200 Bears Killed On 1st Day Of Controversial NJ Bear Hunt

TRENTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork/AP) — Wildlife officials estimate that 200 bears were killed Monday on the first day of the state’s black bear hunt.

The state says it has to reduce the black bear population in because there are too many bear-human encounters.  However, opponents argue it’s about trophies, rugs and politics, CBS 2’s Christine Sloan reported.

Animal activists opposed to New Jersey’s black bear are being allowed to protest at certain bear check stations during the six-day hunt. A ruling in state superior court ruled Monday says up to 25 people can demonstrate at the Franklin bear check station in Sussex County between noon and 4 p.m. each day.

One protester crossed permit boundaries and was arrested at the weigh station in Franklin.  Despite the protests, hunters dismissed the criticism.

1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg with Hunters and Protesters

“These people are out of touch, there’s too many bears in this area,” hunter Bruce Levendusky told Sloan.

A greater number were being allowed to demonstrate at two other weigh stations. Critics of the hunt had been pushing for the Franklin station permit as it is a high-visibility site.

Environmental Protection Department officials felt it was too a dangerous a spot for a large gathering.

Hunters took to the woods at the crack of dawn today, hoping to bag a black bear. A hunter brought the first bear into the Franklin Borough weigh station about 9:30 a.m., as well as a cub weighing 78 pounds, 1010 WINS’ Steve Sandberg reported.

Officials hope that the six day hunt will reduce the population of black bears, which is estimated at 3,400. The growing population is increasingly encountering humans, wildlife officials said.

WCBS 880’s Sean Adams: Even A Dead Bear Is Intimidating

“The hunt is nothing but a trophy hunt for hunters to bring home rugs, mounts and wall trophies. That’s the only thing this hunt is,” said Angie Metler of the Animal Protection League of New Jersey.

“They’re in my backyard a lot, and I have a young daughter, always aware of her being out there with the bear,” said hunter Fred Hasert.

Nearly 600 bears were killed in last year’s hunt.

Do you support the hunt or oppose it? Sound off in our comments section below.

(TM and © Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments

1. PAT says:

ATROCIOUS TO HUNT THESE ANIMALS IN A CIVILIZED SOCIETY-THEY HAVE SO FEW OF THEM 3000 IS NOT VERY MANY AND SHOULD BE VALUED AND PEOPLE TAUGHT TO RESPECT AND GET ALONG WITH THEM. IT SENDS THE WRONG MESSAGE TO CHILDREN. IF THEY HAD NO BEARS IN NEW JERSEY THEY WOULD PROBABLY GO ELSEWHERE TO FIND AND KILL THEM. WILD ANIMALS SHOULD HAVE RIGHTS AND A LAWYER SHOULD HAVE ARGUED THIS CASE PRIOR TO FISH AND GAME GIVING OUT PERMITS-THE PUBLIC SHOULD HAVE A SAY AS TO WHAT GOES ON IN OUR COUNTRY INCLUDING NEW JERSEY,NOT JSUT THE IDIOTS AT FISHAND GAME WHO MUST BE LAZY ON THE JOB, IF 3000 BEARS ARE TOO MUCH FOR THEM TO HANDLE. IT MUST STOP AND WISH I KNEW WHAT I COULD DO TO STOP IT OR MAKE HUNTING AN=GAINST THE LAW..

1. Laurie Byro says:

While we appreciate the above listing, NJ is the land of the corrupt and uneducated. Look at the current administration and lack of funding for public libraries and education while the gov takes helicopter rides and puts his children in private schools. Elitism at its worst. A “reasonable” hunt as they do in many other states where “baiting” and age restrictions apply would be the appropriate way to go. As it is, someone, prolly a hunter is going to get injured and perhaps then, Trenton will sit up and take notice.

2. NYGirl says:

Hunting is not a sport. A big fat man with a rifle shooting an animal doesn’t sound very sporty to me. I’m all for the second amendment except when it comes to killing our animals. We are supposed to be the smartest species and this is what we come up with? Too many bears, gotta kill them. People make me sick. Everyone that does this will be punished in some way. You can’t take from the earth and not give back. Karma will come to you. And for all you idiots advocating shooting bears that belong here, maybe when a they come up with shooting people because there are too many of them, let’s see how you like it. I hope you people are the first to go.

