CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Thousands Angered By Cancellation Of Charity Soccer Game

Celebrity Soccer Game Credit CBS 2

Celebrity Soccer Game Credit CBS 2

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK(CBSNewYork) — Thousands of soccer fans were angered this weekend when a celebrity soccer game was canceled, by the Department Of Education.

“To tell you the truth I didn’t get any sleep last night to the morning because I was so excited about this game,” Queen soccer player Peter Reyl, told CBS 2’s Rachel Stockman.

Fans were greeted by officers who were guarding the entrance of the old Boys High School field in Brooklyn. A celebrity soccer game featuring big names from the world of reggae music was supposed to take place there.

The event’s organizer, Susan Peart-Boyer, told CBS 2 that she pre-sold two-thousand tickets for the event before finding out that her permit had been revoked.

The event would have benefited a Brooklyn charity.

Representatives from the Department Of Education said that the event was canceled due to a miscommunication.

“The organizers misrepresented themselves to us. We originally thought they were holding a ball game with five-hundred participants. On Friday we found out it was an all-day concert with more than two-thousand participants, so we revoked their permit,” the representative said.

But Peart-Boyer told CBS 2 that the Department Of Education is mistake.

“They are lying, I have all my paperwork, I have all my paperwork here,” she said.

The game’s organizers said that they will give a refund to anybody who wants them.

Were you planning on going to the game? Let us know in our comments section below…