CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Child Dies After Choking On Electrical Cord On Long Island

View Comments
An electrical cord plugged into a wall outlet. (Credit: AP)

An electrical cord plugged into a wall outlet. (Credit: AP)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

GREENLAWN, N.Y. (WCBS 880/AP) — Police on Long Island are investigating the death of a 2-year-old girl who choked on the electrical cord of an air conditioner.

Little Malana Ingram was rushed to a hospital where she was pronounced dead just before 1 p.m. Saturday.

The lead investigator on the scene told WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall that the death appeared to be a fatal accident.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall has more on the tragic accident.

Police say the child got entangled in the cord, which was attached to an air conditioner about six feet off the ground at her home in Greenlawn. When plugged in, the cord left a large loop that the young girl apparently put her head through.

She was found by a family member.

Both family members and police performed CPR on the child before she taken to Huntington Hospital.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

View Comments