Last Time Knicks Won In Playoffs, Rivera Recorded Save No. 171
NEW YORK (WFAN) — The Knicks set a new NBA record in futility Thursday night when they lost 87-70 to Miami for the franchise’s 13th straight playoff defeat.
Can’t remember the last time New York won in the postseason? You’d have to go all the way back to April 29, 2001, a Game 3 victory against Toronto.
They never advanced out of that best-of-five series and have since suffered opening-round sweeps in 2004 and 2011. The Knicks are in danger of proving Charles Barkley right yet again after losing the first three to Miami. Game 4 is Sunday at Madison Square Garden.
So let’s see, the last time the Knicks won a playoff game, the Mets were coming off a World Series appearance and Red Sox fans were still terrorized by the “Curse of the Bambino.”
What else was going on back way back when?
– On April 29, 2001, Mariano Rivera recorded his 171st save. (Roger Clemens got the win for New York, his 263rd.)
– David Phelps, Thursday night’s starter for the Yankees, was 14 years old.
– Bridget Jones’s Diary was still in theaters.
– Janet Jackson’s “All for You” was No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. (Don’t remember that one? “Lady Marmalade” took over the top spot in June.)
– The X-Files was concluding its eighth season.
There you go, Knicks fans. The truth is out there.
Now will they end the streak Sunday?
Fill in the blank: Last time the Knicks won a playoff game, ______. Let’s get it going in the comments below…