1. Brian Graham says:

Not a sport?! I beg to differ it is a sport not all hunters are fat, I for one live in Alaska and if you want to hun in this state you have to be able to pack 100+ pound pack through mountains, swamps and whatever else mother nature decides to throw at you while you are in the field. last successful hunt I was on I killed a moose 3 miles from camp and about half way up 3500 foot mountain it took me almost 8 trips carrying 100+ pond pack to get all the meat and the head out. and back to bears have you ever been intimidated or stalked by a bear, ever seen a maul victim? well maybe you should then your thoguhts might change on the matter. And Just in case you didn’t know who do you think contributes the most money to animal conservation? Hunters do, that’s right us evil hunters, don’t beleive me look it up do some research. Oh yeah karma doesn’t exist, so my question are you advocating an act of violence on your fellow man? cause it sure sounds like it to me…..

1. Rodin says:

SPORT is between equals on an even playing field. I say hunting for sport is a coward’s distraction.

“And Just in case you didn’t know who do you think contributes the most money to animal conservation? Hunters do, that’s right us evil hunters….”

To satisfy your insatiable thirst for blood and macho insecurities. I’m really impressed by your physical prowess. Wish I could say the same about your mental capabilities.

“No one shoots a wolf to keep from going hungry…, they have been brought back only to be killed again.”
        ~ VERLYN KLINKENBORG
        American non-fiction author, member of the editorial board
        of The New York Times since 1997

It’s open season in the Rockies. SAME GOES FOR BEARS.

“… are you advocating an act of violence on your fellow man?”

“Homo homini lupus” (“Man is a wolf to man.”)
        ~ PLAUTUS
        Roman playwright
        (c. 254–184 BC)

Nothing could be worse.

“Dogs are blameless, devoid of calculation, neither blessed nor cursed with human motives. They can’t really be held responsible for what they do. But we can.”
        ~ JON KATZ
        American journalist and author

SAME GOES FOR BEARS AND ALL ANIMALS (except the “human” animal).

“Homo homini lupus” (“Man is a wolf to man.”)
        ~ PLAUTUS
        Roman playwright
        (c. 254–184 BC)

To call you a beast or any other animal based pejorative would be to defame the animal kingdom.

“Wild animals never kill for sport. Man is the only one to whom the torture and death of his fellow creatures is amusing in itself.”
        ~ JAMES A. FROUDE
        English historian, novelist, biographer
        (1818-1894)

To sum up:

“Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil’s pawn. Alone among god’s primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother’s land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.”
        ~ ROD SERLING in THE PLANET OF THE APES

How about a Hunt Hunters Season, just for sport?

1. BRIAN says:

YUP I’M BLOOD THIRSTY ALL RIGHT IF THAT’S WHAT YOU CALL MAKING SURE MY FAMILY HAS MEAT FOR THE WINTER AND A REASONABLE PRICE…..AND LET’S SEE HERE NO ONE KILLS A WOLF FOR FOOD WELL FOR THE MOST PART YOU ARE RIGHT THERE, WE KILL WOLVES TO CONTROL ANIMAL POPULATION IF YOU HAVE TO MANY WOLVES IN ONE AREA IT DESTROYS THE MOOSE OR CARIBOU POPULATION. MOST OF ALASKA NATIVE VILLAGES STILL LIVE OFF THE LAND THAT’S CALLED SUBSISTENCE LIFE STYLE. ON THE COASTAL REGIONS THE NATIVES HUNT WHALES AND MORE INTERIOR NATIVES HARVEST BOU AND MOOSE. SO IF INDEED WE LET WOLVES DESIMATE THE HEARD POPULATION A LOT OF PEOPLE GO HUNGRY. BUT HONESTLY I DON’T EXPECT YOU LEFT WINGER NUT JOBS TO UNDERSTAND….SO IF OR WHEN MEAT SKY ROCKETS AND FOOD IN GENERAL YOU’LL BE SPENDING A HECK OF A LOT OF MONEY TO FEED YOUR FAMILY. I’LL JUST USE GAS TO DRIVE AND A BULLET AND A LOT OF WORK FOR ME. OH AND NICE QUOTE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES AFTER ALL MOVIE QUOTES FROM FAKE MONKEY MEN GO ALONG WAY IN SOCIETY! LOL

1. Rodin says:

I’m SURE your family needs your hunting spoils to survive winters. You’re delusional! It’s why you can’t tell the difference between what a brilliant writer writes and his fictional characters, “FAKE MONKEY MEN.”

