What Potholes? Department Of Transportation Gushes About Supposed Smooth Roads

Drivers And Residents, However, Are Singing A Completely Different Tune

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) — Potholes were the talk of the town during the brutal winter. Now, in the middle of summer, New York City’s Transportation Department is crowing about the roads being steady and smooth.

The DOT said on Thursday the city’s streets are in their best shape in six years. They said 72.3 percent of the roads were in good condition as of June 30. That number is up from 70.8 percent in 2010.

Told that the city was bragging about the roads, one livery driver who spoke with 1010 WINS’ Al Jones greeted the news with a bit of skepticism.

1010 WINS’ Al Jones Speaks With Skeptical New Yorkers

“That’s not true — lot of potholes and they never fix it. I don’t know if they keep the money, what they’re doing with the money,” he said.

Another woman, named “Mary” said she finds almost all the streets she drives on are in desperate need of work.

“You find cracks, you find potholes and dirty,” she said.

She also complained that the roads were bad on West 125th Street in Harlem, where she spoke with Jones, in addition to in Washington Heights.

Do you agree with the assessment from the Department of Transportation?  Share Your Thoughts In The Comments Section…

More from Al Jones
Comments

1. Dan says:

Plain garbage! Try riding or walking on Bay Parkway & 86 Street, Brooklyn.

2. Debra Anne says:

The ENTIRE stretch of 65th street in Brooklyn is disastrous. My son hit a pothole on his bike and broke his collarbone.

3. betzyross says:

Ah, earth to DOT…15th St between 9th and 10th. There isn’t even and inch of black top road left.

1. emmas says:

Anyone can make a statistic say whatever they want; it all depends how you manipulate the data. For the DOT to say that 72.3% of the city’s roads are in good condition is ridiculous.I am a 28 years old doctor, mature and beautiful.and now I am seeking a good man who can give me real love , so i got a username Lindasunny2002 on–a’ge’l’es’s’da’te.c óm–.it is the first and best club for y’ounger women and old’er men, or older women and y’ounger men,to int’eract with each other. Maybe you wanna ch’eck ‘it out or tell your friends!

4. john says:

Yeah, and there are no summons “quotas” for the NYPD, and the NYPD never downgrades crime reports to make the Mayor look better. Also, the streets were plowed and passable during last winter’s snow storm. The lies out of city hall never end.

5. Tom says:

The streets are awful in Manhattan – the DOT are a bunch of liars and cronies

6. allyson says:

LIAR!!! There are streets all over the five boroughs that are in need of repair. The streets are the worst it’s ever been in years. LIAR!!!!

7. FEDUP says:

The Grand Central at La Guardia is one of the best examples of how bad the DOT is. They’ve been working on the central section between the two sides for over one year and it shows very little progress. The street is so bad, has so many bumps and potholes that (I drive on that section 4 times a week (school and back) I spent over $1000 in mechanics fees since last year ( at one point one of my tire literally came out).
    I just don’t understand how something like this is possible in this country. Who is supervising these people? Who makes the planning? Is it because of the unions these workers can do what they want (including not working)?

8. Rich Scorce says:

It’s time for drivers to organize. The bikers through TA and other groups have the ear of the Bloomberg administration and it will only continue if Quinn becomes mayor. Now is the time to find a candidate who will rip up these bike lanes. Look how much money comes into the city coffers through auto related buinesses, use taxes, parking meters and fines. We should not be tossed aside anymore.

1. emmas says:

9. Rich Scorce says:

The lies that come out of the Bike Commissioner’s mouth are unbelievable. One of the worst streets is right outside the office of the DOT. Worth between W Bwy & Church. There has been a pothole (just as you make the turn onto Worth from W Bwy) since last year. Houston between Ave B and the FDR is bad. Don’t fix the streets when you can build more sitting plazas and bike lanes!!

10. midi-man says:

The roads are bad. The DOT reminds me of Mayor Mike when the snow storm hit! He was in the Bahamas’ on a golf course saying there was no problem we were up to our waste in snow. Make you wonder about the whole city organization under his control.

11. Mark says:

nyc is disgusting, and it’s only getting worse. taxes, tolls, tickets are all going up and the city isn’t doing anything to show for it. Its reaching a critical point.

12. nathan says:

WHAT A SACK OF SH IT…THIS TRANSPORTATION TERRORIST B I T C H IS A FI LTHY SMELLY C U NT

13. David Brier says:

This city’s roads are the worst I have seen them in all the years I have been driving. They waste money on bike lanes that are under utilized and virtually all roads are in some need of repair. The tolls are insane and the city is becoming more and more like a cesspool.

14. MAK says:

They have got to be kidding!

I live in Queens and I have never seen potholes like I’ve seen this year. And because the DOT is not repairing them, they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger.

15. Staten Island Rob says:

Hylan Blvd has never been worse. Miles of roadway that has major potholes and no sign of them been fixed.

Also, I think the West Shore Expressway has to be the worse road in NYC.
    The right lane is so bad in both directions that trucks drive 50 on the shoulder of the roadway. No ones uses the right hand lane…

1. Rich from Queens says:

How about Richmond Avenue? You take your life into your hands when you driver on it.

16. EZ BKNY says:

Tell the commish to come to Brooklyn(junction of Flatbush ave and Nostrand).I’ve been dodging the same potholes since last winter. I drive to Miami bch every summer I find that NY and NJ have the most tolls and also the worst roads. Where is all the money going?

17. Rebel Dean says:

I just go around them on my bike I can take them or leave them.

18. Ros says:

I travel a lot. NVC has the MOST potholes and the worst roads anywhere. Other cities in the US, small towns, rural areas and European cities all have better roads than we do. DOT needs to re-examine their standards!

19. Ed . P says:

I know for a fact the roads are in the worst shape of my 18 years of owning a car… i Never said “ouch” or “that hurt” so much going over some holes. Not for me, but for my car. She is taking a beating this year., like never before. and its not funny, cause I cant afford a new one.

EDD

20. Danny Funaro says:

Since when was less than 3/4 good?

21. Firstrey Lastrey says:

Everyone in the city should flood the Mayor’s office and DOT with pictures of potholes. We should make this a campaign; spread the word!

22. Firstrey Lastrey says:

The commisioner needs to get the hair off her eyes and the bike lanes and get around in a car like the rest of us and take a look at the roads in the city’s 5 boroughs. She is just one of Bloombeg’s puppets and is just repeating the Mayor’s word. Everyone knows the Mayor does not care one bit about the roads and drivers, he only cares about bike lanes.

23. Rich from Queens says:

Anyone can make a statistic say whatever they want; it all depends how you manipulate the data. For the DOT to say that 72.3% of the city’s roads are in good condition is ridiculous. The city’s roads are in the worst condition I have ever seen in more than 40 years of driving. Why fix washboard roads or potholes when you can waste money on bike lanes and potted plants in the intersections?

24. Manhattan Driver says:

Are you kidding me? I drive in Manhattan every single day and there’s hardly a street that is not a serious threat to my tires and rims, not to mention torturing my shock absorbers. Try midtown Madison Avenue, supposedly one of the classiest streets in the world… it’s like being tossed around in a milkshake mixer! Just ridiculous to say the streets are in good shape, a hallucination to say that!

Comments are closed.