Good Samaritans Lift Car Off Boy Struck By Cab In Morningside Heights

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Good Samaritans are being credited with helping to save a boy’s life after he was hit by a taxi while crossing La Salle Street in Morningside Heights on Wednesday.

Witnesses said 10-year-old Jaden Torres was hit and tossed in the air before landing underneath a parked car.

“He was not driving fast at all,” said witness Sabrina Johnson. “It’s like the little kid ran into the car and the impact spinned him around and pinned in the fetal position underneath the car.”

That’s when Johnson, pediatrician Sabrina Martin and other good Samaritans sprung into action to lift the car off the 10-year-old and pull him out.

“Me, my girlfriend and two other guys lifted the car up and at that time, there was a doctor who also lives here,” said Johnson.

After lifting the car off the boy, Martin kept watch until emergency responders arrived.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ John Montone reports

“And when the cab driver got out to look, it was like he didn’t see the little kid. We just noticed the sneaker out there,” Johnson added.

The little boy’s uncle told CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman he was blown away by the good Samaritans’ actions.

“It’s just helpful that someone comes up and does that, for someone that they don’t even know,” Craig Freifelder said.

The little boy’s family said he’s at New York Presbyterian Hospital, fighting for his life. However, they said they’re glad he has a fighting chance because the good Samaritans got involved.

While some knew the child, everyone on the block said they were inspired by the men no one knew who helped lift the car.

When paramedics arrived, those same Samaritans quietly disappeared.

No charges have been filed against the driver.

What do you think of the rescue?  Sound off in our comments section below…

Comments

1. lydia says:

I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

2. DanTe says:

This is totally the cab driver’s fault. Driving through Morningside Heights, one should always be expecting some animal or another to be jumping out of nowhere. Why is he intruding into a nature preserve?

3. IgnoranteElephante says:

“These people,” what do you mean “these people”? nathan, tell these good posters about the string called the Eruv that circles the Upper West and East Sides and other Manhattan neighborhoods. Tell them why it si there. It is for exclusion.

4. Jennifer Ortiz says:

Morningside Heights a bad neighborhood? What exactly is your criteria for determining which neighborhoods are good and bad? Wealth doesn’t make a neighborhood a “good” neighborhood.

5. IgnoranteElephante says:

By the way, what group of people disproportionately make up the population of both the Upper West and East Sides?

6. f u 4 ever says:

it’s not nice to talk about your mother like that.

7. HARLEM GOING HAM says:

MORNINGSIDE HTGS IS A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD. ALLYOU EAST SIDERS ARE STUCK-UP AND FULL OF IT.I WAS BORN AND RAISED ON 106 & CENTRAL PARK WEST, WESTSIDERS ARE MUCH MORE FRIENDLY THAN U EAST SIDERS FROM HELL. THE CAB DRIVER WASN’T LOST, THERE’S A BIG GARAGE ON 126 ST. THAT’S USED BY YELLOW CAB DRIVERS. YOU SHOULD TO ALABAMA, BUY A PICK UP, JOIN THE NRA, AND FLY YOUR CONFEDERATE FLAG.

1. IgnoranteElephante says:

Nathan, I’m not surprised you don’t want ham, but I am shocked that such a guardian against bigotry and oppression such as yourself would make such a comment clearly anti diversity and with tinges of overt racism. Or, do you only defend comments against people of your ilk? I don’t make such statements lightly.

1. p8nt says:

“These people” ??? What cab drivers??? The cab driver wasn’t even doing anything wrong. For all we know, the kid ran out into the street. What an ignorant racist you are.

1. p8nt says:

certain areas?? certain people??? I’m not twisting anything around here. but your remarks speak for themselves.

1. p8nt says:

Yes, clearly I am not on the same level as you. Although I am merely trying to ascertain your meaning of “certain areas” and “certain people,” clearly my maggot brain cannot fathom your intentions.

8. amber says:

Bravo to the good in human nature!!!! One can achieve amazing things when we act before we think!

1. Sean Brennan says:

amen!

2. Scott says:

I agree, Amber. A great story about human nature and the part of it that is good. Really really good.

Comments are closed.