft???? Bag of concrete $8.00, 10 minutes labor $5.00, seeing most New Yorkers, not even notice…..Priceless

3. Blackculture says:

Who cares?!?, black teen gang members are still gonna be spraying bullets everywhere.

I guess the concrete will make it easier to clean up the blood.

4. melissa says:

I am so sad I could cry!!!! I lost my virginity on the boardwalk and I will really miss that spot.I always get very excited (horney) when I go there. My husband loved it there too!!

5. Methinks the city board needs to bone up on their VH1 re-runs and catch up on Charm School.

Inadvertently or not this will drive some segment of people away

6. Ron says:

I have been building decks for 25 years and I am trying to figure out what wood or cement board would cost 95 dollars and 127 dollars per square foot….Folks Pressure treated boards cost about 3 dollars per sq ft, and timbertech and trex decking cost about 7 dollars per sq ft…look it up….where do they get these quotes for the work…the most expensive deck i ever built including railings and underside was 35 dollars a sq ft. including labor and clean up….so whos ripping us off like this accross the board…how many other projects are costing this crazy money???

7. Mike says:

This is not about money. This is about quality of life. It is ovious that wood is muuuuch better than concrete. However like everything else in this countrty quality gets worse. PERIOD.
    USA goes backward while other countries go forward !!! Look at different areas and see that difference: electronics, cars, planes, rail raods…
    the last position was loosing leadership in high speed computers to China

8. Alice says:

Hey, the fun of walking on the Coney Island boardwalk when I was a kid was trying not to get splinters in my toes!

9. liz says:

Well now let’s see who could have thought of this brilliant idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe, could it be, Bloomberg??? He always has such NIFTY ideas about this city!!!!
    I would bet money it was either that genuis or another just like him that said””hey, let’s destroy what’s left of Coney Island””!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments are closed.