Summer in New York City is fast approaching. Whether preparing for a trip to the Hamptons or an excursion to Central Park, people are itching to lock away their winter coat, welcoming the long-anticipated summer weather. It is time to open the windows to the warm summer breezes and take pleasure in letting a bit of the outside in. Make a smooth transition into the summer months. Swap the winter blues with summer sunshine by making just a few tweaks to your décor. Following are five easy summer-izing tips.
1. Revamp the Drapes: Take down the heavy drapery. Clean them and pack away to store until the fall. Replace those old sun-shielders with the tropical look of plantation blinds. These will instantly brighten up a room and can be opened to let in a breeze while keeping away the hot sun.
2. Brighten the Place Up: Pack away the winter pillows and throws and replace them. Decorate the house with summer-themed pillows. Place decorative trays on ottomans to accommodate visitors, as summertime means more socializing. Red, white and blue are the colors of summer beginning with Memorial Day Weekend, moving through Independence Day and commencing with Labor Day weekend. Add in bold greens, yellows and oranges for more summer tropic fun.
3. Lighten the Load: Replace the heavy down, winter bedding with a summer-weight quilt in pretty colors reflecting flowers and the sunshine to encourage peaceful summertime sleep. Accessorize with soft blues, whites and beiges to bring the senses of summer’s sandy beach and the blue sky filled with fluffy clouds inside.
4. Create a Beachy Bathroom: Bring a beach theme into the bathroom. Swap the winter shower curtain out for a quiet, sand-and-sunset scene or a mural of colorful fish swimming in the ocean. Add fresh towels to match the theme. Decorate with pretty soaps in the shapes of shells and sea creatures.
5. Smell the Flowers: To complete the décor, add some ocean and beach aromas with candles and oils like coconut, mango and citrus. These additions will instantly bring the scents of summer indoors for your nostrils to enjoy.
Refer to these New York local businesses to bring summertime inside your home:
New York, NY 10023
Lie back and relax for a summer night’s sleep. Visit Gracious Home for lovely bedding that reflects the comfort of lying on the beach during a warm summer day at the beach.
Scully & Scully
504 Park Ave
New York, NY 10022
Accessorize for elegant summer fun. Luxuriate in beautiful décor dressed up for the summer season at Scully & Scully.
91 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10003
Take down the heavy curtains of winter and open the windows up to the summer breeze and sunshine. Surprise! Surprise! has all of your drapery needs.
For more great tricks, tips and advice about your home, visit CBSNewYork.com/YourHome.
Carol Ruth Weber began her career as a Theatrical Costume and Set Designer and segued into the world of Interior Design. As an interior designer she has twenty-eight years of experience in all phases of the business. You can read more of her work on Examiner.com and she can also be contacted at WeberLifeDesign.