ATLANTA (CBSNewYork/AP) — Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food because it may be contaminated with salmonella.
A statement from the company on Friday said no illnesses have been reported and no other Diamond products are affected by the recall.
Pets that eat the food or people who handle it could become infected with salmonella.
Healthy people infected with salmonella should watch for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.
Pets with salmonella may have decreased appetite fever and abdominal pain.
The product was distributed to customers in 12 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia.
It is possible those customers may have distributed it to other states.
Customers who have purchased the following Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice products should stop feeding it to their pets and discard it:
– 6-pound bag with the production code DLR0101D3XALW and best before Jan. 4, 2013;
– 20-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before Jan. 3, 2013;
– 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XMF and best before Jan. 3, 2013;
– 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before Jan. 3, 2013;
– 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101D32XMS and best before Jan. 4, 2013.
(TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2012 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)