Ex-Jets Coach Eric Mangini: I Have ‘A Lot Of Regrets’ Over Spygate

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Who could forget Spygate, the 2007 saga involving former Jets coach Eric Mangini, Bill Belichick of the Patriots, New York’s defensive calls on New England video tape and heavy fines levied by the NFL?

Well, it sounds like Mangini would take a mulligan on the drama.

“I owe so much to Bill,” he told Boston’s WEEI Radio on Tuesday. “I appreciate what he’s done for me and my intention was never to hurt him or the (Patriots) organization, the Kraft family.”

Belichick was fined $500,000 after an investigation by the league. The Patriots had to forfeit their 2008 first-round draft pick and pay $250,000 in fines.

“Yeah, there’s a lot of regrets,” said Mangini. “I didn’t want to hurt him or the Patriots by any stretch.”

Mangini, a former protege of Belichick’s in New England, tipped off the investigation.

“How it could have been different, how different decisions and events could have taken place, I’m not sure how it would have played out differently,” he said. “I just didn’t want it to play out the way it did.”

Spygate fractured Mangini’s already shaky relationship with his ex-boss and mentor — and made the football community question the Patriots’ Super Bowl titles under the coach.

“Probably like the New England defense,” Mangini said of his rapport with Belichick, “it’s a work in progress.”

Jets fans: What do you have to say about Mangini’s regrets? Sound off in the comments below…

Comments

1. Lara says:

You should have regrets you idiot…have you heard of the phrase burning bridges? Maybe Bill would have hired you back as his water-boy since you cant coach. You really have no character at all and lack intelligence and integrity.

2. MMY says:

Mangini, you’re a piece of dirt! where are you now? How successful are you now? Out of job coach…you will never be good enough just a snitch on your own mentor. What a dirt bag you are and always will be. I dont agree with what Bill was accused of as he’s the best and most intelligent coach there is…matter of interpretation of the rules. Bill took the high road but should have questioned the league not just give in like he did. I wish he challenged it and not try to be the class that he is…Mangini…you will always be a loser in my book and many others as well.

3. Athan says:

The Patriots were a hard hitting team and had Brady at Q.B.
    That is the reason they won so many games plus 3 S.B’s

4. Saxon says:

Those N.E teams were tough to beat. That was a rule change that was violated.
    Taping was allowed and still is, it’s where that matters. They tried to turn it into cloak and dagger because those teams then were super. They proved it by winning 18 in a row before that tough Super Bowl loss.

5. JOE says:

AS FAR AS I’M CONCERNED BOSTON’S TEAMS ARE A BUNCH OF CHEATERS. THEY EVEN HAVE THE PATRIOTS CAUGHT CHEATING IN THE SUPERBOWL AGAINST THE RAMS, FOR THE SAME THING. THEY SHOULD OF STRIPPED THEM FROM THE TITLE OR AT LEAST PUT AN ASTERISK NEXT TO THE TITLE.
    THEY HAVE WON NO SUPERBOWLS SINCE THEY BEEN CAUGHT WITH SPYGATE. BEST THING MANGINI’S EVER DONE. THE LEAGUE SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THE TEAM.
    EVEN THE BOSTON REDSOX HAD RAMIREZ, SHILLING, BIG PAPI AND OTHERS ON STERIODS WHEN THEY WON THEIR TITLES. MINUS THOSE CHEATERS AND WE WOULD STILL BE CHANTING 1918 EVERY REDSOX GAME.

1. Manish says:

What about guys like Clemens, Petite, Giambi, and A-Rod?

Comments are closed.