Report: Mets, Jose Reyes To Open ‘Secret’ Contract Talks

NEW YORK (WFAN) — The Mets may not have to wait until after the season to negotiate with Jose Reyes after all.

According to the New York Post, “secret talks” between the club and Reyes will get underway soon — if they haven’t already.

Mets general manager Sandy Alderson announced on June 21 that he had opened the door to contract negotiations with Reyes’ agent, Peter Greenberg, but was told the All-Star shortstop would rather wait until after the season to try and work out a deal.

“He wants to focus on baseball, on what’s going on on the field, and with that in mind, we will respect his wishes and hopefully pick up negotiations at the end of the season,” Alderson said last month.

A source for The Post said that was merely a ruse to protect Reyes and the Mets from daily scrutiny. Alderson wouldn’t discuss the reported Reyes contract talks on Wednesday.

“I am no longer commenting on that possibility,” he told the paper.

It’s looking more and more likely that the Mets, playing well and in the National League wild card hunt, won’t trade Reyes before the July 31 deadline. But can they afford him?

And will the money needed to lock up Reyes, who has been plagued with leg injuries throughout his career and is currently on the cusp of another DL stint, be too much of a gamble?

“It’s not about the money, it’s about me (being) comfortable,” Reyes said after his camp denied the Mets in June. “Nothing’s changed. I want to stay here. Like I always say, I want to be a New York Met all my career. But right now I just want to play baseball.”

“The Mets did the right thing reaching out to Reyes,” WFAN’s Rich Coutinho wrote last month. “It cemented the notion that they want him back. Now the question becomes for how long and how much?”

What do you think of the “secret talks” report? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. ramon batista says:

I HOPE THAT HE BREAKS HIS LEG SO HE DOES NOT GET A PENNY FROM ANY TEAMS. I HATE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SO GREEDY AND JOSE REYES IS ONE OF THEM

1. Pauk D says:

Bad news, dude. Bad karma. This kind of stuff has a way of bouncing back on one. That is, if you believe in that stuff. But in any case, be lookin’ out, brother… be lookin.’

2. Paul D says:

Just what exactly does he owe the Mets or their fans? He’d already given them a discount the first go around. If he misses the boat again, then he needs new management, or a new head.

3. Jumbo Mack Attack says:

If the Mets haven’t learned their lesson re:giving big money based on one playoff series or half a baseball season, then they should sign Reyes………..just remember Beltran and Bay…..

4. dabooch says:

Money talks Jose’ walks.

5. Bada Bing says:

Sure now that he is hurt he wants to talk contract.

So OK, sign him to a big contract. But a full coverage insurance policy should be paid from off the top of Reyes’ salary. He gets the big bucks salary but pays for insurance so the Mets get reimbursed when he’s on the DL.

6. MetFanSince69 says:

So much for “secret”. In my mind, one year finally proving promised abilities does not a 7 year/$142M contract make. Let Reyes give the Mets a hometown discount, or let him ride the pine for another team to become their version of Beltran. Don’t get me wrong, when he’s on, I love the guy, but when he’s out, which I think will be more rather than less as time goes on, I could do without the frustration…I’m frustrated enough already. I’m a Mets fan.

Comments are closed.