Besides, all your huffin’ and a’puffin’ is for naught. The subject is SPORT hunting not hunting for survival in the tundra. But you need outrage and insult because you have no arguments.

I also think you’re lying. I do not believe you’re in Alaska or you wouldn’t be reading CBS NY local news. That’s OK, it confirms your delusional mindset.

If you do, well, you’re part of the scenery: “I always remind people from outside our state that there’s plenty of room for all Alaska’s animals — right next to the mashed potatoes.” ~ SARAH PALIN

Greatest Threat to Caribou Herd in Canada Isn’t From Wolves
            The New York Times
            June 28, 2011

I was sure you’d answer and your reply is just what I expected. You may not be fat (“not all hunters are fat”) but you have a bucket of lard for a brain, probably Caribou fat.

“Hunters want to kill wolves because wolves kill elk — and the human hunters want the elk. A second reason is a love of killing things. A third is an implacable, and unjustified, hostility to the wolf.” ~ WOLF SEASON BEGINS, Editorial, 1 September 2009

1. BRIAN says:

think what you will, i’ve actually never been to NY. i never said anything about needing the meat to survive i said I making sure my family has meat at a reasonable cost.

Most Alaskans are proud that we have large and healthy wolf populations, and many recognize that we have a special responsibility to manage wolves to ensure their continued abundance. Wolves do have an impact on moose and caribou populations, and this impact, in combination with factors such as severe winter weather or bear predation, can depress moose and caribou populations to very low levels leaving little harvestable surplus for humans.
              adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=intensivemanagement.historicwolf

you know there’s no use in arguing with you…..you have your mind made up that I’m a horrible person for killing the cute fluffy brown real live teddy bear that will kill you if given the chance. well let’s just hope you don’t turn out like Timothy Treadwell if you ever visit the 907.

1. tangobravo says:

I agree there’s nothing wrong with hunting Bears are dangerous and ruins other populations of animals if they are the only natural predator. It seems on reoccurring theme is that we are uncivilized heathens. We are neither we keep an age old tradition of the human spirit passed down from generation to generation since the beginning of man with Adam. When the time comes if ever you rely on the skills of a tracker or hunter to protect you from some criminal or home invasion you’ll be thanking us for owning guns and being responsible. Or if you get lost one day in the woods our tracking skills might just come in handy…

1. Rodin says:

You are feeding on self-deceptive fantasies of dangers, machismo and “age old traditions,” trying to convince yourselves of your own rightfulness.

Wrong, bears are NOT “ruins [sic] other populations of animals.” On the contrary, like wolves, they enhance their habitat. That’s why they’re “NATURAL” predators. It’s Nature’s way of keeping a balance constantly upended by the intrusion of humans who totally disregard it. They are dangerous to humans under limited conditions as when with cub, accosted or interrupted when feeding. They defend THEIR turf and THEIR families.

All the protection you need is to mind your own business, walk slowly out of their way, or make a racket to scare them. They’re terrified of Dogs especially small yappy ones.

I live in the upper Hudson Valley, 5 miles from the northern Jersey border and am visited by the same black bears. We cohabitate without incident. We’ve developed our tracking skills by hiking, not killing, and don’t need your guns to survive in the wild.

As to “age old traditions,” so were slavery and religious persecution. In parts of Africa like Burundi albinos are traditionally hunted and killed for their body parts which are said to hold magic powers. Do we continue to live in the stone ages, in a state of virtual savagery, or do we progress and jump into the 21st century. Your choice, which I doubt you are capable of making.

“…we keep an age old tradition of the human spirit passed down from generation to generation since the beginning of man with Adam.” Cling to one myth, Creation, to hang on to another. Well, if you know your Babble, you know that in the Garden of Eden, al lived in harmony, no hunting needed, until Man screwed it up for everyone. …according to the Holey Babble, another myth you stick by to justify every atrocity under the sun.

Go tango! Dancing with the Stars awaits you! You’ve got to be better than at Fact and Reason.

Disconnecting. Bye, bye. Board with boors. “Happy hunting.”

