New York City Parents Find Nothing Stylish About New Tattooed ‘Barbie’ Doll

Body Ink All Over 'Tokidoki' Seen As Sending A Very Bad Message To Children

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The newest Barbie doll to hit store shelves is sparking controversy.

The doll sports several tattoos, and some parents say it’s sending the wrong message to their kids, reports CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.

Meet “Tokidoki Barbie,” the newest addition to the iconic doll collection.

She’s edgy — with pink hair, sky-high stilettos and a cactus-covered pet named “Bastardino.”

But it’s her body art that has some parents on edge.

Tokidoki’s upper body is covered with exotic-looking tattoos, including a large flower covering her chest and a tiger curls up her neck.

“I think it sends all the wrong signals for young girls,” said Mitti Hansen, mother to a 4-year-old girl.

Tokidoki is not the first Barbie to sport tattoos. In 2009, Mattel unveiled “Totally Stylin’ Barbie,” but her tattoos were stick-on and removable.

Tokidoki’s are inked on.

“Maybe if a little girl sees that she also wants a tattoo and I think it’s not good,” parent Latifa Zyne said.

But body art is a growing trend. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 1 in 4 Americans ages 18 to 50 now has at least one tattoo.

Tattoo artist Pablo Jimenez said Tokidoki is just a reflection of a more accepting attitude toward body ink.

“Tattoos, right now, is everywhere. It’s just about art. It’s nothing bad,” Jimenez said.

Tokidoki is considered a “collectible” and retails for $50 — much more expensive than basic Barbie dolls. Mattel said the doll is marketed more toward adult collectors than to children. Tokidoki is a limited edition doll — named after the fashion line of the same name. It is sold only on Barbie collector’s website.

Silver said Tokidoki is just the latest in a long line of high-fashion collector items meant for adults, not kids.

“These are high-priced dolls. They make dolls after big-time fashion designers like Bob Mackey, so these are dolls that kids generally don’t see,” Silver said.

Many parents said they’d like to keep it that way.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below.

Comments

1. Mary K. says:

Seriously. If you don’t like her, don’t buy her. She’s already sold out an mine is on the way. She’s a collectable edition and not intended for kids. I can’t believe that people get so riled up over a doll.

1. Skeptic says:

I can’t believe adults play with dolls….

Seriously, we’re in a recession and your collecting Barbies? Damn, that’s pathetic!

1. DancingBrave says:

Oh, what a big person you are.

2. sheivay says:

iI agree with skeptic. When are we Babybiimers ever going to grow up and get serious?

3. Daisy says:

It’s a gay male thing. Odd, but true.

1. joe says:

bitch how is it a gay male thing? dumb ass comment

1. Dave says:

ya I’m a gay male and don’t have a single tatoo. I’m with Joe on this

1. Floda says:

True, but I bet both joe and dave have barbies. When my wife was collecting, her biggest competition/customer base were the gay guys. I never met a straight guy barbie collector inall the time I was drug around to the shows.

2. TT says:

Can’t tell if troll
              or actually a homophobic ass

1. CommonSense says:

Can’t we all just get along?

Lots of “Internet muscles” being flexed here. If you wouldn’t say it to your neighbor, why say it here?

For all the people that pretend to be old-fashioned, what happened to old fashioned manners? People tend to listen to your opinion better when you aren’t beating on them with insults.

Hey, for the record, I don’t agree with the gay lifestyle, but good grief gay dudes don’t necessarily collect tattooed dolls. Why be such a jerk face and make playground insults? Sicko creeps? We’re all sicko creeps in some way. Some of us just pretend to be perfect. I love gay people like anyone else, I just don’t agree with the lifestyle and I don’t think I should be forced to. I’m no ‘phobe,’ I just happen to believe that there’s a right and wrong. (I’m a member of the latter most of the time.) I kid you not, it is possible to have gay friends and not agree with being gay. (And not have them hate you for it.) Humility goes a long way.

It’s a tattooed Barbie. Big flippin’ deal. Why is this shocking or even surprising? Tattoos, for better or worse, are pretty much accepted these days, in case you haven’t been exposed to mainstream culture in a while.

4. ed says:

Think what you will about collectors. If I still had that stack of Comic Books for my childhood I wouldn’t be working right now. I would be enjoy all that money I sold them for!

1. USArmyCombatMedic says:

Comic books, while lame, are not on the same level as Barbie freakin’ dolls.

5. HaroldJohanson says:

Not all of us are participating in your recession. It’s my money. I’ll use it however the hell I want.

1. CommonSense says:

Aren’t the people complaining about spending in an unapproved way the same people who complain that “rich people” are “hoarding” all of the money? Beggars can’t be choosers.

I’m not saying, I’m Just sayin’.

6. JustAGuy says:

To Skeptic, brilliant! LOL!!!!

If you can get them, take them over to Occupy Wall Street. I’m sure the trust-fund kids sleeping in tents and begging for food will snap them up!

2. I I Standing says:

Most likely you are covered with them ,,plus your dolly was most likely made by chinese children at your conlectors price

3. mike says:

there ya go, how about a Junkie barbie with track marks up her arm, I mean “Seriously. If you don’t like her, don’t buy her”

Nice attitude dumbass….

1. J says:

They are not very healthy to have. Studies have shown that the heavy metal in the ink is dangerous. In some instances if you have one and get an MRI they can be damaged along with your skin. It is just not a correct image to portray to little girls.

1. CommonSense says:

“It is just not a correct image to portray to little girls.”

I wholeheartedly agree – I would never, ever voluntarily expose my daughter to this, but it’s a free country. The market reflects the culture, whether it’s tattoos or tattooed Barbies. If I understand what you’re inferring, stopping people from doing things (like buying or selling tattooed Barbies) only addresses the symptoms of a much bigger problem. We’ve got big cultural issues and tattoos are the least of our worries.

4. Zinger57 says:

I agree, I can’t believe people get this upset over doll. I’m 57 and ever since i can remember kids have been “drawing” on themselves. So what is the difference?

