NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The U.S. Open in Flushing Meadows will be played this summer without one of tennis’ biggest stars.
Rafael Nadal announced on Wednesday that he’s not ready for the tournament. The 26-year-old hasn’t competed since Wimbledon due to lingering knee issues.
“I am very sad to announce that I am not ready to play the US Open in NY,” he tweeted. “Thanks to my fans for their support and specially, the new yorkers.”
The U.S. Open released a statement confirming his decision to sit out.
“Rafa has informed us that he will not be ready to compete at the US Open this year and has withdrawn from the tournament,” the statement read. “We hope to see him back on the court soon and look forward to his return to New York next year.”
Nadal, who won the tournament in 2010 and lost in the finals to Novak Djokovic last year, pulled out of the Olympics in July, saying he wasn’t “in condition to compete” for his native Spain.
In a statement, Nadal said he’d miss the energetic New York crowd.
“I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions,” he said. “I want to say hi and thanks to all the fans in particular to the New Yorkers. I’ll miss you all this year at the Open!”
This year’s U.S. Open will be played from Aug. 27 – Sept. 9 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Queens.
Are you upset Nadal won’t be coming to Flushing? Be heard in the comments below…