Violent Night In Newark Leaves 3 Dead, 1 Injured

NEWARK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Blood spilled in the streets of Newark in a night of violence that left three people dead and another wounded in three separate shootings in less than an hour early Tuesday morning.

Prosecutors said off-duty corrections officer Katrina Owens was shot to death after a fight broke out on Columbia Avenue around 12:30 a.m. during a Fourth of July barbecue.

Owens, a 37-year-old mother of three, had worked for the state corrections department since 2003.

1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports: Violent End To Holiday Weekend

Within 10 minutes, Jeffrey Miller’s son, Shawn, who would’ve celebrated his 21st birthday next week, was robbed and gunned down on Elizabeth Avenue just feet from his door.

“He did everything right,” Miller said. “He gave me my strength; they took a part of me away now, they took my strength away.”

Relatives say Shawn was a hardworking security guard and college student. He was the father of a 7-month-old girl.

1010 WINS’ Carol D’Auria Hears From Newark’s Acting Police Director

“Just because we live in the hood, that don’t mean the hood live in us,” the victim’s aunt said. “My nephew did not bother nobody, he would give you the shirt of his back.”

A short time later, a man was killed and a woman remains in critical condition after a shooting on Osborne Terrace.

Newark Mayor Cory Booker acknowledged the shootings on his Twitter account Tuesday.

“In 45mins last night we had 3 tragic shootings. We mourn 4 the victims. Nwk will not b deterred from our central mission 2 drive crime down,” Brooker wrote.

How do you think the violence can be stopped? Let us know below

Comments

1. SHELBY KEMP says:

SHELBY SHAWN SHOULD NOT HAVE BEN THE ONE TO GET SHOT THAT WAS MY COUSIN BOO BOO STANK STANK EVERY BODY LOVED HIM AND STEEL DO II AM YOUNG AND I WAS CRYING I NEVER HE WILL GO THIS EARLY AND I JUST MET HIM I WAS GETTING UEST TO HIM AND I LOVED HIM SO MUCH I WANTED TO FIND THE GUY WHO SHOT MY COUSIN
    BOO STANK AND THE SAD ART ABOUT IT HIS DAUGHTER IS GOIN TO GROW UP WITH OUT A DAD SHE DID NOT EVEN GET TO KNOW HIM THAT IS SO SAID I WAS SO TURN ABUT I HAVE THE IDEA OF SLEPIN IN THE GRAVE WITH HIM

2. gudda says:

like he was a gud friend like now dat he gone im gona miss him r.i.p s dot love u bra life best friends 4

3. insure4sure1 says:

hello,
    i liked your content …………………….

4. lexy says:

it never fails that we must hear bad news like this the truth of the matter is some newark residents are tired of their environment others are content with the frequent murders and robberies that go on. Truthfully speaking I lived in newark for 28 yrs and since I left I will drive through but I won’t stop.ignorance begets ignorance just as violvence begets violence as long as their are people who don’t respect life or those who are all for the sets this will continue. I’m sorry to say this but all the stadiums and arenas in the world aren’t gonna change anything that’s just a cover up or a glamour story to the true bs that goes in the city.driving people out of their homes to make these expensive townhomes where the majority of newarks residents are on welfare or receive section 8. You can still find a liquor store on every corner just about. High priced corner bodegas.all of this is related to the amount of violence in newark but no one will admit it keep the poor segregated to a certain location that way we can bring money into the city. Newark is the way it is cause their is no true one way to get rid of the crime. You take a rat and put him in a box and have a piece of cheese on the outside and see how long it takes him to chew his way out. That’s what many of residents in newark are doing and they don’t care who gets hurt in the process. My condolences to the owens family another senseless crime committed by another senseless person

5. Operation No Further Action says:

People don’t want to hear it, but I’ll write it again (and again, and again, and again).

Police in high crime areas should set up a frequent random stop-and-frisk. Car stops as well. EVERYONE gets searched. EVERYONE (black, white, hispanic, Asian, male, female, etc, etc, etc) except for very old and young. Any contraband found (unlicensed guns, knives over a certain length, drugs) gets taken away from the person, but NO FURTHER ACTION taken against them unless they resist.

You folks keep replying to me that it violates the Constitution and our right to privacy.

Instead of telling that to me, tell that to the families of the poor people killed by this never-ending violence that their “less important” RIGHT TO LIVE was violated instead.

6. DIANN says:

THESE PEOPLE WERE NOT BORN THIS WAY @ BIRTH, THE DOCTOR DOES NOT GO TO THE NURSEY & INDICATE WHAT THESE CHILDREN WILL BE WHEN THEY BECOME ADULTS ! ! ! IT’S TIME FOR US AS A NATION TO TAKE OUR NEIBORHOODS BACK FROM ALL THE MADNESS & LOOSE THE FEAR & RAISE OUR CHILDREN THE CORRECT WAY IT CAN BE DONE ! !

7. Brad says:

Is it just me or is anyone else getting sick of politicians using Twitter and/or Facebook to communitcate. How about actually getting something done rather than “tweeting”?

Comments are closed.