Pre-Applications For NYC Same-Sex Marriage Licenses Now Available

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Same-sex couples can apply for a New York State marriage license beginning Tuesday.

In New York City, the pre-applications for a $35 license can be submitted online on the City Clerk’s web site only.

The certificates won’t be issued until July 25, a day after the Marriage Equality Act takes effect.

State law generally requires couples wait 24 hours after receiving a license before they can tie the knot.

Under special circumstances, gay and lesbian couples will be able to obtain a waiver from a judge and get married immediately. Most other same-sex couples would be allowed to get hitched the next day, on July 26.

If demand is high enough, the City Clerk’s Office is prepared to extend its hours and make more judges available to perform civil ceremonies.

It is estimated between license fees, banquets, parties and rehearsal dinners, same-sex marriage could add as much as $140 million to the city’s economy.

Meanwhile, a Long Island religious group wants the issue of gay marriage to be put on the ballot for the people of New York to vote on.

Pastor Apostol Vargas says he believes that gay marriage is an assault on family values.

“Our kids, our children, will be confused,” says Vargas. “This is bad for New York. It’s bad for the country. It’s bad for the world. [If] you really represent the people of New York, then you allow the people of New York to speak.”

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall On Long Island

Vargas, who represents the Long Island Hispanic Pastoral Organization, says he wants the gay marriage issue to be placed on the ballot.

“Over 60 percent, maybe more, of the people of New York do not want this legalization to happen. We [are] asking our public officials to allow the people to vote. Let the people decide,” he says.

The organization will have five rallies across New York State on July 24 as they try and convince lawmakers to put the issue up for a public vote.

“We expect to have there over 20,000 people in each one of those marches. The people of New York will not go down quietly,” he says.

What effects would same-sex marriage have on New York? Sound off in our comments section below…

More from Sophia Hall
Comments

1. MR GOEBBELS says:

CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION……IT SEEMS THE ALL KNOWING NATHAN IS A COWARD…………IVE CALLED HIM OUT ABOUT COMMENTS HE SAID ABOUT ME BUT HE REFUSES TO ANSWER. SO NATHAN I WILL LABEL YOU A COWARDLY GAY WHOU HIDES BEHIND HIS KEYBOARDA AND BELITTLES EVERYONE THAT DOESNT AGREE WITH HIS IDEAS………..BUT NATHAN YOUR WHOLE LIFE IS A BELITTLEMENT

2. Moon Them says:

Funny post: “This is good news for gay illegal aliens. Do you Bob, take Jose de la Cruz Sanchez Rivera Guatalamela Gualalupe in holy matrimony?

3. lana says:

Speaking as a cousin of someone who is in a gay marriage, i REALLY think it ends up confusing kids. My Cousin *Sheryl and her partner each have a child from an anonymous donor that will never be contacted. I mention this because both of these boys are at ages (11 and 9) where they WANT a dad and no amount of uncles or friends will take that place. The 11 year old even told my grandmother that he thinks it is wrong that his moms thought they would never need their dad. It breaks my heart.
    so the gay marriage part..eh whatever…but when children are created in a lab with sperm from someone who NEVER wants to be contacted…how would YOU feel knowing your mom chose that for you?

4. Jessica, Sparta, NJ says:

Congrats NY, everyone should be free to love who they want

5. Tom Garett says:

Kids are gonna be confused.. I don’t think it’s right to legalize it. God made marriage for man/ woman not man/man or woman/ woman.. It’s wrong….@Boy, I paid $32.67 for a XBOX 360 and my mom got a 17 inch Toshiba laptop for $94.83 being delivered to our house tomorrow by FedEX. I will never again pay expensive retail prices at stores. I even sold a 46 inch HDTV to my boss for $650 and it only cost me $52.78 to get. Here is the website we using to get all this stuff, PennyTop.c0m

1. lydia says:

dude you need to understand it doesn’t bother me at all if you think Im gay. I don’t happen to be, but so what if I was? You’re going to have to do better if you want to get under my skin, sicko.
      I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

6. KPMc says:

I didn’t know that fundamental constitutional rights were eligible to be put up to a vote. In that case.. Let’s suggest that we ban all hispanics from OUR country, regardless of immigration status. If we get enough votes it will be law. Second… how about we abolish all organized religions? Intelligent people know that they have caused more harm then good over the years. How does that sit with the good reverend?

As for defense of marriage I propose it be illegal to get a divorce. If we are going to protect ‘traditional’ marriage then surely this is the most egregious threat. Anyone who commits adultery… death penalty.