2. BRIAN says:

by the way i also noticed you have no fact based opposition to the hunt or hunting in general just quotes from poets and movies (which shows just how ignorant you are on hunting) i say ignorant not as an insult by any means just stating you have no real substantial real fact based info. now give me some real facts and not parroting other peoples opinions or quotes on how hunting is bad….I can give you many fact based information why hunting is important.

1. Rodin says:

You’re right, I’m ignorant of the ‘at, of hunting, thank goodness. But I do know Hunting, possibly better than you.

“I can give you many fact based information [sic] why hunting is important.”

Start. Can’t wait! On the other hand, wait. I really have no more time for your blather.

BTW, I just remembered a news story of a couple of years ago, an interview with an Army sharpshooter in Afghanistan or Iraq, who compared shooting peoole to shooting wild turkeys back home in Kentucky or Tennessee. No different to the poor slob.

1. Brian says:

Yup, you quite on the conversation cause 1. you’re getting annoyed 2. you have no fact based information to formulate a good argument or 3. all the above. Now I don’t know if you’ve served in the military but I have, as my father, and my brother. “That poor slob” was saving his brothers in arms and fighting for you and me. I applaud his excellent marksmenship one shot one kill! I assume you haven’t served so in that case you would never understand….as we were told in basic pray for peace train for war. I’ve refrained for the most part on insults but You are a libtard moron rodin. ONE SHOT ONE KILL!

2. sean lenihan says:

Stop shouting, asshole.
            Your arguments are old, and for the most part false and self-serving.

1. Brian says:

yeah sean? Prove it’s false, Prove it’s self serving…. I can prove to you with countless articals and data that hunters put milliions into animal conservation. all anybody does mostly liberals go off there “feelings” or opinions when it comes to this issue they have no real factual data to back it up. Unlike us hunters….look up the stat’s on what hunters put into animal conservation. You will see i’m right if you have a lick of sense!

3. Rodin says:

~ SARAH PALIN

4. Georgi in Brooklyn says:

Last evening, i heard on 1010 one hunter proudly exclaiming how he had brought down with one shot a mother bear walking by with her cubs! Since the cubs will probably not survive, he killed three “birds” with one stone. This is despicable!

1. uptowngirl says:

That is horrible! If people would STOP leaving food for these bears, there wouldn’t be so many bear-human encounters. I am completely opposed to this bear hunting. Shame on you hunters. You disgust me.

~ JAMES A. FROUDE
        English historian, novelist, biographer, and editor of Fraser’s Magazine
        (1818-1894)

1. Barbara Press says:

I’m disgusted. I agree, this is all for sport. You don’t want bear in your backyard, don’t live in their backyard. And if you choose to live there, then you should know the risks and how to not entice them into your own surroundings. It’s their land too.

2. Rodin says:

ROD SERLING ~ THE PLANET OF THE APES

5. Rodin says:

Couldn’t bag his bear yesterday:

Baby among 4 dead as husband goes berserk in NJ
    THE NEW YORK POST, December 6, 2011

6. Rodin says:

YOUR BACK YARD?!?! What mental contortions! YOU’ve taken over their home.

1. Rodin says:

We live just across the northern NJ border in Greenwood Lake NY perfectly at peace with the same Black Bears Jersey hunters fear and must kill.

2. Barbara Press says:

Yes! Who’s backyard????

7. dave says:

A corrupt DEA poisoned my dog to death because I called the San Francisco U.S. Attorney General’s office to complain that the FBI and DEA where fabricating evidence and stealing from me.

It turned out that my call brought down a thriving theft ring centered in the San Francisco Bay Area involving several D.O.J. employees. They where creating fictitious suspects and using gang members to steal from them.

1. Rodin says:

Stay on topic, could you?

Sorry about your Dog.

8. bobby says:

This is an out rage .Typical coming from the PUNK state Of New Jersey .These people in that swamp should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen .Just have to say all you HUNTER out there your all a bunch of PUNKS ….I HOPE THAT THESE HUNTERS KIDS ONE DAY FEEL THE PAIN THAT THEY HAVE CAUSED THESE BEARS ….THIS IS A SLAUGHTER ……

9. guest2190 says:

Up here in Ontario, Canada, we have not had a Spring Bear Hunt since it was cancelled in 1999. http://cfhs.ca/wild/spring_bear_hunt

10. Rodin says:

Lovely!

