N.J. Governor Christie Released From Hospital After Experiencing Breathing Problems

HILLSBOROUGH, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie was released from the hospital Thursday evening around 6:30 p.m. after undergoing a series of tests following an episode of breathing difficulty.

Christie addressed reporters shortly after leaving the hospital and said that he feels fine and expects to be back on the job Friday.

“The folks in there did a great job, ran whole battery tests on me, took a whole lot of blood.  Everything came back normal.  You know, it’s been a long time — I think since law school — since I had to go to the hospital for my asthma,” Christie said.

Christie Tells Reporters He Feels “Fine.” 1010 WINS’ Al Jones Reports

Christie, 48, started having breathing problems while he was on the way to an event at a farm in central New Jersey.

“I took the rescue inhaler that I have — didn’t have the effect it normally has. I started to feel light-headed and spoke to the troopers and said that I wasn’t feeling well — apparently didn’t look all that well,” Christie said.

When asked if his health scare had anything to do with his weight, Christie answered “I think the weight exacerbates everything.”

“You know, I’ve been pretty candid about that right from the start of my public career,” he said. “The lighter I am, the healthier I’ll be, so I’m sure it affects it. Though I gotta say, I don’t think it had any effect on today. I think it is much of the atmosphere this week. It’s been very humid.”

Maria Comella, Christie’s deputy chief of staff, said the governor’s EKG, blood work and chest X-ray came back “normal.”

“He started to feel a little bit slight of breath, sort of typical for him, not unusual for him dealing with asthma. He alerted the detail,” Comella said.

The governor, who was diagnosed with asthma when he was 15 and uses an inhaler, was taken to Somerset Medical Center around 10:30 a.m. out of an “abundance of caution,” according to spokesman Michael Drewniak. Asthma is a serious condition that can be made significantly worse during high heat and peak allergy season.

“They’ve ruled out anything else more serious anything to do with cardiac issues have been ruled out,” Comella said.

Christie’s wife of 25 years, Mary Pat, who works part-time as a vice president at Cantor Fitzgerald investment bank in New York, came to the hospital to be by her husband’s side. She later left smiling and waving to the media, on her way to one of their son’s baseball games.

“She walked around that curtain and looked in my eyes, and she saw I was fine. I saw her let out an exhale like ‘okay,'” Christie said.

And with the media surrounding the hospital, the governor was inside making phone calls, texting colleagues and friends he was fine. Then he said he turned on the Mets game, hoping to relax, reports CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis.

“They almost sent me over. They had a 9-3 lead and wound up winning 10-9, so, as usual, they almost sent me to the wrong end,” Christie said.

Christie’s weight has made his health a matter of public speculation and comment. Christie recently told CBS 2’s Christine Sloan he’s been dropping pounds. Whether his weight attributed to his problem Thursday only doctors can say, but the governor has talked about it in the past.

“The thing that I feel most guilty about, my weight,” Christie said. “I’m really struggling, been struggling for a long time with it. And I know that it would be better for my kids if I got it under control.”

The New Jersey governor also told reporters Thursday that he worked out with his trainer on Wednesday morning, something he said he does three days a week.

During the 2009 campaign, Democrat incumbent Jon Corzine ran an ad accusing Christie of “throwing his weight around” to which Christie responded with, “man up and say I’m fat.”

Christie once admitted weighing in at 550 pounds, but said in February he had dropped a significant amount of weight. Christie remained coy on exact figures, though.

“I’m not going to put any numbers on it because you just set yourself up for failure,” he said at the time.

Please leave a comment below…

More from Al Jones
Comments

1. Meme Meyagi says:

now that chrisite killed off planned tunnel connecting nj to ny, he can swim across hudson and back.

2. JMS says:

I came on here hoping for some good natured, funny fat jokes and all i see is allot of mean spirited nasty people sniping at each other and taking potshots at christie.The last lean and fit governer we had turned out to be a closet pole smoker who resigned his post so to all those people saying he’s too fat to govern be careful what you wish for (b/t/w/, i personally had no problem w/McGreevy being gay but it did throw the state into a tailspin when he resigned).

