2 Arrested After 3-Year-Old Brooklyn Boy Shot In The Leg While Playing In Sprinklers
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The NYPD announced another arrest Monday night in the weekend Brooklyn playground shooting of a 3-year-old boy.
Police said Antonio McCloud, 22, is a suspected gunman, and 20-year-old Stanley Williams is believed to be the getaway driver. Both were charged in the gunfight that left little Isaiah Rivera wounded in the leg, CBS 2’s Derricke Dennis reported.
Still wanted is a third suspect, 20-year-old Jashid Chambers, who police said was on the other end of the gun battle with McCloud, exchanging fire for some unknown reason.
Isaiah was with his mother playing in the sprinklers outside the Roosevelt Houses on Pulaski Street in Bedford-Stuyvesant around 4 p.m. Sunday when two men started shooting at each other near the playground, police said.
“There was a dice game going on and an individual who was in that game was the target with regards to an ongoing beef from an incident that may have happened earlier from a rival housing development,” Tony Herbert, of Advocates Without Borders, told 1010 WINS. “Apparently the guy walked into the courtyard where everybody was at, started taking shots at this individual, not hitting his target.”
WCBS 880’s Rich Lamb reports: Violent Start To July
A stray bullet struck Isaiah in the leg, police said. He had been in stable condition at Kings County Hospital, but was released Monday night.
“All I’m asking for is justice,” Isaiah’s father, Jose Rivera, said. “To be a victim of it, it’s just unbearable, very unbearable. I honestly find whoever did this to be cold-hearted, heartless.”
“He reached out for me and he said ‘daddy!’ It was two fragments that hit his calf,” the father told CBS 2’s Emily Smith.
Williams, who police said has 11 prior arrests, including weapon and drug possession, has been charged with attempted murder in connection with the shooting.
1010 WINS’ Stan Brooks reports: Bloody Week In New York City
“I can’t believe it. I hope he is okay, the baby,” said Jackie Matos, a mother of a 3-year-old of her own.
“I heard the shooting. It was crazy because I thought I heard seven shots and I’m hearing it’s more now,” added neighbor Leida Castillo.
“It’s horrible. My daughter was outside yesterday when it happened,” Melissa Ovalle said.
The shooting was one of the latest in a string of violent incidents across New York City.
There were a total of 59 shootings between July 2 and 10 p.m. Sunday night, officials said, with 16 fatalities.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Monday that the Fourth of July week has traditionally been riddled with shootings and murders but warned it must stop.
“I hope this week is just an aberration but we’re working as hard as we can to stop it,” Bloomberg said. “It’s an outrage. We’ve just got to get the guns off the streets.”
“The fact that someone almost took the most precious thing away from me, it hurts. It hurts a lot,” Jose Rivera added.
Please offer your thoughts in the comments section below …