Report: Marlins Offer Jose Reyes Six Years, $90 Million
NEW YORK (WFAN) — Is Jose Reyes a goner?
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says, despite all the hubbub surrounding the All-Star’s visit to Miami last week, it’s too soon to come to conclusions.
“I still think it’s early, notwithstanding all the background noise of the past week,” he said Monday after arriving for the annual GM meetings in Milwaukee.
But the situation is evolving — and quickly. According to FOXSports.com, the Marlins have made Reyes an initial offer for six years at $90 million.
That’s bad news for fans of the cash-conscious Mets. The New York Daily News reported earlier this month that Alderson is “not comfortable” offering more than four years to the shortstop.
“I don’t think Jose ending up anywhere outside the borough of Queens is ideal,” said Alderson, who is looking to trim around $30 million from New York’s payroll. “So in terms of in the division or out of the division, that is not something we can control.”
He added: “I wouldn’t say that’s strictly the case — that if the payroll were higher we would definitely re-sign Jose. I wouldn’t say that was necessarily the case.”
Reyes is “intrigued” in playing for Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, reported FOXSports.com. Also in the Marlins’ favor? The Florida heat, which could be an ideal climate for Reyes’ troublesome hamstrings.
“Nobody has promised us we’ll have the last clear chance,” said Alderson. “But I would expect we’ll have a chance to talk with Jose’s agents.”
Six years, $90 million: Should the Mets up the ante? Sound off below…