2 In The Kitchen: Chef Kristin Sollenne’s Eggplant Timbale
Chef Kristin Sollenne’s Eggplant Timbale
by Chef Kristin Sollenne, of Vucciria
- 2 medium-sized eggplants
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella, not in water
- 5 fresh plum tomatoes
- 10 fresh Basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- (plain marinara sauce)
1. Slice eggplant into thing lengthwise strips
2. Lay slices on baking pan and season both sides with salt and pepper. With a brush, brush olive oil onto both sides.
3. Make an “x” to the top and bottom of each tomato. Boil for 2-3 min or until skin begins to peel away. Immediately transfer to a bowl of ice cold water. Peel skin away and cut away seeded center and cut remaining tomato into small cubes.
4. Cut mozzarella into equal-sized cubes and put into a mixing bowl with tomatoes.
5. Add chopped basil, salt, pepper, 2 tsp olive oil, a dash of oregano and mix together.
6. Grill eggplant slices for one minute on each side.
7. In a 5oz ramekin, overlap 6 slices of eggplant.
8. Scoop in the tomato and mozzarella mixture so it’s filled to the top.
9. Fold layers over to close it and heat in the oven at 350 degrees for 8 min.
10. *Optional to add fresh parmesan slice on top.
11. Serve with marinara sauce under and Timbale in the center. Garnish with a fresh basil leaf.
Serve with VUCCIRIA’s Insalate Di Stagione
-4 Baby Beets
-3 Brussel Sprouts
-3 Roud Baby Carrots
-1 Teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
-1/2 Clove Sliced Garlic
-4 Slices of reduced fat Ricotta Cheese
-1 bunch mache lettuce