5. J. SPANN says:

EXACTLY!!! ITS NOT BAD & IF KIDS WANT TO GET A TATTOO IT WONT BE BECAUSE OF BARBIE. WHAT’S THE PROBLEM, NOBODY TALKS ABOUT BARBIE WITH A BABY. GET OVER IT PEOPLE. IF YOU RAISED YOUR KIDS RIGHT THEY WOULDN’T BE EASILY INFLUENCED.

1. CommonSense says:

Well said. You can’t change culture as a whole. You can, however, at least for the time being, raise your kids as you see fit. (Until they go to public school, that is.)

6. Geoff King says:

Coming soon: Jihad Barbie – with burqa, bomb belt and removable extremities.

1. JustAGuy says:

CAIR wants to know where you live.

7. minxrunsaway says:

I love how people are upset about her tattoos but are still not bothered by the body issues that she give young girls that disgusting..

1. JustAGuy says:

OK then, how about a barbie with a large BMI and muffintop. Will that make you happy?

8. McSorley says:

I have a 9 year old that still plays with them and to be honest when you buy her 10 of them it just tends to end up being 10 naked barbies sitting on her floor in a pile that all look more or less the same. As a consumer it makes sense that at some point they would just print some designs on the dolls.

9. Wizzo says:

I can’t believe people collect garbage like this. Toy dolls are for kids. And tatoo’d dolls are for LOSERS.

10. Disappointed says:

I’m waiting for Pierced Barbie, you know, the one piercings in her nipples and vagina.

11. Kelly West says:

I agree

2. tx-offender says:

Then don’t buy the dolls, DUMB-A55! Who cares what you think… Vote with your dollars. Do you want the GUH-MENT to step and and stop the barbies? Grow up.

1. Dan says:

The column doesn’t quote anybody calling for gov’t intervention. If people don’t like it, they WILL vote with their dollars. YOU’RE the dumbass

1. tx-offender says:

Read my post again EINSTEIN, just a question. Calm down, it will be OK.

1. averagejoe says:

tx-offender, isn’t 10pm a little late for someone of your age to be online? Does mommy know?

2. Gman says:

There’s no mention of the Govt, yet some tool has to always bring it up. If you hate it so much here, send us your Paypal email address and we’ll all forward some $$ for a one way ticket out of here.

1. Hal says:

OK SO IF someone doesn’t like the government, instead of exercising free speech, or trying to change things, should simply leave the country? What if they love everything else about America? Why are you such an UNAmerican gov worshipper?

2. lo says:

xthacranksta@yahoo.com i would like a trip to brazil please

1. Mikey says:

Brazil is a little far away for our budget. We can get you as far as Haiti. Will that work?

3. Repent Amarillo says:

What next? A homosexual G.I. Joe?

1. Katherine Duval says:

And what would a homosexual G.I. Joe look like, any other G.I. Joe doll?

1. I P Standing says:

He would be busy decorating his tent and marching to show tunes

1. Katherine Duval says:

Only if the child made him…

2. Floda says:

His wrists would be a little loose, he would be a little light in the boots, and when you pull his string, he yells orders with a lisp.

2. Jack Davis says:

It would look like Ken.

3. Homie says:

No he’d be anally correct and open for business:-)

4. David Tinki says:

I dressed my GI Joe in Barbie’s clothes. You GO Joe!!!

1. David Tink says:

Lane Bryant has cute plus-size Barbie outfits that my Joe just loves 🙂
            oxoxoxox

2. MorganGray says:

Someone already tried that one back in the late 70s – early 80s.
        I’m not kidding.
        The thing was anatomically correct and … um … “rampant”. In addition to the clothing and an earring, it came with a scale jar of vaseline.

3. Tats for Kids says:

You are an asshole

1. Ladybug says:

No..you are an idiot moron tats for kids….and a typical homosexual.

4. drumdiva says:

What’s wrong with a homosexual G.I. Joe? The so-called “homosexual movement” does not recruit new members with things like dolls – most gays and lesbians had heterosexual parents, after all. We are who we are, and if you don’t like it, I really don’t care. Live your own life and stop worrying about how other people live theirs.

3. Jewfromhell says:

Hope she has nipple rings!

1. leslie says:

OMG that’s funny

2. The Bobster says:

And don’t forget the Lady Hoo Hoo lab ia ring.

4. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

Next out is Ken with a gat and a crack pipe.

1. Loretta Greene says:

I am calling ToysRUs to complain AHEAD OF TIME—no tatoo dolls in the store for children.

1. Jan DeHennis Ries says:

The article read: ” “You will not find this in any toy store,” said Jim Silver, Editor-In-Chief of TimeToPlayMag.com.” and “It is sold only on Barbie collector’s website.” I’m fairly certain that ToysRUs is a toy store. While I understand your frustration, why start trouble where there isn’t any.

1. GMan says:

Cause she’s an idiot that can’t read…

2. Betty Sturgeon says:

Go ahead. For the ignorant: This is not a doll made for children. It cost upwards of $200 and was intended to be for collectors. You want to buy one for your child, go ahead. I am so tired of the religious right trying to tell me what is ‘morally’ right!

1. Barnaby says:

now to be referred to as the “religioud wrong”

2. Welcome Black Carter says:

That would still be better then “Liberal Barbie”

1. Laura L. says:

Awesome.

2. Deus Vult says:

Liberal Barbie would come in 2 different types:

1. Upper income Liberal Barbie: obsessed with B.S. Celebrity TV, dressed in expensive clothes but still tacky looking, comes with I-POD, box of bon-bons and small annoying dog or fat cat…..

2. Lower income Liberal Barbie: obsessed with B.S. Celebrity TV, dressed cheap/trashy looking, comes with several kids from different dads, welfare checks, food stamps and cell phone!

5. ColoKravGirl says:

Really?!? There are real problems in this country and people are worried about a Barbie? It’s a TOY. Who cares if there is ART on her arms? Really people? Yes, this doll will turn your precious little girl into a crack addict. Weirdos.

1. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

One man’s art is another man’s tramp stamp.

2. thacranksta says:

i have to agree some people just get stupider every year pretty soon most people are going to be like in the move idiocracy

1. mrT65 says:

For those who need a translation for this intellectual comment:

I have to agree. Some people just get more stupid every year. Pretty soon, most people are going to be like in the movie ‘Idiocracy’.

Thank you for showing us what STUPIDER looks like.

1. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

Actually, “like in” is not correct either. The sentence should read: Pretty soon, most people are going to be like those portrayed in the movie ‘Idiocracy’.

But thank you for attempting to look smart. Don’t stop trying.

3. Dan says:

It’s called ilnuring young girls to trashy, debased lifestyles. “Hey, anything you want to do, girls, hey, it’s cool, kids. Hey, follow your dreams…” whatever THAT may be. People like you ARE the weirdos.

1. imaloserwootwoot says:

I know PLENTY of people who lead “trashy, debased lifestyles”… none of them have tattoos. I also know PLENTY of kind, honest, intelligent, hard-working people with excellent morals… all of them have tattoos. Just an observation.

1. I P Standing says:

I prefrer a trashy debased lifestyle

2. Bee says:

Well Dan, then parents need to keep their precious darlings from watching any kind of media. Anybody who is ‘anybody’ in the entertainment industry seems to have some kind of artwork, somewhere on their body because, did you notice? It did become a quite trendy amongst the rich and famous. Again, the damn dolls are intended for ADULT doll collectors and wont be found in any stores. Hey, heres an idea! Lets NOT MAKE A BIG DEAL out of this situation and just MAYBE, the little girls wont notice??? *(at least for a little while). OMG can you just imagine what this Barbie will be worth in 20 years>?????

3. ColoKravGirl says:

Well, Let me just toss this your way. Most Barbies I come across are naked anyway. Kids play with them, take off their clothes. Some even have Ken dolls too. That doesn’t cause an uproar with parents. I think that if parents actually spend time with their kids, they won’t have to worry about useless things like what a doll might, or might not, have on it.

4. mywords says:

What you aren’t seeing is that we all make choices some are good, some are not so much. When a child is inclined to make a decision based upon that is “trendy”, there is a great possibility that that individual will regret it later on in life. I simply don’t see the purpose in encouraging something that just might have an impact on the rest of a young life.

BTW I’m 53 years old, and am considering getting a tat.

1. Metara5 says:

I agree. It is just tacky to be putting out what is probably the world’s most recognizeable YOUNG GIRL’s doll with tats. Pretty pink flowers with pretty pink hair.. Wrong vehicle to use here…Barbie, REALLY? Tattoos are a trend and very likely to be faux pas in the near future -at least as more people with them get older and don’t look quite as ‘cool’ walking down the grocery aisles. While I realize some with tattoos are smart, decent people…the majority all look like little wannabes with really bad taste.

BTW…. these dolls WILL end up with homes, many of which have children or visiting children. …..BAD IDEA, and the tackiness continues for the almighty dollar. Shame on our marketing people AGAIN!!!!!

6. Richie says:

People have no respect for themselves or others when they tatoo themselves everywhere. I agree that people are low lifes when they mutilate there bodies with tatoos period.
    I wont hire you either. You need a tatoo like I need a hole in my head. Enough said.

1. thacranksta says:

really do you even have a job or are a manager at mcdonalds or something like that i have tatts and probably make more than you so boo hoo grow some

1. Welcome Black Carter says:

ahhh, you will probably die broke too… just saying.

2. Adam Smith says:

I hire high-salary professional people, and I can tell you that there is not a snowball’s chance in Hell for an interviewee who shows a tattoo or mentions he or she has one. You can complain it’s bigotry, but a tattoo is not part of a professional appearance.

1. MorganGray says:

I agree; especially if that job is one in which the employee must deal face-to-face with the public.
          I do not want a salesman, or technician who has obvious body modifications, extreme piercings, facial tattoos, unorthodox hairstyles, or so on.
          Customers tend to be uncomfortable dealing with people with these … features. I would not put my clients into the position where they would have to do so.
          If you want to work doing more than construction, driving a truck or flipping burgers, you really need to re-think the body-mods.
          We try to encourage employees and clients to “think 5 years down the road”. That needs to start *before* age 18.. Body mods may seem cool now, but when you’re looking for a job, they will work against you.

2. Joe says:

I bet those that have tattoos actually are bright enough to spell the word tattoo. I would hire them over you any day.

1. BoomBoom says:

Joe, you should mow your mother’s lawn instead of hiring somebody to do it. It’s the least you can do since you no doubt live in her basement, eat her food and have her do your laundry.

3. mj says:

i wonder how many excellent employees you have by passed

1. Adam Smith says:

I’ve heard that argument, but we somehow have managed to hire a lot of great tattooless employees. With today’s economy, we can throw out the guys with tattoos and piercings and still be left with a good pool.

1. SuzieQ says:

Hate to say it, but I agree with Adam. Um… Are we still talking about a doll?

4. imaloserwootwoot says:

Anyone pompous enough to make such an ignorant statement is a true low-life. What a person does with their own body, frankly, is nobody’s business but their own. If you feel such an intense need to place judgement on others, you obviously have something within yourself you need to address.

Who are you to say anything about respect for self “OR OTHERS”, when you clearly DON’T have respect for others? If you did, you wouldn’t judge them. You would RESPECT them and carry on with your business.

1. Welcome Black Carter says:

Hate to say it guys, look at how many people at OWS are tattooed…
        Those people are dumber than an average liberal.

2. MorganGray says:

Pompous? Judgmental? Like calling someone a low-life?
        True, it is your right to do whatever you want with your own flesh.
        BUT… when it comes to my hiring an employee, it is MY right to choose the person I want working for me. If you have tattoos or brands on your neck, face or hands, big gauges in your ears, facial implants, or any somesuch, you aren’t going to be working for me. I don’t care how good you are. I have a professional appearance I want my people to exhibit, and extreme body mods do not fit that image.