“Guns, hunting. The boring occupations of the barbarian mind.”

~ JUDITH MERKLE RILEY
    American academic and writer of historical novels
    (b. 1942)

11. JOE FAM says:

CONSERVATION IS NEEDED TO KEEP BEAR NUMBERS IN HARMONY WITH THE AVAILABLE HABITAT,HUNTING IS AND IS PROVEN TO BE THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO DO IT.HUNTERS PUT BILLIONS OF DOLLARS INTO CONTROLED MANAGEMENT EACH YEAR WITH LICENCES AND FOOD PLOTS AND DESINATED WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREAS.THESE IDIOTS WILL PROTEST ANYTHING INCLUDING SAVE THE MOSQUITO AND TICKS.GET EDUCATED AND GET REAL.CONSERVATIONEST

1. Rodin says:

“The question is not, “can they reason?” nor “can they talk?” but, “can they suffer?”
      ~ JEREMY BENTHAM

“GET EDUCATED AND GET REAL. CONSERVATIONEST”

GET EDUCATED AND GET REAL. CONSERVATION-I-ST.

Killer!

12. Linda says:

Yo bear hunters are mostly ignorant savages. The bears are probably keener than you. Truly hope you come back as a black bear in NJ in your next life. Remember, what comes around, Goes around. So Sad for these innocent bears !

13. DanTe says:

I hug my teddy bear each night and pray the huntings will stop.

1. Rodin says:

Real bears hurt, DaunTed. Stop praying and DO something!

(It’s OK, folks, we’re both Atheists)

14. Greg says:

Leave the bears alone… kill the damn Dear

1. Rodin says:

“Dear?” Their sweethearts? DEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Bob says:

Hey Iran,Where’s the pictures ?

16. Dave says:

New Jersey should hunt snookies instead.

1. Barbara Press says:

Now we’re talking!

17. Antonio Andarde says:

Curb the human population.

1. Henry says:

The Second Amendment states that there is a constitutional right to arm bears.Give Bears rifles and let them fire back.

1. Dave says:

Lol…

18. Paul says:

Let the black bear population expand. We can always cull the population with our cars just like all other animal species.

19. James says:

Black Bears are fairly harmless unless they have a cub near. They taste like S@#T so you can’t really eat them. I’m a hunter and nature lover myself, but there is no sense in killing something unless you eat it. If your not utilizing the meat then why kill something!! Its good to see the wildlife populations coming back, 100 years ago deer were also scarce in the North East. Wolves Next??

1. Rodin says:

1st Place Oxymoron: “I’m a hunter and nature lover myself.” So go KILL…?

20. Dave says:

If you go on the state emergency website, they talk about all of the black bear attacks in the past decade. There’s only like 10 or 15, most of which occurred on hiking or camping trips in Canada, New York, and Tuscon, AZ. How does this translate to New Jersians must go out and kill 600 bears? The best thing is the website has this foreboding overtone, like ‘Black bears are marauding creatures that will maul your children in their sleep’. WTF?

1. whiteeagle says:

While it’s true that black bear attacks are rare, when they do occur, they are predatory. That makes them much different from the typical grizzly attack. While a grizzly attacks far more often, it’s usually because you’ve done something to annoy the bear. You got too close to a sow’s cubs, or approached it quietly from downwind and surprised it, or came too close to some sort of food that it had cached in the underbrush. Or maybe you’re a hunter, and shot something nearby. In the old days, when a grizzly heard a shot, it ran. They have since learned that a shot means food–and that if they’re slow, they get the gut pile, but if they’re quick, they might get the whole thing. At least one hunter has been killed–but otherwise remained untouched–when a grizzly came up behind him to steal an elk he was dressing out. Because of that, when attacked by a grizzly and with no way to defent yourself, playing dead may keep you alive–scarred up, maybe crippled and maybe missing a body part or two, but alive.

