NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – It’s hot hot hot and who wants to turn on their stove or oven? For the Wednesday edition of “Can’t Stand The Heat” week, Chef Vanessa Cantave stopped by with two recipes that will help keep your kitchen cool.
For more information about Chef Cantave, click here.
RECIPE #1: No-Cook Flatbreads with Ricotta, Proscuitto, Fresh Fig and Honey
- 4 pre-made flatbread rounds or ovals, about 8 inches in diameter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh ricotta, strained
- ½ lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 pint fresh figs, quartered
- 2 tablespoons honey
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
Brush each flatbread with olive oil. Spread ¼ cup of the ricotta on each flatbread leaving 1 inch space to outer edge. Divide remaining toppings evenly and layer each flatbread with the prosciutto, and figs. Drizzle with honey and season with salt and pepper. Cut flatbreads into fourths and serve.
RECIPE #2: Crispy Lettuce Wraps w/ Shrimp, Bean Sprouts, & Peanut Sauce
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon oriental sesame oil
- 1 1/4 pounds cooked, deveined jumbo shrimp, rinsed and tailed removed
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 medium carrot, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts (about 3 ounces)
- 18 leaves from hearts of romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
For dipping sauce: In a blender (or mix by hand with a whisk) combine all ingredients until the mixture is smooth and transfer the sauce to a bowl. The sauce may be made 2 days in advance and kept covered and chilled.
To assemble: Arrange romaine lettuce leaves on serving platter. Divide filling.