News

Elderly Couple Dies In Fire At Teaneck Home

View Comments
Henry and Alberta mood were killed in a fire at their Teaneck home (credit: CBS 2)

Henry and Alberta mood were killed in a fire at their Teaneck home (credit: CBS 2)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

TEANECK, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – A simple effort to stay warm on a freezing night caused an elderly northern New Jersey couple to lose their lives.

Henry and Alberta Mood died when a kerosene lamp apparently sparked a fire at their Shepard Avenue home in Teaneck that had lost power during the weekend nor’easter, officials said.

Neighbors said Alberta, a diabetic on dialysis and double-amputee, was trapped inside the burning home.

“It’s numbing on the entire block,” neighbor Ben Whaley said.

The entire block has been without power since Saturday and neighbors in the area said freezing temperatures have forced everyone to take extreme measures.

The lamp was in a first-floor bedroom where Alberta Moody’s body was found.

View Comments