Deadly NJ TRANSIT Crash At Hoboken Terminal | Watch CBS2 LiveCBS 2 Video | Transit Latest | 1010 WINS | WCBS 880 | Photos | FacebookTwitter | NJ TRANSIT Hotline: 855-336-1774 | JCMC Hotline: 201-915-2691

Dognappings Rampant In Brooklyn; Reward Offered For Stolen Yorkie ‘Matsu’

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — You might think twice before tying your dog up as you pop into a store in New York City. Desperate for cash, criminals are going to the dogs.

Reports of dognappings have skyrocketed across the country since last year and in Brooklyn, three family pets have been snatched off the street in just the last month.

“Everybody needs money and they’ll sell them,” said Zonia Otero of the West Side.

No one knows that better than heartbroken Joan Hong of Fort Greene, putting up flyers offering a $1,000 reward for her 2-year-old Yorkie Matsu.

WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman With Joan Hong

“No questions asked. I just want him home,” said she said.

On Friday, Hong’s boyfriend tied the dog to a pole in front of a deli in Fort Greene, went inside and came back out to find Matsu stolen.

Matsu (file / credit: Joan Hong)

Matsu (file / credit: Joan Hong)

“Either they’re stealing the dog to just give it to their family or they actually just turn it around and sell it, either on Craigslist or eBay,” Hong told WCBS 880’s Alex Silverman.

The American Kennel Club reported a sudden 32-percent rise in dog thefts nationwide. From January to July of last year, 150 dogs were reported stolen. So far this year, the crimes rocketed to 224.

The pets are stolen during home invasions, out of parked cars, and even ripped from owners’ arms.

“Criminals are taking pets trying to sell them to unsuspecting customers either online or out of a van on the roadside,” the Club said.

The dogs most likely to be stolen are smaller breeds or puppies worth hundreds of dollars. The smaller the dog, the easier to snatch.

“Do not leave your dog unattended, in your car, in front of deli, in your back yard. Make sure it’s locked up and inaccessible. Someone wants your dog,” Hong said.

She checked the deli’s surveillance camera footage, Craigslist and eBay, but had no luck yet. She said she will never give up until Matsu is home again.

“Please bring him home,” she said. “My boyfriend and I argue about this. He’s angry and wants to kill this person. I just want this person to know that he’s our child.”

Anyone with information is asked to call 917-587-1276.

Do you ever leave your dog unattended? Let us know below…

More from Alex Silverman
Comments

1. up yours says:

Mikey the moron…please update…the momma jokes are as old and lame as you!! And besides my “momma” WOULD NOT miss you…she is a REALLY good shot!!!

2. Bev Rose says:

I would NEVER leave my babies (yorkies) tied up alone outside – I”d take them in with me & if the store objects, I’ll go to another store – easier than replacing my dogs

3. MIKE says:

@ up yours..

YOUR MOMMA WOULD MISS ME!!

I DID IT TO HER IN HER NOSE!!

4. Andie Marshall says:

You can always bring your child into the store, not so with dogs. Stop blaming the victim. The dog nappers are totally in the wrong here. The best advice is Lo Jack for doggies so the police can track down these a-holes and slap them with theft, kidnapping AND animal cruelty. That’ll learn them about stealing loved ones, and to stick to food and trinkets if they’re hungry.

5. ONE HUNG LOW says:

AH SO!!!!!! MY FAVORITE APPETIZER……BERRY BERRY GOOD

1. Embrace Love says:

come over im cooking fried bull terrier
      and yorkie soup

6. CUTTUE says:

NOTE TO DOGNAPPERS: PLEASE COME TAKE MINE!

7. Emjay says:

Anyone who leaves their dog tied up in front of a store is asking for it…it makes me sick when I see this walking in Brooklyn…I would NEVER leave my dogs unattended in any way, whether that be in front of a store (even for 2 mins) or in a car…never have. Answer me this people, if you love your pet as you do a child, would you leave your 2 year old child tied up to a pole outside of a store while you run in for a few minutes? I highly doubt it…so don’t leave a pet…

8. FritZ Von says:

K-9 harvesting is a time honored, traditional way of feeding ones family in difficult economic times. The President himself encourages activities such as these, in order to bring us closer to the lesser cultures of the world.