1. badman says:

sorry if we hurt your feelings, JMS. You must be a fatty too.

and if you “had no problems with McGreevey being gay,” maybe rethink your use of pejoratives like “pole smoker.” Unless you’re one too – maybe then it would be OK???

3. basil fomine says:

DOES ANYBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND THINK THIS FAT SACK OF RAW SEWAGE HAS A CHANCE TO BE PREZ.HE WILL NOT MAKE TO A 2ND TERM AS GOV.

1. basil fomine says:

HE SO FAT HE SLLEPS IN A RING

1. Zilly says:

Ring? Do you mean an above-ground pool?

4. Bucko says:

I LOVE PACKING FUDGE

5. LazyFatUselessUnionParasite says:

Waaaaaahhhh! I’m an over weight, break taking, girl ogling, chain smoking,overtime stealing, tax sucking parasite. I Am A UNION WORKER! I want to retire at fifty, get a six figure pension. And I want YOU TO PAY FOR IT!!
    I’ve destroyed industries and the state of New York..I deserve it!!!. Thanks Dems!!!!

1. Vienna Joe says:

To ‘LazyFatUselessUnionParasite’: Painting with a broad brush is the tactic of the modern day GOP / CEO office holders. You can find people who fit the description you have illustrated in every walk of life. Unions were formed many years ago to afford some level of work place safety as well as to get fair living wages and benefits for working class people. This was made necessary by the fact that many employers were ruthless, money worshipers who wanted it all for themselves. As the GOP continues its war on unions, less & less employees are being represented. As the number of union members goes down so too has their working conditions, wages & benefits. The CEO’s continue to get rich on the backs of the middle class, the elderly & the disabled.

1. Bucko says:

That line of diatribe resonates with overpaid union sponges and greedy-thug union bosses and a few liberal Democrat “useful idiot” thralls and very few others.

Even the ruling-class Democrat hacks know better; they play the charade because the unions have an incestuous relationship with the Democrats, and ensure a bloc of perennial Democrat voters.

But tell us about sweat shops and the Industrial Revolution, Joe. Tell us about the rabbits, George, tell us about the rabbits.

2. billy says:

Corporate greed is destroying America. I read somewhere that 4% of the U.S. population now controls 80% of the wealth of this nation; which is like saying that 96% of the U.S. population no longer has anything to do with the economic system of this country which is capitalism. In addition to the upper middle class, lower middle class, working poor, you now have the “slave class” People with virtually no material assets, they can’t own a car or pay for their children’s education, barely afford their monthly rent in a slum or ghetto, and yet they labor for the minimum wage at companies where their multi-millionaire CEO works on becoming a billionaire. The CEO class has arrogantly forgotten the basic rule of kindergarten: SHARE YOUR TOYS WITH OTHERS!!!!!!!

2. LazyFatUselessUnionParasite says:

AND I ALSO TAKE BIG MANHOODS DEEP IN MY THROAT AND SWALLOW EVERY LAST DROP OF NOURISHMENT

6. Me says:

I cannot believe you people vote! Unbelievable bunch of nasty people. How many of you are using the tax money I pay. You go Gov. Christie. My prayers are with you and your family.

1. forabetterNJ says:

All my thoughts are with Gov Christie and his family. I was a registered Dem but have had it with their corruption. Thank God we have a great Governor who is doing a great job. I don’t want to end up like New York or Calif-bankrupt.

7. Mustapha Jones says:

The very people who cared for him are the ones from whom he is trying to steal their benefits. This is a despicible whale of an elephants hindquarters who has turned into a dictator, turned facts into buckets of snot flying from his lips like rabid froth as he distorts every single thing to suit himself. This backstabbing liar campaigned with smiles and handshakes, then burned us like Grant burned Atlanta! And he gets BETTER benefits than most even while he smirks as we get sick or worse without proper care. Please…….eat more burgers!!!

1. DR. MENGLE,GOT TWINS? says:

NOT GRANT…SHERMAN…AND NO NOT THAT TANK..THE TANK OF NEW JERSEY,HAS EATEN ATLANTA AND NJ….HELLO..HE LIVES TO EAT..550 LBS.