Will YOU respect MY right to hire whom I choose? Or, does that demand for respect only apply to you?

1. imaloserwootwoot says:

1. Please, read the original comment I responded to (Richie’s).
          2. Please read my response to the comment more accurately.
          3. Yes, you do have the right to hire at your discretion.
          4. Have a nice day.

5. MayMay says:

Well, you certainly show your own IQ in the sense that you can’t even spell the word “tattoo” correctly.
      …Or use the correct “their”.
      I’m glad you wouldn’t hire me. It shows that you don’t uphold the freedoms that this county is based upon.

1. Beaufort Bill says:

Wel Miss Brilliant which COUNTY has the freedoms you mentioned?

2. MorganGray says:

Which freedoms would an employer be taking away if he did not hire you?
        You have the absolute right to the pursuit of happiness. If making yourself look like a sideshow freak makes you happy, you have the right to make yourself look like a sideshow freak.
        But; there is nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights which says you have a right to a job in my company.
        So get all the mods you want. You won’t be getting a job from me.

3. MorganGray says:

Oh, and incidentally… upon what rights was this country founded?
        Can you enumerate them for me *WITHOUT* going to Google?

And, can you tell me what other “R” the founders paired with “Rights”?

6. Emily Curbello says:

So you will hire women with holes in their heads then, huh? What do you think an ear ring is? I am NOT a low life and I have several tattoos, but you would never see them if I didn’t want you too! Jerk.

7. generationgap says:

ah, Mr. Super Important Business Executive, since you are so busy hiring people I will assume that you had one of your super-intelligent, plain-skinned employees post that for you, huh?….You might want to consider hiring people that can use spell-check.

8. Shannon Callahan says:

You are exactly right. You DO need a hole in your head. How am I disrepecting others by getting a tattoo? You are small minded and judgemental.

7. Gall Travois says:

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

1. Al Goracle says:

Gall – What have you been smoking?

2. Steve Daniel Sr. says:

But get still more than some if then will be this, if going with better more good they might.

1. thacranksta says:

what

8. logan says:

ok to the mother in the article who said “I don’t think it’s appropriate for little girls to be having Barbies with tattoos all over,” parent Reye Griffith said Thursday. well let me think ahhhhh then dont buy it DUMB ASS and maybe you dont know this but millions of people are tattooed and your kids probably run you over anyways

1. tatsRforKids says:

Agreed and to take this a step further. I don’t think it’s appropriate for some people to be parents in the first place. She probably doesn’t want them selling it because, when the kid screams loud enough about how she wants “tat barbie”, the mother will just HAVE to buy it for her. Idiots.

2. thacranksta says:

do yall remember the mad tv skit gangsta bitch barbie hahahahah if not here is a link

1. digitus says:

Thanks for that.

9. Fanny Forbes Franklen says:

That’s not tattoo Barbie, that’s Crack Prostitute Barbie that comes with a $400.00 a day habit, crack pipe and lighter. Her lesbian lover, Fran, comes with a flannel shirt, hip boots and an El Camino.

1. logan says:

do yall remember gangsta bitch barbie and tupac ken from mad tv?? ha ha if not here is a link

10. Buck O'Fama says:

What’s next, G string barbie with a shave job and night time accessories with D cell batteries?

There is an entire moron class in this culture that is so dumbed down the lowest common denominator felt high class. Raisin tards, no it’s not a new treat, it’s a new lifestyle.

1. Dilbert says:

Im thinking Post-op, She-male barbie with an “accessory” to match Kens…

11. Your Conscience says:

It’s demonic, like the real people who tattoo themselves

1. kevin says:

ROFL. You can’t be serious. If you don’t like it, don’t buy it for your kids. Also attempt to tell them how tats are demonic and that they will surely burn in hell if they ever get one. Let’s all hope you have no kids but if you do, with this approach, I’m sure if you’ve got a daughter she’ll be sporting a tramp stamp as soon as she can get one. You are an IDIOT.

2. thacranksta says:

are you stupid? im mean demonic really my preacher has tattoos quit a few of them and he is FAR from demonic i really think that your low self esteem has made you comment something so outragesly stupid that you knew some one would surly reply to it and make you feel better about your self because you got someone to talk to you

3. Iraq Vet says:

Praise Jesus. You’re an idiot.

1. imaloserwootwoot says:

Gandhi said it best: “I like your Christ. I don’t like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
        Jesus loves everyone. He even loves you, despite your ignorance. At least this is what the Bible teaches, or does it not?

12. james says:

Most kids loose moms have tats already.

13. chazisnuts says:

Whew. So long as its not Chaz Barbie!

14. xtiansareidiots says:

People are idiots. You have to be eighteen years old to get a tattoo, so what a four year old wants because they saw it in a book, movie, song, cartoon, toy is pretty irrelevant.

Also. Tattoos… so what?

15. Nemo says:

The next Barbie will be a sex toy. Oh, wait, she already is.

16. PMT says:

There was a company that reprogrammed talking barbie. It had low slung jeans,
    a cigarette in her mouth, a wife beater tank top and a babie in her arms. Pull the sting and it said “daddy is the best kisser I’ve ever know.” I kid you not. Did you hear about divorcee barbie, it came with all of ken’s stuff.

17. David says:

What’s the fuss? White trash kids deserve a Barbie too, you know.

1. Mommy with tats says:

I just want u to know that it’s pretty low down to call a child trash! I have tats and I am far from trash, idk what the big deal is over the doll having tats, what about all the wrestling figurines for boys that have tats. Is it different for boys and girls? Btw I think your stupid!

1. Tyson's face tattoo says:

There ya go! I knew there were “action figures” with tattoos!!

2. white says:

your, your, you’re the stupid one. Why would you say “mommy with tats”? And you’re proud of that? How about “mommy with herpes”? Would you advertise that?