1. Embrace Love says:

Michele Bachman cooks pitbulls at her gay clinic
      go visit it

9. Red says:

Just curious…if she views her dog as her child, does that mean that she (or her BF) would have tired their child outside of a deli? Sad story, but this person is clearly irresponsible!

10. Buttbisquit says:

I’m glad. Dog culture in NYC is ridiculous and utterly disgusting. I can’t believe what some dog owners let their dogs do. Then they let them roam all over their bed and furniture.

Notice how women love this…little men on leashes…no need for a nasty boyfriend.

What about the queens with the accessory dogs…return that S%$%t back to barney’s!

Later dogs ruff ruff

1. Patty Gustafson says:

You my friend are not any smarter than the droppings these “designer dogs” leave behind! Glad indeed….I will be when misfortune comes YOUR way!! Have the day you deserve…moron!!

11. cygon says:

new yorkers will steal anything that is not bolted down.

12. rwln says:

solution. make it a felony to harm/steal a dog.

13. MIKE says:

ITS A DAWG…DOGG.. A DOGGY…. WHO THE FREAK CARES!!!!!

SLEEPING WITH, EATING OFF OF LICKING IN THE FACE…JUST FLAT OUT DISGUSTING!!!!

ANIMALS BELONG IN THE ZOO. I HOPE THE PERSON TOOK THE DOG BACK TO ITS HOME!!!!!…THE ZOO!!!!!!

1. Janet Bickford says:

Shut up, stupid.

2. geo says:

Sex with you migh tnot be much more to brag about

3. up yours says:

And you belong in a zoo too…oh wait that is too good for a pervert like you!!!!!

14. uwsgrrll says:

Beware: Many times these dogs wind up in auction for animal research.

Please keep an eye out for your dogs, cats & children.

1. geo says:

many get stolen for fight dog baiting too. It is appauling. Then again this person was a dumb ass leaving the dog tied up outside – where was his head?

15. DGM says:

You can’t sell a dog on eBay.

16. fred says:

you touch any one of my three dogs, you’ll be singing soprano for the rest of your life (if you live)!

17. Lisa says:

Amazing how people wouldn’t leave a ten-dollar bill on the car seat, but would leave the animal they claim to love.

18. Dave R says:

It’s completely irresponsible to leave your dog tied up outside while you go in a store. Really hope they find their dog but seriously you are inviting this to happen if you do this in Brooklyn. I’m a dog owner and would never leave my dog vulnerable to something like that.

19. Mr Kimchi says:

Actually, Dog meat is a Korean delicacy.

20. z says:

How stupid to be more concerned about feeding her fat face than taking care of her dog.

1. I actually read what I comment on. says:

It was him, or at least that’s what it said in the article you didn’t bother to read.

21. Tommy says:

1. Young lady from Indiana is dead
    2. Unless you are going to Indiana to look for her, shut up.
    3. if you and my or any dog were falling off a cliff, guess which one I would choose to save?

1. MIKE says:

ALL OF YOU BITE ME!!!!!!!

A FRIGGIN DOG….SOON YOU ALL WILL BE EATING THAT NASTY ANIMAL!!!!

1. geo says:

Mike did you ever try an anger management class for your issues?

2. Wish some people would go away says:

@ Mike…… Your an ass and have no class.

3. up yours says:

EAT ME MIKEY!!!!! I’m so sorry you are just a friggin idiot but I think you would be on the menu before any dog, you just aren’t that high up on the food chain. And really who would miss you!!

22. Tommy says:

1. Young lady from Indiana is dead
    2. Unless you are going to Indiana to look for her, shut up.
    3. if you and mine or any dog were falling off a cliff, guess which one I would choose to save?

23. Nancy says:

I go as far as to walk around the yard with my dog, I pity the fool who trys to take her, I would KILL them. Hello, my name is I don’t call 911, meet LadySmith. I hope these a$$wipes who are taking these poor dogs die a horrific death.

1. Tommy says:

Amen!

24. Franca Benizio says:

ur ignorant and cruel to some people a dog is a part of a family member u friggen moron!!!

25. mb says:

An idiot that can’t spell. I would trade someone like you for a dog any day.