8. Perdition 101 says:

He probably had a bad case of gas from the bucket of onion rings he inhaled.
    I here the Dems give him the galluping trots as well like they do the rest of the country.
    Poor guy!

9. NowListenUp says:

Fat and in charge!

10. badman says:

Tear each other apart? How sad we’ve become??? Get out! CBS NY web site ROCKS!!! It gives everyone (yours truly included, of course) a chance to make anonymous comments and act like dumba$$ 6th graders!

These comments are HILARIOUS!! Keep them coming, kids!

1. PIKE BISHOP JR. says:

exactly my sentiments..i sure wont disappoint you either…just wait when the jersey blimp explodes..they will need a crane to get him out of his house..and i hate the fat bloated toad cause of what he does and says..his actions and eating habits are out of control..some idiots here are so peeved..the anger..the rage..are these people still living a fantasy life? i believe they are..if he farted and killed one of their precious vermin so called children..then he is now..a bad fat man.

11. j says:

NO SYMPATHY FOR A REPUBLICAN UNTIL THEY KNOW HOW TO HAVE COMPASSION AND SYMPATHY FOR OTHERS,,,SO FAT MAN,,,,NOONE CARES ABOUT YOU,,,

1. JLives with Mommy says:

Caps lock = boy living in mommy’s basement…And it’s NO One. Not NOONE……….Boy

1. PIKE BISHOP JR. says:

and your still nursing on ya mothers tits..got milk honey?

12. Peter says:

no rest for you Christie now get back to work!!!!

13. tina says:

Tears are streaming down my face, I sure hope all the people he laid off still have health ins. to see doctors like he can!! That’s that meanest in him causing his problems…SMH

14. Johnson and Johnson says:

Now he gets sick do we have enough tape to fix the Hole in this BLIMP

1. badman says:

LOL

comment of the week. hand this man a prize! WOOT WOOT

15. Paul N says:

I don’t like the governor but I hope he is OK and gets serious about losing weight.

16. Peter says:

I hope he is doing better.

1. Peter says:

WELL I LIKE TO SU CK C O CK.WHATS WRONG WITH THAT????////

17. Zilly says:

Sir, can you please step away from the Big Mac and Super-sized Fries and Soda. Sir, I repeat, step away from the Big Mac and Super-sized Fries and Soda.

18. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

“There is no sincerer love than the love of food.”
    – George Bernard Shaw http://911essentials.com

19. Joseph Didonato says:

He is horrible person, he could care less about working people, the sooner he goes the better!

20. linda says:

the fact that he is fat its a FACT
    but the fact that he is no good governor
    its a SHAME

21. darla says:

You can see the hate people have for each other in all of these comments. What happened to the American people working together for the good of our beloved USA It’s really scary. It kind of reminds me of the civil war era. I guess the two sides just don’t want to work with each other to reach a solution that’s good for both sides. I guess everyone would rather tear each other apart and by doing so, tear apart our country. How sad we’ve become. Ok start your nasty, mean comments.

1. Vienna Joe says:

Christie draws the wrath of me as a middle class republican because of his venomous attacks upon decent working class Americans. He & his kind would like nothing more than to see every middle class person paid minimum wage and zero benefits. He paints with a broad brush when condemning union members and public sector employees which is completely unfair and what is says is totally blown out of proportion. He’s not a good person. That being said, I don’t wish him ill health, unfortunately for him his apparently horrible diet and lack of exercise speaks clearly that he does not share my sentiments.

2. John says:

Hey Vienna Joe, ?, badman and all the rest of you unintelligent bird brains… to quote “?,” why don’t you each STFU and go back to your basement bedroom! All the best Gov. Christie. Jersey needs you.

1. Irine says:

like a hole in a head

2. Vienna Joe says:

John, why the baseless attack upon me? I have stated nothing but facts. If you can’t handle facts than I guess you’ll continue to support this poor excuse for a human being. And to correct the last sentence of your post, rich corporate fat cats need him … the hard working middle class need him to pack his lunch bucket and leave office sooner rather than later.

