Yankees’ CC Sabathia On Opt-Out: ‘Baseball Is A Business’

NEW YORK (WFAN) — Will he opt out or won’t he?

Yankees ace CC Sabathia can walk away from his 7-year, $161 million contract by the third day after the conclusion of the World Series. Sabathia has said repeatedly how much he loves New York — but is that enough to keep him here?

“Of course it would be (hard to go). It was difficult for me to leave Milwaukee,” Sabathia told the New York Post on Monday. “But you understand that baseball is a business.”

If the left-hander does opt out, he would be leaving a huge amount — $92 million over four years — on the table.

Sabathia wouldn’t tip his hand either way late last Thursday after the Yankees were eliminated in the first round.

“I haven’t made any decisions,” he said last week. “I love it here. There’s nothing like pitching in pinstripes. There’s nothing like pitching in front of the fans in the Bronx.”

With a weak free-agent market for pitchers headed by C.J. Wilson, Mark Buehrle and Edwin Jackson, the Yankees could hand the 31-year-old Sabathia an extension to pre-empt his opt-out.

Sabathia and Yankees general manager Brian Cashman told The Post there have been no talks — yet.

“I do love it here. My family loves it here,” said Sabathia. “But we’ll have to wait and see what happens.”

What do you expect CC to do? Be heard in the comments below…

Comments

1. Ted says:

Overpaid moron!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Millie Martin says:

It is very disheartening to lose when these players are paid such outrageous salaries and don’t come through. Maybe it’s time to clean house. Especially if we are going to lose anyway. I’d be embarrassed to ask for a raise when I didn’t earn what I am already being paid.

3. yankeefan62 says:

Never a mention of the dissapointment to the fans. I am awe struck to say that the only one who really felt bad last week as Jorge. I love CC but how much do we need to pay these guys. I would do anything to be in the Yankee group, not in the cards. No one man is the team, not Derek, not Mo who really never got the change to pitch, thanks to the fact we had no hits, except for Gardner and Posada. Good Luck Guys and God Bless , but greed will win out.

4. chuck says:

A Rod, CC and guys like this turn my stomach. They can say it’s business, but they were already making more money than they deserved. I’ve been a Yankee fan since I 1st saw Mickey went to as many games as I could and took my kids there since they were small. Now, I’ve been down sized and out of work and I’ll never see the new stadium. THESE GUYS CAN SAY IT’S ONLY BUSINESS, BUT THEY WERE ALREADY MAKING MORE THAN THEY DESERVED AND WE’LL BE STUCK WITH CC, JUST LIKE WE’RE STUCK WITH A FADING A ROD. AND THEIR GREED IS WHY I CAN’T AFFORD TO TAKE MY GRANDCHILDREN TO A GAME AND WHY THEY’LL BE PLAYING IN FRONT OF EMPTY STADIUMS BEFORE THEIR CONTRACTS RUN OUT.

5. Robert Richardson says:

Free Markets. Free enterprise, Capitalism, Individualism …. isn’t this the American way? Isn’t that why we are nation building? Isn’t this the “essence” of America?

6. TOM says:

I DONT FEEL BAD FOR ANY OF THESE GUYS. GREED GREED GREED. I AM UNEMPLOYED AND IN MY 50’S . I WISH I HAD A CONTRACT WORTH THESE AMOUNT’S THEY ALL SUCK. I USED TO BE A SPORTS FAN NO MORE.

7. dabooch says:

Game 3 Sabathia starts, Yankees lose. Game 5 Sabathia in relief Tigers score 3rd and decisive run. Greed and non-performance equal losers! Yankees should look in the rearview mirror, is A Rod’s ten year deal bad yes $150,000,000 bad. Is aj’s deal bad, yes. Is Mark ‘you can’t get rid of him’ Texeira’s deal bad yes. Swisher is another one after 3 post seasons where the bat boy could of possibly down better are the Yankees going to reward him with another attempt at $ 10,000,000? Don’t forget Soriano, a set up at $35,000,000 are you kidding! Cashman should be pinked slipped also instead of rewarded with a new go around. Venting is the best thing to start the day.

Comments are closed.