18. Dolls are for Girls says:

Aw shoot! Billy already beat me to tagging this one as “Tramp Stamp Barbie”. Girls should learn at an early age the only appropriate place for graffiti is on beat up train cars, not on works of art. This doll sends a bad message to young girls.

1. generationgap says:

You are absolutely correct! If the messages that these filthy tattoos are sending get in the way, how will little girls ever get the TRUE message that barbie sends to them? You know, the one that all women are beautiful….as long as they are 5 feet, 9 inches, measuring 36-18-33.

19. RS says:

Where is exclusively lesbian Barbie when you need her?

20. Steve says:

This is just what Mattell was hoping for – an uproar to give their new doll more publicity!!

Why do people get all up in arms about something so stupid?? Vote with your dollars and live your life.

21. ghejksk says:

The tattoos look like black and blue marks where Ken beat her.

22. Cam says:

These ‘collector’ doll are not meant at all for children. They are created for the sad, sad sub-culture of adult doll collectors. It’s a creepy doll for a creepy bunch of adults. AGAIN this doll was never intended for children and only idiot or absent parents would by their child one.

23. Scotty says:

Just make her about 5-8″ and out of silicone and I’ll buy one.

24. werbaz neutron says:

a big billboard in Dallas: “Dr. Tattoff, tattoo removal. Call for appt.”

25. Farmer Friend says:

The Barbie is a remake of a doll modeled after German prostitutes. Why should we be surprised that she has tattoos?

26. malcom says:

anything to make the White race look bad

27. DOUBLE_CHINNED_PUPPETEER says:

BARBIE NOW RESEMBLES A LOW CLASS HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUT!

1. Iraq Vet says:

Like yourself?

28. KMRomeovidc says:

What’s next, “Occupy Wall Street” Barbies?

29. Smashicus says:

How about a cigarette and a bottle of booze to go with that outfit? Maybe some bondage gear and a whip?

1. jasperddbgghost says:

….and a protest sign and a tent.

She can hang with the OWS crowd, light her up like a big chunk of meth.

30. Freeland Dave says:

For the Christian people should understand the origins of the tattoo go back to paganism, witchcraft and Baal (False God) worship. While it is loosely mentioned in 1 Kings 18 it is specifically mentioned in Leviticus 19:28.

In the King James version of the Christian bible it’s called “mark” which can be somewhat confusing. So it’s necessary to go back to the Aramaic Hebrew and research there.

In the ancient language writing of this particular scripture the word is qa`aqa` pronounced kah·ak·ah’ and literally means “incision, imprintment, tattoo, mark.” Expanding on this it means “a mark branded on the skin” or more specifically a tattoo.

There is no method I am aware of where one can obtain a tattoo with out the letting of blood, a little at least. So when you look at 1 Kings 18:28 “And they cried aloud, and cut themselves after their manner with knives and lancets, till the blood gushed out upon them,” and understand what the Prophet Elijah was facing at the time, it’s pretty clear how God feels about tattoos.

Now many will say that all of that was in the Old Testament and since the crucifixion of Christ it no longer applies. But before you make that rationalization you need to consider a couple of things. First of all, during Christ’s time on Earth among us the New Testament scriptures did not exist yet Christ told us to follow the commandments and his teachings, which were all from the Old Testament scriptures. That being said it is probably wise to consider 1Corinthians 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?” and 1Corinthians 3:16 “If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.” Additionally you may also consider 1 Cor. 10:31 “Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.”

So what if you decide to follow all of this but yet have already gotten a tattoo? Does this mean that God will “destroy” you? The answer is both yes and no. If you continue to sin against God after you know better, the answer is yes. But if you have sinned and have asked for forgiveness AND stop sinning, that sin is forgiven.

Now many will reject this information as they seek to justify themselves and their actions, similar to the Baal worshipers during the time of the Prophet Elijah, and they have every right to do so. God gives all the right to decide. So this information is actually directed to those who profess to be Christian.

It’s also worthy of note that Islam (the Muslims) and Judaism (the Jews) have similar passages of scripture contained in their Holy Books which really isn’t all that unusual since all three religions are of Abrahamic (Abraham) origin to which all three religions believe and teach to the followers of those religions.

As such it’s also interesting in that all three religions follow and worship the same God yet patently in today’s world do not get along and persecute one another.

For me I would never get a tattoo and wouldn’t let my children or grandchildren play with dolls that promote the idea that tattoos are “cool.” What you decide to do is up to you. This is simply sharing some information that I am aware of for Christians who may be considering getting a tattoo because of peer pressure or they think it’s “cool.”

1. Bohunker says:

Freeland, do you know the difference between a “Comment” and an essay?

1. Spanky says:

Yo, whassup, essay?

1. Wild Palms says:

Freeland speaks truth.
          Bohunker edgy.
          Spanky makes me laugh.

2. bella says:

PWNED.

3. JNCali says:

lmao!

4. SuzieQ says:

Funny

2. Brainpod says:

Ummm…who really cares what Xtians think, anyway? Not the majority, that’s for sure.

1. Marot says:

Whats next Junkie Barbie or maybe Porn Barbie? This doll symbolizies the end our civilization a downward spin. It took the Roman Empire 100 years to unrevel were just doing a bit faster.

1. Wahhhmbulance says:

This doll symbolizes the end huh? How’s your rock. Can you see the sunlight under there?

2. Wahhmbulance says:

Really. Keep your invisible, meglomaniacal friend to yourself.

3. JJStryder says:

Thanks for taking the lead and talking for the majority. Quoting Farrakan on Obama “who the hell do you think you are?”

4. imaloserwootwoot says:

Most of them probably never even took the time to read and interpret the Bible for their self anyway. They just sit in church and listen to someone read a few choice sections and call it good. How enlightening.

3. Erik says:

Well said. May God bless you and your family for spreading HIs word, which is life and love.

4. Brian says:

And as a cotholic, I do not remember the bible saying anything about Barbies. Which is what this discussion is about. This article is not about getting tattooes. You should of just wrote the last paragraph which pertains to what we are talking about.

