Mixed Reaction From Commuters On Smoking Ban At LIRR Stations, Platforms

HUNTINGTON STATION, NY (WCBS 880) — A smoking ban at Long Island Rail Road stations is getting mixed reactions from commuters.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs reports

Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed the bill into law back in August.

The new law prohibits smoking in outdoor spaces for ticketing, boarding or platforms of train stations operated by the MTA or its subsidiaries.

“It is important that commuters are not unwillingly subject to the dangers of second-hand smoke while waiting on train platforms,” Cuomo said. “This law will make outdoor MTA train platforms, ticketing and boarding areas a cleaner, healthier place for all commuters.”

Not everyone agrees. One smoker called the new rules an infringement on his right.

But non-smoker Judy Cain says “why should I have to inhale something that’s an infringement on my rights.”

Another man said the new rules won’t keep him from his bad habit.

“They say a lot of things,” he said.

“You should be able to smoke on the platform,” said another rider. “It’s outside, not inside.”

Commuter Jack McCarttle favors the idea.

“It’s smoke in the air, literally,” he said. “Smoke in the air and it’s bad for you.”

The New York State Department of Health estimates that second-hand smoke kills 2,500 New Yorkers every year.

The smoking ban officially kicks in on November 13.

What do you think of the smoking ban? Sound off below in our comments section…

More from Mike Xirinachs
Comments

1. None Of Your Business says:

I smoke. Unfortunately. Hard to kick the habit. I know. I’ve tried. I’m in favor of the ban. The fewer places you can smoke, the less smoking you do, and the better it is for your health.

2. Larry Schwarz says:

I think designated smoking areas should be set aside for smokers.But I have COPD I should not have to inhale someone elses smoke.The designated area should be so many feet away from other public areas.I am in favor of the ban,but there is a way to make smokers happy to.

3. Zenmon says:

My friend had asthma, and cigarette smoke, in closed in spaces, would wreak havoc with his breathing. He stopped going with me to Long Island because he couldn’t stand having to breathe in all the smoke on the platforms when we had to wait to switch trains, and there are A LOT of smokers on those platforms. Having grown up with a whole family of smokers myself, I have breathing problems now from having inhaled second hand smoke. I’ve literally tried running down a crowded platform to get away from the three smokers exhaling in my face to be near only two smokers. In the process, since the platforms were so crowded I’ve had to walk at the very edge of the walkway almost falling onto the track. This law is long overdue. I just wish my friend had lived to see it. He died three months ago from breathing related problems.

4. mary Smith says:

jandgdist.com!!!! Support breast cancer – hope for a cure in every bag of Pink Potato Chips – check it out!!!!

5. Don Juan says:

The ban is long overdue!

6. marlboro man says:

perfume and coffee fumes make me sick — I think they should ban both of them also …or they are infringing on ((MY)) rights !!!

7. t dubs says:

i meant face

8. t dubs says:

i wonder if smokers will have a problem if i fart in their facet

Comments are closed.