Reports: Bart Scott Gets OK To Seek Trade From Jets

NEW YORK (WFAN) — According to multiple reports, the Jets have given Bart Scott permission to seek a trade.

The linebacker, who coach Rex Ryan lured to New York shortly after his hiring in 2009, is guaranteed his full salary in 2012 ($4.2 million plus a $250,000 workout bonus).

Scott restructured his six-year, $48 million contract last summer to give the Jets cap space in free agency.

The 31-year-old “grew increasingly unhappy” with his role on the team, the New York Daily News reported Tuesday.

The Jets went 8-8 in 2011, missing the playoffs, and Scott’s playing time diminished as his efficiency on passing downs came into question.

Scott’s agent, Harold C. Lewis, told the New York Post that it comes down to one thing: winning.

“Bart loves being a Jet,” he told the paper. “But a lot of guys gave back a lot of money last year — a lot of money, millions of dollars. That money was supposed to be used to get players to improve the team to win the Super Bowl. Anything other than winning the Super Bowl is unacceptable.”

New York is projected to be right up against the salary cap in 2012. The team freed up over $7 million when they restructured D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s contract last week.

Will the Jets be able to move Scott (and his contract)? Sound off below…


    Bart Scott bye bye ….

  • Matt

    If I’m the Jets, I target the Bucs. They have a lot of cap space, and some of it they have to spend with the new salary ‘floor’ rule.

    Also, if he went to Tampa and had to restructure his deal, he wouldn’t be losing as much money because Florida has no state income tax.

    What you’d be able to get for him is another question. They are def looking to move on because he is declining and is unhappy, but I think they’d prefer to get cap relief over a player. A 4th rounder perhaps?

blog comments powered by Disqus
Giving Tuesday
Charles Osgood Event

Listen Live