3. PIKE BISHOP JR. says:

dear john..your wife just met a lesbian..goodbye too you..and bye the way..vienna joe is right but he is so kind to the fat lard ass new jersey golem..me i hope he breaths his last the fat pig…like he really gave 2 cents about the working people of new jersey…we hate the cretins who do nothing but harm…let the blob go on a diet..like he asked new jersey..fat ass hypocrite..bloaTED AND FAT..AT 48..BET HE DONT SEE 50..WANNA MAKE A BET?

4. John says:

AND YES I DO LOVE THE TASTE OF MANHOOD IN MY MOUTH UNTIL IT EXPLODES AND I SWALLOW ALL THE NOURISHMENT

3. julie says:

I really, really like this man. He has the courage to state the facts without worrying about coddling the unions, progressives, marxists, or any other un American group. Stay well, Governor Christie. Would like to see an honest man like you run for president one day.

1. Vienna Joe says:

He’s very busy “coddling” the wealthiest people while destroying the way of life for the elderly, the disabled and the middle class. Anyone other than rich corporate executives & wall street investor types have no good reason to support a person like Christie unless they are self destructive.

2. DR. MENGLE,GOT TWINS? says:

julie..what drugs are you on?????

3. ? says:

JULIIE ARE YOU NICE AND WET?????????/

4. j says:

HEY DARLA, YOU TWIT THE REPUKES HAVE BEEN SPEWING HATE FOR OVER 30 YEARS,,YOU MUST BE A DAMN KID

5. Me says:

exactly Darla. We are nice to the people who want to kill us and destroy our country, but horrible to each other.

22. mark says:

The manatee in a suit has a health issue?? I’m shocked, just shocked. He should resign from office immediately so he can devote all of his time to becoming a healthy person.

23. FA Barton Sr says:

I hope he’s okay,,,,,,,I think he just needs to lose about 300 lbs. He goilng to need to lose many pounds anyway if he runs for Pres……………

1. Joe says:

CBS news is a incompetent. Christie said that he weighed 550 as a JOKE during a radio interview, when asked his weight. It was actually pretty funny, and he delivered the line with a nice dramatic pause.
      That CBS is reporting “550” as a fact is even more funny.

24. Vienna Joe says:

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp!!! PPFFFFFFFFFFTTT!!! Ahhhhhh!!!!! An unidentified hospital source said that the enormous tub of fast food had simply reached his AM greasy food quota for the day. After he passed lot’s of gas out of both ends, a nursing staff wearing complete haz-mat protective gear including respirators said that they would be sending the massive hater of the middle class off to an Italian restaurant for a ‘much needed and terribly delayed lunch’ (Chubssie-Ubbsie’s words).

1. badman says:

when he dies, we’ll smoke him and deli slice him – instant mortadella

1. Vienna Joe says:

Extra stanky / extra pompous !!! What an embarrassment, he’s so impressed with himself that he does know enough to be seek professional help for his eating OCD.

25. Hank Warren says:

Hopefully he’s not on ObamaRomneycare, he’ll be dead by nightfall. ObamaRomneycare, yet another violation of our rights. Add it to the list of gov’t violations of our rights:
    They violate the 1st Amendment by placing protesters in cages, banning books like “America Deceived II” and censoring the internet.
    They violate the 2nd Amendment by confiscating guns.
    They violate the 4th and 5th Amendment by molesting airline passengers.
    They violate the entire Constitution by starting undeclared wars for foreign countries.
    Impeach Obama, vote for Ron Paul.
    (Last link of Banned Book):

1. mark says:

Hank, you should move to another country. America clearly isn’t meeting your expectations. You should also try to find a new brain, the one you have clearly isn’t meeting anyone else’s expectations.

26. The only intelligent person here apparently. says:

Looks like all the New Jerseyites on the government pay list are on these message boards today. Guess what, we’re tired of paying huge salaries for your laziness! I hope this guy runs for President because the entire country could really use what hes taking to New Jersey!!!

1. badman says:

nope, I’ve always worked in the private sector. Christie won’t run for prez. He’s got something to hide. And, he’d die before his 1st term was up (maybe even before the election).

helicopter ride, anyone??

