Exclusive: Family Says Mother Gave 6-Year-Old Son Deadly Dose Of Methadone And Nyquil

ACS Taking Criticism For Not Doing Enough To Prevent Death Of Carlos Rios Jr.

NEW YORK (CBS 2) — In the Bronx, a mother is in police custody, accused of giving her son a deadly dose of drugs, including methadone.

The family of 6-year-old Carlos Rios Jr. said his drug-addicted mother gave him a mix of her methadone and Nyquil. They say it killed him.

CBS 2’s Pablo Guzman spoke exclusively with members of the family, including the boy’s maternal grandmother, who two hours early was part of the group that made the difficult decision to take the boy off life support.

“As soon as he got sick, he was dizzy, he got in coma and he died,” distraught Letty Muentes said.

Guzman spoke to another grandmother who was angry at her daughter and angry at the child welfare agency, Administration for Children’s Services. The family said it went to ACS at least twice for help.

“ACS didn’t do their job. If they would have done their job, this wouldn’t have happened,” Mildred Reyes said.

In a statement, ACS said: “The Administration for Children’s Services received the report of the terribly sad death of the 6-year-old boy in the Bronx, and along with the NYPD, our staff is investigating what led to this tragedy.”

The boy’s father, Carlos Rios, was still numb from taking his only child off life support.

“He was a good boy. He liked to paint. He was a good artist, fun kid. It’s a tragedy to have me go through this,” Rios said.

The mother, Raquel DeLeon, is being held by police. Sources said — pending an autopsy — she is being charged with criminally negligent homicide for the death of her son.

The family said it also tried to get help from the child’s school, but that nothing happened. CBS 2’s  calls to the school went unanswered.

Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …

Comments

1. A. Miranda says:

My little girl’s best friend at school, Carlos is now an Angel she tells me. He loved Rainbows and love to laugh and call out our teachers name Jessica in song. This is how she chooses to remember him. I hate That I had to explain what bad medicine is( drugs) to my 5 yr old.

2. DedraMS says:

This poor baby is my nephew’s 1st cousin! I pray to god to look out for his Dad & Grandma Millie because they LOVE this boy terribly. So much life ahead of him and to leave such a doting father behind is a terrible tragedy.

3. Lace King says:

Um, how are you going to have her locked up if you can’t even get her CONVICTED OF A CRIME? It’s easy to say she should have done more when you’re on the outside looking in. I know SEVERAL people who do this exact same thing, and I have contacted child protective services WITH VIDEOS AND PICTURES and they still aren’t doing anything!!!!!!! Call them and they’ll tell you that they WANT to keep these kids with their POS parents. In fact, I WAS ONE OF THESE KIDS; some of my first memories of are my mom doping me up to get me to go to sleep because she was too lazy to be a parent. Similarly, I told my teachers (about this and other stuff) and got the authorities involved, and they kept me with my mom as long as she could keep the house nice and clean for when CPS paid her a visit.

Easy for you to say she should have done more. SMH.

4. Mercy says:

Im so sorry for ur loss. He is in heaven as an angel. He will be in your hearts forever.

5. LUVSEINFELD says:

Methadone more of our tax dollars at work .This monster was probably collecting welfare benefits and getting high on free methadone provided to her by the u.s. govt.No wonder this country is f% ucked…

6. Bree Harrison says:

Who has more access to the child, ACS or the immediate family? Just saying.

7. Realist says:

“This would have never happened if the ACH had done its job.” You’re kidding me right? This would have never happened if this heroin addicted mother didn’t bring a child into the world she was incapable of caring for. I don’t mean monetarily, I mean, she is too immature and ignorant to realize that METHADONE, synthesized from HEROIN might kill a 6 year old. It’s a shame that this innocent child died, but to be honest, what chance did he have anyways?

1. big cousin says:

he had a chance u cold hearted pos

2. Sean says:

probably the same chance as someone who thinks methadone is synthesized from heroin.

8. Miriam says:

This was my step mothers Grandson, I never met him in person but I heard so many good storys about him. Hes family loved him and try to report this crazy mother because she was always on drugs and didnt take care of her kids. Plz dont say there blameing anyone they reporteed this so many times to ACS and ACS blew it off im sure do to so many other cases. But still my step nephews life could have been saved. RIP little Carlos. Your in Gods hands now.

9. Melody Morgan says:

I hope the family finds it in their hearts to forgive the mom for what she did. I feel really sorry for the little boy and i hope something like this never happens again to a little boy.

10. denise says:

My condolences go out to the boys family n may he r.i.p. and they should make the mother suffer slowly what this poor boy did n for acs they should get in alot of trouble also.the family should have done something also knowing she was on drugs.

1. LIZETTE REYES says:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT AND THE HER MOTHER ALWAYS TRY GETTING HER DAUGHTER OFF OF DRUGS SHE WAS IN A PROGRAM AT THE TIME !! AS A MOTHER AND THE GRANDMOTHER SHE DID ALL SHE COULD .. SO ONCE AGAIN FR THE FATHER ,S FAMILY(REYES) WE WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU DENIS GOD BLESS YOU

11. Love NYC says:

So sick of all these heartbreaking stories. Adorable little boy. Children are so helpless. Really hurts.

12. Lisa says:

…should have done more I meant to say.

13. Bullett says:

How can anyone do something so harmful to such a handsome little boy, especially with a smile as bis as the day. RIP little man, you in the hands of God & his Angles.

Comments are closed.