1. MacCane says:

Would you please be able to reason on a Bible principle or two as a sincere Catholic? Since you don’t recall, please consider Romans 2:21, 1 Corinthians 15:33, Ephesians 6:4, John 17:16, 1 John 2:15-17, Galatians 6:7, 8, Isaiah 48:17, 18. If after your prayerful consideration and thought of these verses in your Bible you still wish to go and buy a few of these for your children at least do so knowing full well what you are willfuly ignoring and bringing home to roost in your parenting. Parents today don’t know or are afraid to set standards so all sorts of negative influences are introduced to youngsters who grow up with no restraint, not wanting to be told by anyone what to do. Don’t let yourself be influenced by the many who shut down or cut out intelligent conversation on spiritual matters because much of religion has been hijacked by extremists in our world.

5. Kevin says:

All I can say is there are going to be some extremely ugly folks walking around in twenty years with wrinkled skin and faded tattoo’s. That will probably put a stop to the trend among young folks.

6. Sue Darling says:

Wow! Just wow…….

31. Bohunker says:

Ain’t no wrong here. My bitch has a tattoo. When we have a chile, she gone get tattooed.

32. Bridget Kimble says:

Honestly, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Bratz dolls are a lot more trashy than a barbie with flower tattoos, if you ask me. A lot of these parents really need to get a grip.

1. imaloserwootwoot says:

Bratz don’t even look human. They look like prostitute alien-human hybrids.

1. Prof. Frink says:

From the planet Kardashia?

33. Claudia Colella says:

After all, each parent has the right to buy or not to buy it. Why make of this a National catastrophe right now? Don’t you all think Americans don’t have enough in their hands? Constant analyzing won’t change the fact, that your kid might or not be, a screw up later on in life. That’s a parent responsibility! Grow up, damn it!

34. Denise says:

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE OR AGREE WITH IT “DO NOT BUY IT AND SHUT UP” MY GOSH !! WE HAVE PEOPLE STARVING IN OUR WORLD AND PEOPLE KILLING OTHERS AND CHILDREN BEING NEGLECTED , AND THEY’RE WORRIED ABOUT A DANG DOLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Claudia Colella says:

I agree with you 100%! I am sick of these parents, who constantly want to act like shrinks to their kids, instead of educating them!

1. Verheek says:

Obviously not a parent Claudia? The “shrinks” comment gave it away…

1. MorganGray says:

More likely a 15 year old girl who is trying to rebel against parental authority.

35. Tattoos are ugly says:

Neck tattoos, face tattoos, forearm tattoos, and tattoos any place that isn’t easily covered are for low class people and I appreciate those losers marking themselves so I know to be wary of them.

I don’t think the popularity of tattoos can last. Large tattoos look so ugly. It’s like purposely knocking out a tooth so you can look trashy. Many people will be sorry for getting them one day.

And before you morons argue with me, tell me, would Jenniffer Aniston or Olivia Wilde look better or worse with a giant tattoo on their neck? I probably shouldn’t ask because I am sure there are some loonballs out there who think they would look better with the tattoos.

1. GUEST says:

IF YOUR MOM HAD A TATTOO ON HER; I’D BUY HER😀

2. Trendy247 says:

PLAIN JANE BARBIE WAS EONS AGO. NOW MAKE WAY FOR MODERN BARBIE.

3. Amber says:

Tattoos are a form of expression… whether you believe it or not they are art. Some people choose to hang their art on the wall, others choose to wear it. What is the difference between having a tattoo that can be covered and having one that is visible???

1. tattoos are ugly says:

Yeah sure Amber. Is art is also making giant holes in your ears and putting metal studs under your scalp? Art consists of beauty. Tattoos and other “body art” are ugly and unattractive and therefore not art. Whether or not you consider “body art” to be art is really irrelevant, it is ugly and a sign of a low class person with issues. Sorry if you can’t handle the truth

I love it when you nuts come out of the woodwork thinking that all self-expression is good. Committing crimes is also a form of self-expression; not all self-expression is healthy or productive.

The difference between tattoos that can easily be covered and those that cannot is that at least the person getting the former has enough sense and good judgement not to permaently deface their skin in a way that is always visible to the world. Tattoos that cannot be easily covered are stupid and a sign of a person with very bad judgment and real issues. I wouldn’t hire them, I don’t want to be served by them, and I don’t want to have to look at them.

Tattoos say a lot about a person and what they say isn’t good.

1. Wahhhmbulance says:

Tattoos aren’t art because they’re “ugly and unattractive?” I don’t particularly want to hang Gaugin in my livingroom, but it’s still art. Subjective judgment and emotional reasoning detected. Your view of pretty is just that, nobody is particularly interested.

2. tattoos are sexy says:

that’s your opinion, personally i think some tattoos are sexy. you can’t define art as something i think is beautiful. besides beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

1. Wahhhmbulance says:

My point exactly. Read above.

3. Iraq Vet says:

Wow. You need to get a life.

4. Iraq Vet says:

Also, being former military, I can tell you that most servicemen get tattoos. It’s sort of a tradition. So are you saying that you wouldn’t want us defending your freedom and your right to babble a bunch of crap on websites?

5. max frisson says:

Pardon me, but “ugly” is simply your subjective interpretation of someone’s personal self-vision and then you assume they share your life goals too. You cast that on top of your moronic class stereotyping to create a being who life is of less worth because they don’t present an esthetic you approve of. Your generalizations are enough to prove you to be parochial conformist with little depth and breath to your life and experiences. But that you are bothered simply by their existence is beyond horrifying. Shall we round them up and burn the offending mark off so you don’t have to “look” at them?

1. Iraq Vet says:

Right on brother. I think that was the best comment yet.

