Police: Robbery Suspect Targeting Women In Chelsea, West Village

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The NYPD is on the hunt for a suspect responsible for a string of robberies in Manhattan since June.

According to investigators, the man approached his victims and snatched a chain from around their necks before running away.

All five of his targets so far have been white women in Chelsea and the West Village, with the eldest being 81-years-old. None was seriously injured.

Police describe the suspect as a black man in his 20s, between 5’7″-5’10”, with a thin build and bald head. He was last seen wearing a blue baseball cap and bright blue sneakers.

Anyone with information in regard to this incident is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477). The public can also submit tips by logging onto the Crime Stoppers website or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls are strictly confidential.

Have you noticed a decline in safety in Chelsea and the West Village lately? Sound off in our comments section below…

Comments

1. AJ DiMarcko says:

Crime does not discriminate. In the end we all lose.

2. Tabby Kat says:

Why does CBS not censor the racists above with their own inferiority comments
    really about their own impotence that they think are against “blacks”.
    Guys .Gals try to graduate High School one day .

1. Tabby Kat says:

Actually the comments are down below as this reads the last comments goes
      on the top if this blog

2. Very conservative says:

Liberalism is a mental disorder

3. lydia says:

We need to keep black people in school 12 months a year so they can learn how to read,write and speak ENGLISH.
      I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Andromeda2002 on–s’e’ek’c’ou’ga’r.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

3. blacks r a disease says:

OF COURSE THEY VICTIMS HAVE BEEN WHITE WOMEN. THEY PREY ON WHITE PEOPLE. JUST ONCE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE ONE OF THESE ANIMALS GET CHARGED WITH A HATE CRIME SINCE THEY SPECIFICALLY TARGET WHITE PEOPLE

1. Pick Pocketed in broad daylight says:

I hate to say this, but out of the 6 times I’ve been robbed, 5 of them were by N’s. One time it was an N woman! And it was a lot of money, I was pick pocketed in broad daylight. To this day I suspect that the bank teller phoned someone stationed outside the bank, who then followed me home and pick pocketed me. Why? Only the teller knew I withdrew that big sum of cash that I had saved up, to buy a used car.

4. Nec says:

Those people are always up to no good.

5. Johnny Handsome says:

Its justified. What do you expect when one is denied a job simply due to the color of his skin. You will all soon know what its like to be unemployed. No money coming in. Are you going to sit there and starve? I hope so. More pickings for me. The day soon come when 80% of the population is out of work. Lets see how racist you are them David.

6. david goldman says:

CBS didnt have to mention his color. We all already knew. And we also knew the colors of the victims. How come these don’t get classified as hate crimes? They seem to be racially motivated to me.

1. Very conservative says:

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhh……because liberalism is a mental disorder. With a name like “Goldman”, you should know that.

2. Johnny Handsome says:

David, its not a hate crime. If you needed medical treatment, are you going to go to a Broadway show? No. You are going to a hospital. If you need money, are you going to rob a welfare recipient? No, you’re gonna find a white person. Of course if I needed money, I think I might want to work for it but that besides the point. If I had to rob someone, it would be a white male. Robbing women makes you look like the coward you are.

7. MCG says:

Re: history will repeat itself, If a criminal is targeting, or seems to be targeting, a specific group there is nothing wrong with mentioning it. Of course i would advise anyone regardless of ethnicity, age or gender to be cautious because this thief is certain to attack anyone he perceives as an easy target

8. history will repeat itself says:

Oh come on now CBS, did ya have to mention the black man crime on white women part?

1. Brooklyn McDirtyshoes says:

Why wouldn’t they? If serial crimes are being committed shouldn’t we get an accurate profile of both who the suspect is and common traits of all of the victims?

1. saint says:

Don’t get me wrong that guy deserves to be caught and prosecuted, but when a white mail commits a crime they use the word perpetrator not white man or white person in all occasions. The only way you would know if the person was white, you would have to see his picture!

2. saint says:

SORRY, I MEANT WHITE MALE. I MUST HAVE MAIL IN MY MAILBOX; I BETTER GO CHECK IT!

2. Johnny Handsome says:

Why not? I’m a black male. I was once robbed by a black male [I was 12 at the time]. My mother was robbed by a black male. If there is a person robbing people in any area, I’d like to know about him – race, weight, height…. I realize that the out-the-closet racist here will equate one black male stealing to mean all black males steal but racist for the most part are dumber than dirt so it matters not.

1. Wylessly says:

…dumber than dirt….I like that one!
        Haha.

2. richard Allen says:

We need to keep black people in school 12 months a year so they can learn how to read,write and speak ENGLISH…..

Then do the same for inmates…you want out early? Read the NYTimes in front of a parole board

Comments are closed.