Hoboken Denies Permit For ‘Jersey Shore’ Spin-Off Show For Snooki & JWoww

HOBOKEN, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Sorry Snooki.

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer said the last thing she wants to see is people tweeting and crowds showing up any time “Jersey Shore” cast members Snooki and JWoww go to a bar.

LISTEN: 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon Reports

The City of Hoboken denied a permit for a spin-off of the MTV reality show. Zimmer said it comes down to safety.

“We love all that our town has to offer and there’s a concern about the reputation of our town. But, the bottom line is, for me, and for the film commission in making this decision, it was about public safety and about quality of life,” she said.

A woman named “Michelle,” who recently moved to Hoboken, said she applauds the mayor’s decision.

“I want no part of Snooki and JWoww loose on the town,” she said. “I don’t want them here. I want to watch them on T.V. I don’t want them hanging out where I hang out.”

The decision means no filming in any public areas, but the show could still get away with filming in private homes and businesses, 1010 WINS’ Sonia Rincon reported.

In a document on the City of Hoboken’s website, the mayor explains that because Hoboken is “geographically a very small city…onlookers and fans would find it very easy to follow the production through the streets…the density of our city does not lend itself to 24-hour activity as would be experienced by our citizens.”

The document goes on to say that “the constant presence of such a production would be an attractive nuisance causing crowds to assemble at every hour of the day and night.”

The letter ends saying that the denial of the application is based on the “negative impact it would have on the health, safety and welfare of our community.”

What do you think of the decision to deny the permit?  Share your thoughts in the comments section…

Comments

1. Christie: the Governor that ate NJ says:

They’re from NY, let NY keep their trash where it belongs, in their own yard!

2. HOBOKEN... says:

…ONE STOP FROM MANHATTAN.
    that’s all that town is good for.
    LOSERVILLE, USA.

3. RoyBoySays says:

I’m taller when I’m lying down !

4. RoyBoySays says:

Thank goodness the Mayor said NO………….keep these low lifes where they belong,in a seedy shore town,where they judge you by your muscles and tatoo’s

5. The Widowmaker says:

The show promotes violence towards women and is offensive to Italians.

1. mollyd says:

Why don’t they film in Staten Island? That is where this cast is from…..

2. mollyd says:

Ummmmmm. ever hear of The Godfather movies? LOL. This stuff is mindless, classless and tasteless…..but you only choose to not watch this garbage….you can’t get rid of it…

3. RoyBoySays says:

it’s offensive to everyone,not just those of Italian heritage

6. sluggo says:

they make a maggot vomit

7. A "Going Postal" Worker says:

I never thought I’d see the day when some people would become famous, simply for being famous.

I guess even imbeciles (like the Jersey Shore cast) are at least productively supporting the tax base (assuming that they pay taxes).

8. StoptheNonsense says:

It’s about time! The show is a waste of life. Bunch of idiots making millions for doing stupid things.. Let’s stop condoning these shows just like Kardashian..

9. Dan is just a non believer says:

Wow Dan there was 4 motels in bankrupty there now tahanks to tourist year round going to look at the shore house and shore store those motels are now making money.I guess your blind to the bottom line my business was saved because of them and people they bring in.

10. Al Gomez says:

Thank You , for keeping the garbage of a show out of Hoboken .

1. Notsoconcernedcitizen says:

Hoboken Government is a joke.

So city employees can act like fools and steal from the town but when a reality show wants to come in and film, which would bring money into the city they say no.

Anyone that has gone out or walked around on a Fri or Sat night knows Hoboken wouldnt be any different if they filmed this show here or not.

2. Vik says:

As opposed to the arrogant garbage already living there?

11. Bullett says:

Thank You Mayor Zimmer!

1. Hoboken is a rat hole anyway says:

Yes next time Hoboken needs to cut police or other services think of the millions she let go by trying to take a stand on Snookie

12. Austin Hoffman says:

i have a feeling something similiar will happen with the PERSIAN spinoff…LOL!

13. Sam Popack says:

Don’t bring the garbbage home

14. Joe says:

Good job Hoboken. Seaside Heights is ruined every time these NY trash walk on the boardwalk. They have hundreds of bennys with cameras following them. People get knocked aside little kids almost are trampled. Hoboken sidewalks are not big enough for the brainless followers of Jersey Shore cast.

1. Hoboken loses says:

Money is Money in this economy it is Hobokens loss.

2. MarineViewResident says:

NY trash? excuse me joe last time i checked 4 of them lived in NEW JERSEY -.- so dnt trash talk NY because everything that goes down thats “trashy” happens in NJ

1. Christie: the Governor that ate NJ says:

Check your facts, I just looked it up…only Sammy & Deena are from NJ, the rest are NY trash! The other two you write about might have recently moved here from there, but they are Nu Yawkers!

1. MarineViewResident says:

they can be from Arizona for all i care point of the matter is mostly all if not all of the trashy shows happen in NJ, theres plenty of shows worse and no one complains and cause they wanna do something all of the sudden NY is trash get reallllllllll.. is NY is trash then Jerseys what evers worse than trash -.-

15. noiamnotitalianthankyou says:

vile human dung. they need a holiday in cambodia. as well as the brain dead vegetables that watch that garbage.

16. Tyriq says:

I guess they can afford to turn down all the money it will bring to their town. Wish they’d come shoot in our city. Let em know.

17. Snookie=$$$$$$$$ says:

I guess there is only one Boss in Hoboken 1 show is enough there.Even though jersey shore made going to the shore popular again and you cnnot deny all the tourist money spent there.Like them or hate them they saved the jersey shore.

1. dan says:

saved the jersey shore? Who are you? I’ve lived on the shore my entire life, it was fine before and fine after them. They just brought a bad reputation and extra guidos with them. I never go to Seaside anymore because of it. Place is trash. The $10 t-shirts people are hocking with dumb-ass slogans from the show ain’t saving anything.

1. Dan has a situation says:

Wow Dan I would say all business owners there would disagree myself included business has never been better and first time in years showing a profit .So yes they saved seaside for the business owners.

1. dan says:

You biz owners in Seaside may be doing better for now, but like I said, I’ve lived here all my life, and I despise the image the jersey shore has now. None of these knuckle heads are from here, yet were branded with their tasteless, weak, arrogant, materiallistic, self consumed life styles. So, you might be alright earning your extra dirty dollar for now, but it won’t last unless Seaside cleans up and gets back to it’s old glory days.

Comments are closed.