Elderly Bronx Man Speaks Out On Attack, Robbery

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Police are looking for a suspect who is wanted for a vicious attack against an 81-year-old man in the Bronx.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reports

The attack was caught on surveillance video Thursday afternoon in Parkchester near Unionport.

Police say the suspect followed 81-year-old Jose Rodriguez into his building, put the elderly man into a choke hold then started punching and kicking him.

The suspect eventually ran off after taking Rodriguez’ jewelry and cash. Rodriguez suffered minor injuries.

“I opened the door. He was behind me, got me like that, all the punches in this eye,” Rodriguez told CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.

“He said ‘I want your money. I want your money’,” Rodriguez said.

Surveillance shows Rodriguez covering his face, trying to protect himself.

After punching and kicking him, the attacker flipped Rodriguez over and stole his wallet with $30 inside.

Parkchester residents say they are disturbed by the attack.

“Insane. To jump on an elderly man, for what? For what? That’s just too close to home,” said neighbor Jennifer Lee.

“It was brutal,” said one neighbor. “I was very shaken, it makes it you angry. It’s just disgusting.”

Rodriguez is recently widowed. Several friends came by to check on him Saturday.

Making the attack even more brazen, it happened just steps away from a public safety office.

Police and public safety officers have stepped up patrols in the area, hoping to make it safer, but community activists say more needs to be done.

“The crime here is increasing to the point where people are afraid to go out after a certain time, after a certain hour,” said Luis Sepulveda.

Rodriguez was still too nervous to walk through the lobby of his building. He hasn’t seen the surveillance, saying he wasn’t sure he wants to relive the nightmare.

Police say the suspect is between 17 and 20-years-old and was wearing a dark blue T-shirt, blue jeans, black sneakers and was carrying a back pack.

Anyone with information should call police or Crime Stoppers at (800) 577-TIPS (8477) or go to www.nypdcrimestoppers.com.

Please leave a comment below…

Comments

1. Gabriel Polesello says:

I bet you this thug was a liberal. He was probably in one of those protests.

2. George Scott says:

I have an answer to these attacks.–
    I CARRY A LICENSED HANDGUN AND WOULD USE IT TO DEFEND MY LIFE OR SOMEONE ELSE’S LIFE WHO I WOULD WITNESS BEING ATTACKED…
    I’M TIRED OF BEING POLITICALLY CORRECT AT THIS STAGE OF MY LIFE.
    I’D RATHER BE TRIED BY 12, THEN CARRIED BY 6.

3. Troy says:

Anyone who attacks an elderly person, short from justifiable self defense is a COWARD. These pigs should be sent to jail for a long time and lets see how brave they are in a real prison!

4. MULTICULTURALISM SUX says:

INTERNET SITES FOR WHITES

johndenugent.com
    wvwnews.net (western voices world news)
    stormfront.org
    ramzpaul.com

5. Andy says:

I am 67 years old, but I always carry a boxer, and if I’ve been attacked, I fight back.
    All bad guys know that in my neighborhood.

6. Big B says:

This creap is a coward. Hope someone attacks his parents then rapes his punk a**.

7. I HATE ezPass Toll Hikes $12, its a shame says:

IF I CATCH HIM, I WILL PUT A SPICY STICK UP IN HIS @$$,
    ALL GETTO,S ARE LOW LIFE ANIMALS, THEY SHOULD DO LAUNDRY IN JAIL HOUSE

KS JC NJ

8. Pave Grancaric says:

I would teach this animal…a lesson!

How dare he attack an elderly man like this??

What a coward and a low-life!

If they catch him…I hope they teach him a lesson.

This low-life animal…deserves to be behind bars. He does not belong in the society because it’s clear that this predator has no empathy for his fellow man…or woman!!

PG
    NYC

9. NYSmike says:

Another pretty somewhat clear video. It’s just a matter of time before this creep is caught.

10. Liberals are Evil says:

Give me 5 minutes with this lowlife…I will have baseball bat with me.

11. Enough says:

Give him a fair trial and then kill him……..

12. edy says:

Fry this good for nothing ghetto low life. He should not be roaming the streets. He should be washing bubba’s underwear ar Rikers.

13. gordie lloyd says:

typical spic/nig pull up your pants you lowlife skel…you will be caught and dealt with

14. Richie says:

We need a concentration camp to put punks like this in. We need to stand up america and kill these low lifes. I used to live in Brooklyn, but moved to Atlanta…we can arm ourselves and believe me he would have been shot to death if I caught him robbing a senior citizen or anyone.

15. Jack Black says:

Too bad DA Johnson will not prosecute, stating he is just a troubled youth who is misunderstood.

16. thor's hammer says:

hey punk. the people are not happy, and you’ve got a bullseye on you.attack an elderly man will ya. note in advance to the court appointed lawyer. save your breath on the diminished capacity nonsense, that doesn’t play here anymore.we could, once you are caught (and you will be) have you participate in a safety check of recalled bungee cords (from the top tower of the verrazano bridge. another possibility is at low tide bury you up to your neck in sand (at a location to be determined) and let you enjoy a water view. prison would be too easy for you unless it’s a 4×4 cell, no windows, no computer, no tv, no phone, no visitors, no free education, no yard time. justice for the victim only!

17. That is horrendous, what possible motive can there be to do that to such an old person?

1. houari says:

He has no motive except he is an idiot. I wish they catch him and he will rot in jail forever.

2. Peter says:

Motive?Are you serious?He wanted the cash and jewelry.Isn’t that motive?

Comments are closed.