Why stop there??? If we can get a majority vote the brown-eyed people can legislate to exterminate all the blue-eyed people. I’m tired of those pretty people getting all the attention.

There you have it… a patriotic man of god says we can now vote on fundamental rights and whatever the majority says goes. Be careful what you pray for… God just might grant it to you.

1. b says:

Are you gay?

7. Goldalee says:

Let’s see…

PROS:
    Loving New Yorkers will be allowed, by law, to love who they love, and smile a lot, and be happy, and provide two loving, legal parents for their children, along with SOME of the rights that straight married couples enjoy.

The New York economy receives an estimated $140 million-dollar boost, and businesses blossom and thankfully, survive.

People learn that like Black Americans and American Women before them, that gay people actually have benevolent blood running through their veins, and not ill will toward their straight brothers and sisters, even when some of their straight brothers and sister wish them ill will.

And, did I mention, there will be more Love in New York.

CONS:
    Bigots will still be miserable ,and so, will do everything that they can,
    to make others miserable too.

8. badman says:

yknow what’s great

I expected to look at these comments and see a bunch of hateful cowards. But most are supportive of equal treatment for all people.

Except for a couple, including li’l old MR CAPS baiting Nathan as usual. Mr Caps, it is safe to say, has a very tiny d1c k, man breasts and an exceedingly fat/b1atchy wife.

9. Rev. Lewis says:

I am a Reverend in NYC and I will perform a same sex marriage any day of the week…Email me Americasreverend @yahoo.com

10. bobby says:

Von: if it is only man and woman, how come gays have been pairing off for long term relationships since the beginning of time? If God did not want gays around, he would have put a stop to it long ago. Jon P: very good comment.

11. nathan says:

12. nathan says:

i have to admit that one made me laugh.

13. STUMBLES says:

As a straight woman about to get married in a week…. I am happy to see that New York as finally legalized same sex marriage. If us straight people can live happily married what makes a gay person so different that they cant live the same way?. God might of created marriage for a man and a woman but he also created happiness for everyone! and if being married to the same sex makes a person happy than why not get married and live happy. People shouldn’t be concern about how other people way of living…. This is the reason why we are always at war with other contries because politian always want to be in peoples business….. CONGRATS TO THE GAY AND LESBIAN COMMUNITY =} THIS IS A BIG ACCOMPLISHMENT

PS…… AND ABOUT CHILDREN BEING CONFUSED PLEASE THEY ARE DOING THINGS THAT ARE WORSE THAN SAME SEX MARRIAGE PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO GET OVER THIS OLD FASHIION STATE OF MIND WE ARE MOVING FOWARD NOT BACKWARDS PEOPLE….

14. Paul N says:

“As far as I’m concerned, man and a woman. Always. ‘Nuf saidl.”

Nothing said, you give no logical resaon for your statement

15. Jon P. says:

Hey…..to all the straight people that OPPOSE same-sex marriage…….I didn’t get to vote on wether or not you should be allowed to get married or RE-MARRIED. Why should you get to vote on wether I should be allowed to marry. This isn’t up for debate. I’m equal to everyone of you………build a bridge and get over it!

1. littlestar says:

No kidding jon… that’s because sraits are normal, gays aren’t.

16. Hann says:

Kids are gonna be confused.. I don’t think it’s right to legalize it. God made marriage for man/ woman not man/man or woman/ woman.. It’s wrong.

1. Tom Owens says:

How will they be confused? Marriage is between TWO consulting adults that love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together and they want to get married just like every other human on this planet. JUST HOW IS THAT CONFUSING????

1. Clark A. says:

Have you ever seen a pregnant guy? Nuf said!

2. Michael H. says:

Clark, by your logic, elderly couples and infertile couples should not marry.

2. Michael H. says:

Marriage was around long before your “god” shows up on the scene.

17. Aaron says:

Don’t you mean skipping ?

18. Katherine says:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
    The Declaration of Independence. July 4th, 1776

19. Piotr says:

I can only hope that 5-7 years from now, when the divorce time for gay/ lesbians will come, courts and judges will not treat gay/lesbian marriages any different that man/ woman marriages

1. Michael H. says:

Why would they be treated any differently? Same sex and heterosexual marriages will be treated exactly the same in New York State.

20. Adam says:

i have noticed your the only one so far that feels this way , maybe the people of NYC has spoken? It does not matter to me either way , live and let live.

21. Von says:

As far as I’m concerned, man and a woman. Always. ‘Nuf saidl.

Comments are closed.