26. NICKY says:

YOU ARE AN IDIOT INDEED. IT NEVER CEASES TO AMAZE ME HOW SOME SORRY PEOPLE HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA THAT ANIMALS ARE SENTIENT BEINGS ALSO…WITH EVERYTHING THAT THE WORD “SENTIENT” MEANS. EFFORTS TO LOCATE STOLEN PETS DO NOT DIMINISH FROM EFFORTS TO FIND MISSING PEOPLE. DUH!

27. OMA says:

you are an idiot

28. Dogowner says:

More dogs are stolen to use for “training” for upcoming dog fights. Check around and see how many pit bulls are in your area.

1. Dog lover says:

Another stupid comment. Pitbulls are friendly, loving animals UNTIL they are abused & stavrved to satisfy some twisted cowards need to see blood, But of course not his own.

1. Emjay says:

Not true…yes there are SOME pits that never hurt a fly, but they are in nature to be aggressive dogs…answer me then if they are not, how I can take my dogs to the dog park and NO dog ever does anything, but a few pitbulls arrive and they instantly attack my dogs…and other dogs who were otherwise playing peacefully in the park. Or why is it that most of the maulings and attacks are done by pitbulls, whether the owners claim to have never made them aggressive or not???

2. up yours says:

Hey “Dogowner” you must be talking about your wife…sorry she is such a dog!!! Get your facts straight before you start moving that chasm you call a mouth…the pitbulls’ nickname is “nanny dog” because of their sweet disposition and loyalty!! Any moron can make ANY dog mean. It was Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepards, the list goes on. It’s like the illness fad for children i.e. ADD now Autism, just happens to be Pitbulls are on the chopping block right now! Too bad it can’t be you!!!!

29. Dogowner says:

30. Frank says:

Somewhere an infomercial writer is hard at work:

“The Ronco Dog-Brander”, just 19.95 plus shipping and handling.

1. jojo says:

its called a microchip.

31. Dee Brown says:

I never tie my dog up outside. I have had her for 9 years and have never done so. I have seen dogs tied up for long periods of time in front of supermarkets, beauty salons and restaurants. Maybe some of these dogs were reported as abandoned and taken by animal control.

1. Anthony says:

No one is calling Animal Control for a dog left outside a market. Get a grip.

32. Trolls suck says:

God, what a repulsive group of people!

33. Daphne says:

You would have to be dumb not to see what’s going on. Its called Doggy Lottery, people/thieves are stealing the dogs in hopes of cashing in like a ticket. They’ll wait for the Dog lost reward sign to go up and then claim to be a “Good Samaritan”. Trust me, a dog is like a baby/child. Its a financial responsibility and requires time,care and shots. They are not stealing because they are lonely and desire a cute little dog.

34. tree hugger says:

if you want a dog so badly,go to a rescue group. there are many purebreds for adoption. or if you’re stealing these dogs as bait for fighting dogs, i hope the fighters turn against you.

35. jeff says:

I NEVER leave my dog unattended, & I think dog owners should be ashamed of themselves!…Would they leave their child alone?…..Maybe.

1. Jo says:

I’m not ashamed. People like you are annoying. Everyone can’t fit their dog in their man purse.

36. shadowinsider says:

So THAT’S why there are so many chinese restaurants in Brooklyn…

1. Anon says:

and I bet you’re the dognapper!

2. Tommy says:

You thought that was THAT funny? Guess it’s the paxil.

1. Daphne says:

@ T ommy, Yes how’d you know ? Laughter is/should be contagious. Don’t be so serious, life is too short !

3. tom says:

that would be a filipino restaurant..cats are in the chinese restaurants….need any beef lo mein???

1. Andrew Zimmern says:

@ tom, actually I beg to differ. The younger they are, well the sweeter and more tender the meat. Less cooking time. Check me out on Travel Channel, you can learn quite a mouthful.

4. Tommy says:

@Daphne, I guess I don’t find that much humor anymore in one of the oldest jokes there is. The ole Chinese food is really dog/cat food is pretty old and really not that worth of a “LMAO”… To each their own

37. edy says:

only in NY

1. D says:

Actually that is far from true.

Look no further than any areas where dog fighting is rampant and you will see numerous cases of dogs being stolen out of back yards to be served up as snacks for the fighting dogs.

1. Try to pay attention, Stupid says:

Can you say “ATLANTA” or wherever Michael Vick is now playing.

38. Jxx says:

I read the first sentence too quickly as “You might think twice before tying your dog up as you poop.”

Comments are closed.