Police: 2 Under Arrest After Grenades, IED Found In Bronx Home

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork)-– Police arrested two people after two live grenades and three other “works in progress” were found inside a Bronx home Friday morning, police confirm.

Anthony Cibelli, 24, and Juan Pagan, 25, were charged with Criminal Possession of a Weapon for an explosive device and firearm, Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance and Criminal Possession of Marijuana.

Cibelli is an Iraq War veteran who spent 5 years in the Army before moving to the Bronx earlier this year.  Friends call Cibelli a clean-cut military veteran who stays out of trouble in the tumultuous neighborhood, but said his time in the Army defines him.

“He was stuck still in there you know? Like he came out, he was still interested in stuff like that,” neighbor Juan Gonzalez said.  “I would not think in a thousand years that I would be across the street from somebody living with a bomb.”

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said that the NYPD’s Gang Division was executing a search warrant for individuals “dealing guns” on Stratford Avenue in the Soundview section when the items were found.

1010 WINS’ Eileen Lehpamer Reports From The Bronx

“This was excellent information that was received, proved to be a fruitful warrant execution,” Kelly said.  “We hope to have more information as to what the intention was of these individuals.”

Authorities found a M67 live fragmentation grenade, a military stun grenade which Kelly said appeared to have some metal added to it for “fragmentation.”   It is designed to explode within 5 seconds of pulling the pin and kill anyone in a 16-foot radius.

“I can’t believe that. Grenades out here. I never heard of that,” neighbor Lisa Orizal told CBS 2’s Kathryn Brown.

Raw thermite was also found at the location, which Kelly said was “incendiary  material.” Investigators spent most of the day carting out boxes of evidence.

Police also say that three other “works in progress” were discovered, including an IED that had been prepared with electrical wires, but no timing device had been installed yet.  Two other cylinders were also discovered that could have been used to make fire bombs.

Stay with CBSNewYork.com for more on this developing story…

Comments

1. This is going to be seen more and more as soldiers return home from war with no benefits, 40 percent veteran unemployment.

2. joe says:

Insert Bruno Mars Joke here.

3. BIG EASY says:

THE SUSPECTS ARE 2 HISPANIC MALES AND 1 HISPANIC FEMALE THE FEMALE IS ALREADY IN CUSTODY .I DONT KNOW IF THAT MAKES ME A CONSERVATIVE OR A LIBERAL

1. joey fom B'hurst says:

I would say Conservative, because you did not mention their skin color.

2. Eddie says:

Incorrect I actually know the female who lives there(shes my co-worker) 2 Hispanic males and 1 white male was taken into custody. The white male was in the military and the hispanic female which was the mother of the 2 other hispanic males was kicked out the home prior. She was questioned but is released. One of the hispanic males has nothing to do with this and doesnt know anything about weapons he just rented the basement. Hopefully he will be let go

3. Wow White become blind when it's a white breaking the law. says:

Veterans last name is CIBELLI. Origin: Italian

4. A "Going Postal" Worker says:

(Time to rile up the race-baiting idiots)-

The person of interest must be a Caucasian male, which is why CBS news doesn’t show his face.

1. Very conservative says:

In that area? Probably not (time to rile up liberals with THE TRUTH).

1. A "Going Postal" Worker says:

Ah . . . . I KNEW that my comment would snag at least one idiot (thanks for that, Very conservative – u just proved my point).🙂 Merry Christmas!

1. Very conservative says:

If the family was not white, then YOU are incorrect and therefore the IDIOT.

Happy chanookka.

1. Italian says:

Veterans last name is CIBELLI. Origin: Italian.

5. Very conservative says:

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

1. Randy says:

. . . .so is repeating the same exact comment every time you enter this blog.

Let me guess, you’re some nut-job Rush Limbaugh fan that’s been programmed to vote against your own economic interests.

Unemployment must suck, eh bro?

1. Meme Meyagi says:

Stop drinking the Koolaide. Bumbles is the worst president ever. And if anyone is unemployed, it’s because of the bumblin fool in the whitehouse….

2. Kobel says:

Liberal = Live and let live, it’s not my business, why should I care If you’re gay?. Conservative = I die to see whats going on in your house, you’re not christian, you’re going to hell, gays are causing all the evil in the world, Obama is hawaian, etc.

1. LiberalsRDopes says:

Liberal = punishing the hard working. Give me your money, I’ll give it to people who do not deserve it. Encouraging unions, and litigation. YOU pay for it. Protecting illegals,YOU pay for it. Don’t need id to vote. We all pay for that ..Liberals HATE this country…..Liberalism IS a mental disorder…

3. American born latin who hates liberals says:

Liberals took away gun rights in New York for defense. Now only the criminals have illegal guns which happened to be what liberals. wanted. To only arm their criminal drug dealing relative.

6. ShaunaMonique Carter says:

I BARELY WANTED TO PLAY WITH SPARKLES ON THE 4TH OF JULY LET ALONE HAVE A GRENADE…2 OF THEM, IN MY HOUSE NO LESS

Comments are closed.