News

Gramercy Fire Ruins Wedding For Newlyweds, Guests From UK

The FDNY comes to the rescue. (Credit: CBS 2)

The FDNY comes to the rescue. (Credit: CBS 2)

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - An early-morning fire on Saturday in the Gramercy section of Manhattan sent hundreds of hotel guests out into the street.

Firefighters had just finished a run up the street from the Gramercy Park Hotel when they spotted smoke just before 1:30 a.m. It turns out that a fire broke out in the chimney between the 17th and 18th floors.

No one was hurt, but the ordeal put a wrinkle in the evening for a wedding party from the United Kingdom.

“Well it just got a little bit smokey,” Elizabeth Allen, a tourist from the UK, told CBS 2. “We thought we ought to get out if the firemen came, and we all had to come down 17 flights of stairs. It’s a wedding with a difference, it’s exactly what they wanted — but not like this kind of thing.”

Rachel Allen, the newlywed, was shaken up after the ordeal.

“It was scary,” Allen said. “It was frightening.”

The FDNY said it took less than an hour to get the fire under control.

Is this up there with some of the worst wedding horror stories of all time? Sound off with your comments below…