Mother Of Suspected ‘Lone Wolf’ Terrorist Apologizes To City

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The mother of an alleged “lone wolf” terrorist accused of trying to build pipe bombs to destroy police cars, post office vehicles and other targets around Manhattan is apologizing to the city.

“I want to apologize to the city,” Carmen Sosa told CBS 2’s Kristin Thorne. “I love New York and I’ve been here since 1987. I’m very disappointed by what my son is doing.

Sosa said she saw a change in her son, 27-year-old Jose Pimentel, a few years ago when he separated from his ex-wife. He began reading the Koran, learning Arabic and started a website dedicated to discussing the religion of Islam.

Sosa knew in her gut that something was wrong but when she confronted her son he said “it’s not your business.”

“This is a tragedy and we need the time to cope with this,” the suspect’s cousin, Giselle Rodriguez told CBS 2’s Sean Hennessey. “We’re in pieces, you know? We’re in pieces. It’s like you don’t know who you live with.”

1010 WINS’ Terry Sheridan reports

Pimentel was born on November 8, 1984 in the Dominican Republic. He came to New York City when he was 5 years old. As he grew older, he was described as being somewhat aimless, though he studied business, CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman reported.

“I think he did odd jobs, but also he lived with family members. Sort of, eked his way through,” Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

WCBS 880’s Marla Diamond On The Story

In 2004, Pimentel  moved to Schenectady and converted to Islam that same year. In December 2005, he was arrested for buying computer with stolen credit card information he got while working at an Albany Circuit City.  Around that time, he also got married and had a child.

Prosecutors say Pimentel, an American citizen, became a radicalized jihadist, taking his inspiration from slain cleric Anwar Al-Awlaki and Osama bin Laden. Investigators said Pimentel went by the name Muhammad Yusuf. He was arrested Saturday after he was putting the finishing touches on a third bomb, officials said.

carmen sosa Mother Of Suspected Lone Wolf Terrorist Apologizes To City

Carmen Sosa, the mother of terror suspect Jose Pimentel (credit: CBS 2)

Sosa said she didn’t see her son allegedly making the bombs inside their apartment on West 137th Street in Harlem because she works seven days a week at a non-profit mental health group.

Sosa said her son is not a killer.

‘It’s not like that,” she said. “My son is not like that.”

Luis Severino told CBS 2 he knows little about his nephew even though they both lived under the same roof.

“When I would come home from work he would be sleeping during the day. Then when I would come home at night he would be out or I don’t know where,” Severino said. “He didn’t have problems; he only liked the religion of the Muslim.”

People who live in the building are disturbed by the allegations.

“This building is very quiet,” Luciana Xavier said. “You don’t hear anything strange. You don’t see anything strange.”

Sosa said her son was going to change his name to Osama Hussein to celebrate his heroes Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.

Sound off in our comments section below…

Comments

1. Meme Meyagi says:

what is done about 7 million mooslime terrorists living in usa?

2. MIKE says:

ALL PRAISE DUE TO ALLAH.

1. Meme Meyagi says:

jihad yourself fkn mooslime terrorist

1. MIKE says:

DID MAKE FUN OF YOUR RELIGION?? THATS WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE TODAY… ALWAYS LABELING SOMEONE. YOU WITH YOUR MAN MADE RELIGION…LOOK IN THE MIRROR. WHITE HAS KILLED MORE THAN THE LAW ALLOWS!

3. j says:

The Department of Justice use torture to make suspects look unstable and therefor play into hands of jurors and conjured witnesses. Humiliation, drugging, sleep deprivation, stress positions, threats of physical violence, harassing relatives, etc… are commonly used.

Corrupt DoJ, DoD and CIA employees had taken bribes from Al Quida in exchange for information and logistics support during the four years prior to 9/11.

When one considers that the 9/11 terrorists could take jumbo jet flying lessons, move about the US unobstructed, live for several weeks less than 2 miles from NSA head quarters and be on State Department watch lists, besides there being some proof of it, this makes sense.

1. Alfred Quida says:

I have NOT bribed anyone at anytime.

4. ElrompeAguakate4u says:

e’te tigere ta loco! Palomo.

1. MIKE says:

I CAN’T READ FRENCH, BUT IF YOU ARE SAYING DOWN WITH WHITEY I AGREE!

5. trooooooth says:

a terrorist, and a bum.

6. RC says:

My God Bless this mother, she being like a mother and her son indirectly just spat in her face for saying “not your business”. I’m a father and you try to raise your kids the best way you can and that’s all you can do, its up to the child to stay on the right path and this one obviously has no respect for her.

7. MIKE says:

SHE HAS NOTHING TO APLOLOGIZE FOR!!!!!! WHAT TERRORIST? PLEASE THE MEDIA PAINTED HIM THAT. WHAT THOSE LITTLE CAUCASION WHITE KIDS WHO AT THIS POINT ARE KMAKING ALL SORTS OF CRAP IN THEIR PARENTS MILLION DOLLAR MANSION!! WHY ARENT THEY TERRORIST.

THIS IS A PLOT TO MAKE EVERY BROWN PERSON A TARGET FOR TERRORIST WHEN THE REAL TERRRORIST ARE WHITE!

1. IgnoranteElephante says:

How you get away with overt racism is troubling. You generalize and assume most white kids live in million dollar mansions and make bombs.

The irony is that, if I made the far more accurate generalization that minorities mostly live in housing projects or government subsidized residences, receive public assistance, are on Medicare, Medicaid, or both, and have no desire to better themselves and pay their own way, you would be in an uproar over my racism.

2. Ellen says:

Hey fella if you and your like don’t have any use for this country then get the hell out, and live among those peace loving Muslims like in Iraq.

3. Islam is a joke says:

Islam is the God of the devil.USAshould be Islam free they hate us anyway send them packing.

1. p8nt says:

Who in the world let you out from under the gigantic rock of closed-minded ignorance that you live in???

4. rick says:

you’re an idiot.

5. Amir says:

You’re obviously a moron, and a bigotted racist one at that.

1. MIKE says:

YOU ARE ALL EVIL…EVIL!! WHITE CAUCASIONS ARE THE WORST!

1. Mikes mom i apologize for his comments says:

ISLAM preaches hate and stupidity.Islam should be banned in USA if you dont like us get the blank out. Give this reject a life sentence and deport his mother and her apology.

8. Martha Salvia Erickson says:

She is a MOTHER and I give her a lot of credit for her apology. Even the worst criminals have or had a mother. I feel sorry for her! Other mothers just hide and never say a thing. I was watching yesterday the case of MEGAN and the mother of the killer never spoke to anyone. At least say : I’m sorry I brought this monster into the world”

9. YOUSANDI says:

One word….IDIOTA!!!!

10. JRF says:

This mom deserves a lot of credit. To admit and take action against her own child is commendable. Most mothers would have closed their eyes in disbelief or denial. Thank you, you are one of the people I will be thankful for this Thanksgiving. You have saved many innocent lives. God Bless you.

1. JRF says:

PS I was being sarcastic, I would have believed her apology if she had actually turned him in herself. I think she’s covering her a**.

11. Patrick Creeden says:

“Blast” police cars? ‘Lived upstate for five year”.. Who’s writing this article, a fifth grader?

Comments are closed.