2. forabetterNJ says:

You’re so right!!!!!!!

27. badman says:

won’t be long before this lardbucket kicks it. what a fine example he sets.

28. TS says:

I’m not sure why anyone’s saying CC wants to tell other people “how to live,” though the current occupant of the White House and his wife certainly do (while partaking of every imaginable dietary excess they deem their royal highness worthy of). I think a lot of Americans will relate to CC’s weight problems, much as they sympathized with Bill Clinton’s infidelity. He wears his big-manliness with dignity and good humor, and I only regret his staff didn’t proudly characterize him as “LARGE and IN CHARGE!”

29. The only intelligent person here apparently. says:

Hope he gets back on track soon so he can continue cleaning up the overpaid, lazy, government unions there. Especially the teachers.

1. Vienna Joe says:

It’s time to admit the truth, the very wealthy CEO’s and Wall street investors put our country in this massive hole. Blaming the working class is the strategy of these very same rich folks. It’s known as deflecting blame (aka: lying).

30. OTB says:

BREAKING NEWS: Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has just given birth to a 16lb baby boy at Somerset Medical Center.

31. Selina says:

550 pounds?? Really? Dude, diet and exercise!! And he wants to dictate how to live to other people? He has absolutely no self control, that’s obvious! He claims to have lost weight – I doubt it was much! The amount of fat emcompassing his vital organs makes him a heart attack waiting to happen! Hope the people of NJ have a good Lt. Governor to take his place!!

1. Brad Wilson says:

Since when has the governor told someone how to live their life? That’s a dimocrat thing.

2. Taybor says:

sadly, we do not.

32. Guy who once saw Lyle Alzado at Newark Airport says:

In more important news, I just drank an ice cold 12oz can of CocaCola.

33. whyme says:

i was just informed dallas bbq customers’ info were compromised with name, credit card, etc leaked. this is stupid as american express warned me! dallas bbq should take full responsibility to warn all customers and pay for my credit check and monitoring!!!

1. badman says:

that’s what you get for eating there, slobbo

34. A says:

We’ll probably have to pick up the tab for a state funeral for this Tub O Lard.

35. frusterated says:

*GET OUT OF OFFICE, and lose weight..

the “get out of office” part is key. couldn’t care less if he loses the weight. he can drown in his fat, as long as he stops making decisions in NJ.

1. ZenJedi says:

By your comment you probably work in the NJ government as a CRY BABY and are offended for paying into your own pension. whaaaaaaaa, cry baby!

36. p-dub says:

Pull the NJ Clean Air Act will ya?!? tssk

37. Vienna Joe says:

“The Governor is extremely grateful for the quality of care he is receiving this morning and has nothing but praise for the world-class doctors, nurses and staff.”

Christie went on to state that although they do a fantastic job he still feels that nurses, hospital staff, EMT’s, Firefighters & law enforcement officers are paid too much money & their benefits are too generous. Christie feels that these folks should be compensated closer to what a part timer at Wal Mart or McDonalds (The same place where he had consumed six extra greasy breakfasts just this AM) are given. T

These are the kinds of problems that a morbidly obese person can expect to go through with great frequency. The forward thinking GOP knuckleheads think this guy is a perfect candidate for the oval office. Amazing. I wish no ill will toward this human vacuum of a man, but he’s a terrible governor and is horrendous for the middle class. BTW speedy recovery, diet & exercise …

1. CAPTAIN STUPID says:

BRILLIANT..YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE FAT GOLEMS COFFIN..ALL THOSE OVER PAID EMERGENCY POLICE FIREMEN WORKERS..TO SAVE THIS FAT ANIMAL..OBESE PEOPLE DO NOT THINK IN A NORMAL WAY..ITS LIVE TO EAT…CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW CLOGGED HIS BRAIN ARTERIES ARE? HE EATS..THEN THINKS..

38. Amelia says:

I wonder if they flew him to the hospital in a helicopter…

1. ? says:

NO, FLAT BED TRUCK

39. Vik says:

Um … lose some weight, Governor?! ‘Nuf said.

Comments are closed.