NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Nassau County prosecutors investigating an SAT scandal are reportedly focused on at least one more phony test taker and two other schools.
WCBS 880’s Monica Miller reports: Prosecutors Say Cheating Could Be More Widespread
According to Newsday, officials are looking at students who took the test at other schools and whose SAT scores are overwhelmingly higher than their grade point averages. The ETS, the nonprofit agency that administers the test, is also providing officials with documents.
Samuel Eshaghoff, 19, a 2010 graduate of Great Neck North High School, was arrested earlier this week on charges that he was paid thousands of dollars by students to impersonate them and take the college entrance exam. Eshaghoff pleaded not guilty to criminal impersonation and other charges. He was released on bail.
WCBS 880’s Mike Xirinachs reports: A Call For Tighter Security
Six current and former students of the high school were also charged.
The students at the center of the cheating scandal claim they cooperated with school administrators and Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice for months after being told they wouldn’t be prosecuted. Now, the students say those promises have been broken.
“There was clearly an investigation with consequence — and certainly the student that I represent went on with his life with the supposition that this matter was behind him,” defense attorney Robert Gallo told CBS 2.
Prosecutors say no promises were ever made.
The students are due back in court at the end of October with their parents and attorneys. They want all criminal charges dropped.
Meanwhile, school officials across Long Island are planning to tighten security for the next SATs which will be held this Saturday.