City Posts ‘No Parking’ Signs At Popular Halloween House In Clifton

CLIFTON, NJ (CBSNewYork) — Police are cracking down this weekend in one Clifton neighborhood to keep out-of-towners from checking out a house that draws hundreds of visitors each year with its massive Halloween display.

LISTEN: WCBS 880’s Sean Adams reports

The elaborate display at 562 Grove Street features some of the scariest sights around, with scores of bloody corpses on the ground and the roof, tombstones, zombies, ghouls and goblins and more.

Many of them are robotic that move and make spooky sounds as people pass by.

There are snakes, spiders and creepy crawlies hanging from wires and trees and even actors dressed up in costumes who walk the sidewalk.

clifton halloween house 2 City Posts No Parking Signs At Popular Halloween House In Clifton

A Halloween display at a house on Grove Street in Clifton, NJ on Oct. 28, 2011 (credit: CBS 2)

It’s been a popular attraction for the past decade that some neighbors say has become too popular.

“It gets really congested and kind of dangerous, people crossing the street,” said one neighbor.

“Traffic is blocked up on both sides of Grove Street,” said another neighbor.

That’s why this Halloween weekend, the city has posted no parking signs around the neighborhood as a safety measure.

Homeowner Wayne Gangi, who sets up the spooky display, says he was contacted by the city.

“The city reached out to me at one point trying to find out how they could mitigate complications of last year of which I’m not sure what they were speaking of because there were traffic accidents that I’m aware of and no injuries that I’m aware of,” Gangi told 1010 WINS. “But they were trying to insist that I be paying off-duty police officers to control the traffic in front of my home.”

Gangi said he met with officials to work out a compromise, but had no luck. He said he’s worried about people having to walk to see the display.

“Is this actually going to better the situation or worsen the risk to the injury of children,” he told WCBS 880’s Sean Adams.

Nevertheless, visitors will have to park far away or view the carnage as they drive by.

The no parking rule will be in effect from 5 p.m. to midnight Friday through Monday.

What do you think? Sound off below in our comments section…

Comments

1. Patricia says:

I think all of you are out of control. I have known Dr Gangi for 30 years and he a great Dr, and a great person. He does this for the children. I have a 9 year old with brain cancer for 4 years. Why not come with us on chemotherapy day and then YOU can complain when you see all of these sick children,

2. Wolf says:

More freedom lost. Every year, little by little, the citizens of the USA are losing more and more freedom.

3. HALLOWEEN LOVER says:

IT SOUNDS AS IF THE NEIGHBORS OF DR GANGI ARE A BUNCH OF HATERS. IF YOU PEOPLE FAVOR THE NO PARKING ON YOUR STREETS, THEN MAYBE IT SHE BE IMPOSED ALL YEAR LONG. THAT WILL FIX ALL YOUR PROBLEMS. NO MORE HOLIDAYS, NO MORE COMPANY, NO MORE BAR-B-Q’S. IS THAT WHAT WE HAVE BECOME? EASE UP AND STOP COMPLAINING. LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SUCH NIT-PICKERS. I LOVE TO DECORATE FOR THE HOLIDAYS, AND I CAN;T TELL YOU HOW MANY COMPLIMENTS I RECEIVE FROM MY NEIGHBORS. THE DEGREE OF DECORATING IS ON A LESSER LEVEL, BUT SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE SAID HOW MUCH THEY ENJOY MY TIME. CAN’T WE ALL APPRECIATE WHAT WE DO FOR OTHERS, AND STOP TO THINK OF THE JOY IT BRINGS?

1. Tired of being trampled... says:

Let him set it up on the property around the corner for you and see what it does to your neighbors after a few years of torture. If it was one day it wouldn’t be near as bad. If it didn’t get Larger and larger every year it wouldn’t be something that gets harder to deal with. NO one disputes that it’s a fabulous idea and that he doesn’t put a TON of effort into it, it’s just not in the best location for the crowd it is drawing and the automobiles they obviously have to use to get to it.

4. Eden says:

I am a neighbor who has also experienced vandalism. Gangi doesn’t reach out to the neighbors at all to try to minimize impact. I suspect that if he did that, he could actually listen to the neighbors and provide proper efforts for the safety — and well being — of the entire neighborhood and well as our properties. Instead, the arrogance and outright non-caring attitude he’s displayed has created a tidal wave of complaints from tax-paying residents who are all sick of dealing with this simply because of where we live, and the city has responded as it should. Want to give back to the community? Move this somewhere with proper parking facilities so you don’t have people swarming the neighborhood, charge a nominal fee, and give that to charity. THAT would be giving back. THIS, though, is ego.

1. At a crossroads says:

I agree Eden… My son spent days decorating our lawn because he loves Dr. Gangi’s display too and then we woke up this morning to see so much of trampled over, broken and destroyed. We live just 2 blocks from the house. I was happy the no parking made it better until yesterday when the usual hoards swarmed and the parking/driving and craziness was increased by other towns postponing the trick or treating. I don’t think ANYONE who doesn’t live around this house has any idea what we go through for him and them to enjoy that display. It is WEEKs of traffic nightmares, it is in NO WAY one day! Thankfully no accidents yes, but what about what happens just a block and a half from the home with destructive and careless visitors? How would they all feel listening to their 6 year old cry because his work he wanted people to admire was DESTROYED!? Want to hear a Grinch… I buy 100’s of dollars in candy to make Anyone who comes to our area smile too and this is what my son gets in return???