Try that in a black bear attack and you’re lunch. Literally. While a black bear attacks only seldom, when it does, it intends to kill and eat. And some of those kills have been pretty suburban, such as one that happened in New York about 10 years ago, when a bear came into a vacation condo complex in the Catskills. It had been feeding from the locals’ garbage, and when it appeared in daylight, and everyone ran inside to hide, one woman forgot her infant laying outside in a crib, stroller or similar containment. The bear came across the child, and was thankful that he could finally have a change of diet and could have fresh meat for once, instead of everyone else’s leftovers. A trooper killed the bear soon after, and it was a two-year old, just out on its own–exactly the age group that most often is implicated in attacks, because it doesn’t have the whole wild hunter-and-gatheri technique down pat yet.

In fact, many black bears will maul your children in their sleep, if you are dumb enough to give them the opportunity. That is particularly true of habituated suburban bears that have lost their fear of humans. it’s nothing evil or personal; it’s just that your kids are made out of meat, and bears like to eat meat when they can get it without too much trouble.

1. Dave says:

Thanks…I’ll sleep with one eye open from now on.

2. wonder boy says:

I do not know about the Black Bears in your area but in mine, my 20lb dog chased one of them off my front lawn. When walking in the woods across the road from my house I have on many occasions encountered bears. Blowing a police whistle and clapping your hands seems to scare the hell out of them and they take off. The only incident if you could call it that where the Bear did not take off I sprayed it with Bear Alaska repellent and off it went.

21. Dave says:

The human population just hit 7 billion. Seems to me that we should be controlling ourselves more than the bears. If not, something will eventually.

1. Nick says:

I’m all for culling the human race. Especially that one stupid hag that keeps commenting in different hag names here.

1. Rodin says:

We do. Pick up any newspaper, smarmy.

“The human race had yet to render itself extinct; perhaps the animals were just a dry run. Once you believed animals were insensate things, disposable, of utilitarian value only, it wasn’t hard to move on to people.”

~ NICHOLAS CHRISTOPHER
        American novelist and poet
        from “The Bestiary”

2. Barbara says:

Wholeheartedly agree!!!

3. Gabriella says:

Agree! I am so sad by the bear hunting.
      Even the way they call it “harvesting” like they are plants – awful!

4. Snookie says:

Will you be the first to volunteer and get the ball rolling?

22. Kevin B says:

This had better be the last NJ bear hunt for awhile. If Nj hunters are allowed to keep baiting and hunting these bears annually at a rate of approx 600 kills a year, than these animals will be extinct within a few years. And NJ needs to impose some regulations on NJ hunters. In most states baiting with food and trash, killing cubs and hunting dens is not allowed.

1. Slap to the face says:

You need a slap to the face. Dirtbag

1. John E. Sullivan says:

Wait why?

23. WTF says:

An alternative would be to shoot the protesters and extend the bear habitat on their properties.

1. Rodin says:

Every year we should have a Hunting Hunters season. They’re in the bears’ “back yard” and a menace to them.

1. Sean Lenihan says:

Way to go Rodin! I’ll gladly get a permit for that event. It would liberate the world of some needless weight, a bunch of ignorant, bloodthirsty morons.

There is no justification whatsoever, certainly not scientific—except the transparently self-serving excuses of the “Wildlife Management” sellouts, the pressure by the hunter lobby and their allies, to conduct such massacres of innocent animals. There is no respect for wildlife for these people, and meanwhile a great number of NJ people do nothing, while watching the moronic housewives or Nookie. Disgraceful!!

24. Betty says:

NO!! I oppose the hunt. There must be a better way to handle this problem. All wildlife has been here before us. We encroached on their territory. We are supposed to be smarter than the animals, and yet we haven’t been able to safely co-exist with them. Instead we seem to answer any animal problem with killing them. How did we become KILLING MACHINES. Between the killing and abuse of animals and the killing and abuse of human beings (especially children) it’s a wonder GOD does not erase the entire world.

1. NoBear Hunt says:

Well said, Betty. And, it’s not a problem of bear overpopulation, it’s too many of us humans.

1. Tommy says:

One day when a black bear eats your family dog in the backyard of you suburban NJ home you will change your tune. These problem bears are in populated areas, not the forest where they belong.

1. Gabriella says:

Humans move into the suburbs where the animals live, then want them killed for threatening them?

1. sean lenihan says:

Well argued, Gabriella. That’s EXACTLY THE POINT.

Thank you for fighting for these marvelous and defenceless creatures.

—Sean Lenihan

2. Rodin says:

Thanks, Sean, you one of the “good guys.” The rest are troglodytes.

Comments are closed.