Teen Arrested In Lindenhurst High School Bomb Threat

LINDENHURST, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — A Long Island teenager appeared in court Tuesday after police said she falsely reported a bomb threat at her school.

WCBS 880’s Sophia Hall On The Story

Last Thursday, police received a report that an explosive set to go off on Oct. 18 was left inside Lindenhurst High School.

Following an investigation, Dominique Best, 16, was arrested Monday afternoon.

The 16-year-old girl’s mother cried as she sat and watched her daughter in front of a judge in the Suffolk County courthouse on Tuesday.

Prosecutors said Best, while sitting in her classroom, typed into a school calculator “Lindy will be gone next week I promise.”

Prosecutors said no bomb or explosives were found.

The teen’s attorney read a letter from the school’s principal in support of the student.

The suspect is charged with falsely reporting an incident and is currently held on $5,000 bail.

There were ten family members in the courtroom. Not one of them wanted to speak on her behalf.

The investigation is continuing.

If found guilty, what is the appropriate punishment in this case? Let us know below…

More from Sophia Hall
Comments

1. TIGERTRON2200 says:

I think what she did wasn’t smart at all ,but the real problem is so many people including young kids are always on these damn social networks constantly texting there every though. after texting for so many years it becomes second nature to type or text what your thinking………weather it’s a good thought or a bad though. or a joke….also in philadelphia like a year ago parents found out that the school district was spying on the kids through the lap tops that are given to the students by the school….listen the school system is a mini prison system now thats why when she left the class the teacher checked the calculators…PLEASE EDUCATE YOURSELF AND YOUR KIDS ON TECHNOLOGY AND THE PRIVACY RIGHTS THAT YOU DO OR DON’T HAVE. HOPE THE COURTS SHOWS ON THIS YOUNG LADY MERCY

2. Akylah Cruz-lugo says:

word, thank you matthew … This is my little cousin. Every1 this is a beautiful young lady who made a mistake and is being punish for it . AND @ JUSTME , yes 10 family member who did not want to asked ignorant question !!! we r a god fearing family…

3. Djanna Hamadama says:

I know her, ive done a tutoring program with her at a local youth center and weve always done community service with the Park Ave School to help with bully prevention. Shes a junior rocc member and Liberals Are Evil, are you kidding me where are you from that Long Island girls are stupid ? Id like to have a one on one talk with you because I bet every teen in the country wishes there school would be burned down, no one takes that seriously especially if they have a clean history. I WOULD INSTANTLY SPEAK ON HER BEHALF !

4. Joan O says:

There were no explosives found. I think this child (and yes she is a child) should undergo a psych eval and maybe address her needs rather than punish her and ruin her future. I think a psych eval ndcommunity serviceis more fittingthan 7 years in jail.And wat a shamethis childs name is not kept confidental.

5. breanna domain says:

I think the girl made a mistake & it was meant to be a joke. . . If she doesn’t have a criminal record I think they should go easy on her .

6. Liberals Are Evil says:

What a stupid girl…but then again what does one expect from Long Island!

1. alicia martin says:

shut the hell up!!! Kids say things when they are upset all the time….she didnt act on it however, give her a break. damn!!!!

7. snowdog says:

Looks like she didn’t want to take a test that day. Pre 2001 this would have been a big joke. Everyone walks outside for 15-20 minutes, it’s a false alarm, everyone goes back inside. Nice little break from class. Now . . . your arrested! Prosecuted and have a criminal record! When did life become so serious for a teenager.

1. TJ says:

When pranks and threats were ignored and people died as a result – 9/11

2. justme says:

when treatening people started to be taken seriously. what I find telling is that there were 10 family members that and not one wanted to speak on her behalf.

1. tigertron2200 says:

listen, i hope you never find your self needing a lawyer.The reason nobody spoke was because of the seriousness of the case. also the news are not the people you need to talk to when a young family member is in some sh!t like this. more than likely her lawyer told everyone to keep there mouths shut …. sound like a good lawyer to me.

1. MARIA says:

i agree with AKYLA CRUZ-LUGO AND TIGERTRON2200,I KNO WTHE FAMILY WELL ENOUGHT TO KNOW SHE IS A GOOD GIRL AND STUDENT ,I HATE SEEING THAT SHE IS IN THIS MESS AND PPL JUDGING BY THIS SAYINT SHE IS LAKING SOMETHING OR SHE COMES FROM A DISFUNCTIONAL FAM AND WHAT NOT!…PPL STOP JUDGING IF U DNT KNOW NADA ABOUT THIS PERSON OR HER FAMILY!

3. Matthew Hollie says:

That is my cousin you’re talking about. I don’t like your comments about this topic.

Comments are closed.