6. imaloserwootwoot says:

Your rotten attitude towards other people doesn’t say anything endearing about YOU. Overall, it makes you as a person look quite ugly. If the world doesn’t want to look at it, the world can look at something else. Let’s say… hmm… I don’t know, possibly the millions of starving children living in filth. Maybe even the people in war zones, watching their friends and family members explode in front of them. Perhaps one could take a brief gander at the fact that this world is going to Hell NOT because of people with tattoos, but because of the disgusting plague of self-righteous ignorance.

You think TATTOOS are ugly? HA! Go take a look at the world around you. Humanity’s ugliness comes from within.

7. Bee says:

Y’now the difference between people WITH tattoos and people WITHOUT tattoos? WE don’t really care if you have them or NOT! I’m going to go buy My collector Tattoo Barbie now. OMG, Just think of what she’s gonna be worth in 20 years! Have a nice day Mr. Self Righteous!

2. David says:

Question from Amber: “What is the difference between having a tattoo that can be covered and having one that is visible???”

Answer: A career in a respectable profession versus working in someplace like a convenience store. That will be the difference, Amber.

1. Brian says:

David, I know a bunch of well educated tattooed people that earn six figures every year in the film industry here in Los Angeles. I do believe the film industry is a respectable profession or career. What was your point again David?

2. Lisa says:

not really. I have a tattoo and i work in a hospital as a pharmacy tech and i prepare any IV’s that are needed, from antibiotics to chemo and I do a damn good job. please believe me if you’re sick and in the hospital; you so don’t care if the person saving your life has a damn tattoo! I swear sometimes I hate our country because of all these people who just can’t realize that we all don’t need to be the same!

4. TheRealKingMax says:

Tattoos are ugly said, “….And before you morons argue with me, tell me, would Jenniffer Aniston or Olivia Wilde look better or worse with a giant tattoo on their neck? I probably shouldn’t ask because I am sure there are some loonballs out there who think they would look better with the tattoos”.

I agree.

The only thing that would look good on Jennifer Aniston is me.

36. Weeney says:

I like Tree Hugger Barbie. Pull the string and she spouts mindless environmental babble…Gives me a “Woody”

37. JoeAstroturf says:

Obama would approve. Now if she takes to a tent and beheads some hard working worker he’ll make her a czar to go a long with the tats.

Please Check out song called teapartiers I can’t hear you at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJfboOindCo

Here’s a verse

Dodd , Rangle others steal from us Nancy looks the other way
    trusting these crooks with your health care does that sound OK
    If your old your told you can trust the greedy AARP.
    look at the chart that Congress don’t want you to see.
    Adding the IRS and a 100 more agencies between my doctor and me.
    I’ll probably die waiting at the office of minority
    Congratulations the office of civil rights is next
    cheer up your jobless but they stopped reporting the misery index

38. Mike Alright says:

If your daughter grows up in modern empowered America these days, you can pretty much assume that she will turn into one of those loose women anyways. who also likes to cut herself. This doll should be the least of your worries.

1. Verheek says:

Amen to that. The land of free choice and no guidance because that would be imposing one’s views. And after all, we all are individuals whose decisions affect no one else. That’s why I’m raising my SIL’s kids because she slept with two guys as a teenager, drunk at the bar. Gotta love free choice. I hate hearing, “As long as they aren’t bothering someone else it’s nobody’s business what they do.” Again, pipe dream!!!!

39. Brian says:

If you do not want your kid’s looking at a tattooed Barbie……………….then don’t buy them one! It’s as simple as that. It’s not sold at stores, only online. So I don’t see the problem. I hate it when parent’s complain about the most stupid situations. Your kids do not have money to buy nor have access to this Barbie. Get a life people!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Brian is clueless says:

Why don’t you get a life? You are the one commenting on the story that you don’t think anybody should care about. Kids don’t live in a vacuum. Whether or not their parents buy Low-Class Barbie for their kids, their kids could see it somewhere and begin to think that defacing your body is desirable and acceptable. Parents can’t keep their kids locked up in a cave until they become adults. Are you really this dumb?

I think it is a reason for concern when our society becomes so dysfunctional that drawing ugly permanent pictures on your skin is considered desirable or acceptable and something we should encourage kids to do, which is what this doll does. Just a sign of how messed up our society has become. We are definitely on the way down. And Clueless Brian is part of the problem.

1. phil says:

HAHAHA you are unbelievable. A tattooed doll is saying it is acceptable? So let me ask then how do you protect your children from this? Do you filter their magazines, tv, internet? If so I truly feel sorry for your kids. Sheltering them accomplishes nothing. Try teaching them why tattoos are bad(in your opinion) Not hiding them from them. All you are doing is sheltering them so that when they reach 189 and move out they will be shocked by the real world. This right here is what’s called terrible parenting. You are pathetic by the time they reach 16 they will know friends with tats and then they will think its ok and then they will go get one to spite you, good luck with that.

1. Brian says:

I couldn’t of said it any better Phil. Brian is clueless is actually the one who’s clueless.

2. verheek says:

Phil, apparently, does not understand kids are impressionable and that exposing them to anything and everything in the name of avoiding sheltering is like looking at the world through rose coloured glasses. That’s why we don’t play R rated movies to 4 year olds because they can’t handle it. Duh! Kids learn about life through everything around them and are naive as the wind driven snow. If you don’t have kids, stop comment on this forum about whether it affects them or not.

2. Joe says:

I think it is reason for concern that people like you are so uptight and full of yourselves that you think YOU get to decide what is and is not acceptable to do to your body. Our society is messed up? Yea it is but not because of ink, it is because people in this country like you have nothing better to do that try to impose your views on others. MIND YOUR OWN GOD DAM BUSINESS!!!

1. Verheek says:

OK here we go with the impose views balarny. It brings nothing to the discussion to push people away. You want to live in a vacuum? Good luck. This world is a community, not a bunch of individuals.
          And another thing, don’t use God’s name like that. Thanks.

1. Iraq Vet says:

GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN
            GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN
            GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN
            GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN GOD DAMN

1. Iraq Vet says:

Ha ha ha! That’s not only funny, but true as well! Ha ha ha!

