NEW YORK (WFAN) — Woody Johnson wanted to clear the air Tuesday regarding his team’s big-name acquisition.
Yes, Tim Tebow has a huge fan base. And no, he won’t be starting for New York.
The Jets owner wouldn’t even entertain the thought of Tebow supplanting Mark Sanchez at quarterback if the latter continues to regress.
“I’m not going to answer that,” he told a pair of reporters at the NFL meetings, including one from the New York Daily News. “I’m going to be very clear: Mark Sanchez is our starting quarterback. Period. That’s it.”
Last week, WFAN’s Mike Francesa ripped the team over the move, which he said was about “buzz and sizzle” and not winning football games.
Coach Rex Ryan plans to use his ultra-popular backup quarterback — perhaps as many as 20 plays per game — in Tony Sparano’s wildcat offense.
“I don’t see any negatives,” said Johnson. “I see all positives. I think (Tebow) gives us a lot of flexibility doing a lot of different things as well as being a backup quarterback.”
The move places tremendous pressure on Sanchez, who signed a three-year extension after the Jets explored the possibility of signing Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning.
Both Sanchez and Tebow have insisted they can coexist in New York.
“You have to have confidence in your starter,” said Johnson. “You just don’t take guys in and out.”
Imagine this, Jets fans: It’s mid-December. Who’s starting at quarterback, Sanchez or Tebow? Sound off below…