5. S a n t aC l a u s says:

Some jew probably complained. They don’t like any non-jew holidays. HO-HO-HO!!!!!!!

6. HALLOWEEN LOVER says:

I HAVE VISITED THIS HOME NUMEROUS TIME EACH SEASON FOR SEVERAL YEARS, AND THANK YOU DR, GANGI. I HAVE BROUGHT MY KIDS AND GRANDCHILDREN, AND I COMMEND THIS MAN AND HIS FAMILY FOR EXTENDING SUCH KINDNESS TO THE PUBLIC. ISN’T OUR WORLD DEPRESSED ENOUGH THAT WE MUST TAKE AWAY WHAT LITTLE JOYS IN LIFE ARE THERE FOR US? I THINK THIS IS JUST A RIDICULOUS PLOY FOR THE TOWN TO MAKE MORE MONEY, SO THEY CONVERT IT INTO A CONCERN OF SAFETY. WHEN WILL SCROOGES AND THE GRINCHES OF THE WORLD RELAX? HAVE SOME FUN AND LET OTHERS ENJOY. THANKS TO DR. GANGI

7. Barbara Stara says:

This men doesn’t cara about the neighbors, he only cares to feed his own ego .
    Thank you, police for a super job here,

8. iggy says:

this is word from the fat guy in the governors office

9. Bobbie says:

I think it is great what Wayne is doing for the children. People need to really get a life and let the children and this poor guy enjoy ONE day of fun out of the year. This is a prime example of why there are so many miserable people in this world, LOOSEN UP FOLKS and have some fun with this. Its Contagious!

10. Justin Fencsak says:

i know this house because i used to drive around with my dad to visit this house of horrors, only the outside. Thankfully the police is doing their part to not allow parked cars near this scary house.

11. John J says:

I personally have been working as one of the live props at this home for either 4 or 5 years now. The police would come here and assist at times with the traffic but not all the time. Dr. Gangi has a crew of his own that assist in making sure everything runs smoothly while everyone has a great time. This crew has done everything from keeping the traffic moving to keeping everyone safely out of the streets. In the 4-5 years I have been there, there has never been one car accident nor has there been anyone hurt at this site. Dr. Gangi spends tons of money and time for nothing more than to entertain. He asks for nothing from anyone. I can respect the neighbors feelings on the crowds but this is mostly a 1 day event. At this point, the police, the mayor, and the township are doing everything within their power to ruin it. For 8 years they never handed out a ticket on this crowded street but this year, in one night, they handed out over 125 parking tickets, or should I say they wrote down plate numbers and are mailing out tickets. REALLY PATHETIC CLIFTON….

1. Alex says:

One day event? Last year it was 4 days over 2 weekends, this year it’s already started today (Friday). Just a minor correction on your post, there. What people experience has been expanding and it’s good the city has done something — the needs of the neighborhood must be balanced with the event. When people have vandalism, excessive litter, etc… then it’s gone too far.

1. BD says:

funny, i live on a corner property of a busy road and i have excessive litter every damn day which is borderline vandalism when i have to pick up food scraps and have soda spilling all over my driveway and sidewalk. I wonder if i can get a no parking sign put up in my neighborhood. 4 days a year, your ridiculous for even adding your 2 cents about this. You should be lucky people are even coming to clifton anymore, possibly boosting the economy of the local restaurants and shops in the area.

12. p8nt says:

While the no parking rule is a good start, more should be done by both the town and the homeowner, to ensure everyone’s safety and well being. No doubt, surrounding houses will bear damages from the hoards of people that visit the house, that part is unavoidable.

13. At a crossroads says:

I personally am glad that the no parking is in effect. I have the sheer torture of being a neighbor who is not unhappy that the home is done so nicely for a holiday but more unhappy that the individuals who have come to visit the home are not respectful of the property around his. They have destroyed things from our displays, we have witnessed urination on our lawn and littering, not to mention that it inundates us with so many trick or treating by the children of those who come to admire it so much so that our own children are confronted by “NO MORE CANDY” signs from their neighbors if they can’t go early and we can NEVER have company or a party on the holiday because our friends and relatives can’t get Anywhere Near our home. It will be interesting to see what the no parking accomplishes.

14. Asa Yu says:

Let’s see:
    Do you think these police care about the potential public safety threats of this display or do you think they use this kind of tactic regularly for police to make money, beyond the salary they are paid for their benevolent service and protection?

(And, for the people screaming, “It’s both. Both reasons! These cops need to make a living and extra police presence is needed!” I say to you, you are not fooling me, so I can’t imagine your justifications are gonna work with anybody else of a certain level of intelligence. Most importantly, God is not fooled by them.)

How’s about we as a society start re-working this police situation? Let’s cut down the number of police. I would rather have 5 men of integrity vigilantly protecting me and my neighbors than 5,000 of the human sludge that fills the positions these days.

1. Skel says:

Sounds like you’re more of a cop hater than a neighbor hater. This is not about the police so go comment on that somewhere else. Also, I will no longer be ordering Chinese food from you.

Comments are closed.