2. Bee says:

Hey Verheek, have you noticed that ‘GODDAMN’ AND a variety of other ‘unmentionable’ profane words are on most TV shows in this decade? Do you turn the freaking channel or mute the TV so your kids cant hear that kind of vocabulary in your presence? Do you call the networks and tell them ” dont swear on TV”??? Come back to the land of the here and now,… the kids in school swear more than the parents! And GASP! most of them know what the words mean. Geez man, God Damn.

40. Ken says:

Barbie was made in the likeness of a real prostitute. I’m not surpassed by this. She’s been living in a the Barbie Camper a.k.a. trailer for as long as I remember.

1. Ken says:

oops, surprised, not surpassed. By the way, she was running around with G.I. Joe behind my back!

41. Guest says:

Well Reve, I have an idea, don’t buy it then…. leave everyone else to make up their own mind.

I would not buy one for my daughter, but I will not go as far as trying to stop someone else from having that choice.

Don’t “Should” on me or “Should” on others……

42. Skank_Barbie says:

It’s skank Barbie! Does she come with a crack pipe and condoms for the johns?

43. Sandra says:

Tattoo Barbie is sending a wrong message? Seriously? I wonder how many eating disorders Barbie caused by influencing little girls to strive for 39″ bust, an 18″ waist, 33″ hips and a size 3 shoe. STFU & GTFO.

44. Guest says:

I remember reading an article in “National Geographic” about Africans with rings around their necks, huge disks in bottom lips, etc. and saying it was art and Americans did the same thing by piercing their ears or sporting tattoos. I swore back in the early ’60s I’d never put myself in the same league as an African… and I still won’t get a tattoo…. nor will I put disks in my lips to look like a duck.

45. Bob Onnitt says:

Looks horrible like all real tatted up people do. I predict the growth industry in 2020 will be laser tattoo removal clinics for all of the dopes that thought ugly looking ink “art” was cool in the last decade or so. hahahahahaha

1. phil says:

I love how when people dont like something they feel the need to criticize people as if everybody thinks the same way. Guess what I think tatted people look fine and some look great(Kat von D and I have seen her with tats airbrushed, she doesn’t look as good.) And I bet that is not the growth industry. There ya go I feel the opposite making your view null. Keep doing whatever you want people, and god bless america.

1. tattoos are sexy says:

amen phil amen

2. Verheek says:

Hahaha. I know people who regret they couldn’t get rid of them when they got older. Maturing has a way of doing that.

1. Iraq Vet says:

How tight is your butthole?

1. Verheek says:

You tell me.

1. Iraq Vet says:

You’d like that wouldn’t you? F’ing child molesting preacher.

46. gjk says:

Why no pregnant Barbie?

Oh, right, she’s too old…

1. sbr says:

That comes next… Trashy Barbie will be knocked up by Trashy Ken (“with 21 piercings!”) before you know it.

2. Michael R. says:

Why not Barbie emerging from an abortion clinic?

3. mel says:

there has been a pregnant Barbie. And no one had a fit over that like they are on this one!

47. Herman Cain says:

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

48. pugphan says:

This is really disgusting! Insecure celebs are role models whether they like it or not, and just about all of them are sporting ink. We don’t need kid’s toys to send them the same pagan message. Those stone age south pacific islanders wore it to scare their opponents in war, and those present day peeps wear them to maintain their traditions. We are not neanderthals, and have no need for it. The
    only reason it’s a growing trend is because a lot of peeps today are idol worshipers, fawning over their insecure celebs and doing what ever they do. The Creator didn’t put us here to be billboards for graffito. smokersodysseycom I hope they have to eat them.

1. Phil says:

Then what did the creator put is here for hmmmm? What is the meaning of life? I also do not believe he put us here to be jewelry racks, so do you have piercings? Do you wear jewelry? Fasionable clothes? You are advertising when you wear name brands and jewelry so I do believe you are a moronic billboard already. Try minding your own damn business dipsh!t

1. Brian says:

Pugphan is a GAP billboard that the Creator does not approve of.

2. Verheek says:

He put us here originally for something much better than we have had since Adam and Eve. We are here with a need to find Him and live for Him. You can find a lot more by buying a book called the Bible and reading cover to cover.

1. Iraq Vet says:

Really? You know this because you had a conversation with him about it? Get over your self-rightous self. The bible was written by man not some great man in the sky.

1. TheRealKingMax says:

“Iraq Vet”, hmmmm?

With an attitude like your’s, you need another TOD… go back over and let Allah take another crack at you.

1. Iraq Vet says:

Allah doesn’t kill people. IED’s do. I wouldn’t criticize brother. I made through two tours biatch. I’m almost positve that you wouldn’t last a day.

2. generationgap says:

What an amazingly Christian thing of you to say. This soldier, along with hundreds of thousands of other Americans risked/gave their lives so that you could live in a country that allows us to follow our own beliefs. I lost my husband to the war and for you to make such a statement is a dishonor to his memory.

49. Billy says:

I’m buying my baby mommy “tramp stamp Barbie” for Christmas.Yo!

50. stoptouchingthatmabel says:

What about meth Barbie she is pretty skinny.

1. Jersey Dave says:

Yeah really. Wonder if th enew Barbie has a tramp stamp? Bleh.

Got to love people letting kids get tats all over, even the face. Not exactly going to help them find work:/

1. Huh says:

Not that there is a lot of jobs out there anyway…

1. MorganGray says:

Sure. No jobs. That’s why the local jobs council in my area has a jobs fair 4 to 5 times a year.
          The problem is that lazy, entitlement-minded, “you-owe-me-everything” types want to come right out of high school, assuming they graduate in the first place, and go right into a $50k per year job with 30 weeks vacation, full bennies, and a Bugatti Veyron company car (fully paid for of course).
          I had one teenager tell me to my face he would not take a minimum wage burger-flipper job. He’d rather be unemployed.
          I am beginning to think we need to go back to the days of mandatory 4 years military service, and expand it to include women as well. We can’t discriminate, now can we?

Comments are closed.