NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – “Tailgate With 2″ heads south of the border for a Mexican take on pre-game chow. Executive Chef Jonathan VanSleet of MexiBBQ in Astoria stopped by the CBS 2 studios to cook up grilled chicken tortas.
For more information about MexiBBQ, click here.
Grilled Chicken Torta
- One chicken breasts
- Adobo marinade
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Black Bean Spread
- Honey Mustard
- Toasted torta roll (or any crusty, white sandwich roll)
For the chicken’s Adobo marinade:
Yields 1 1/2 cups
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp. chile powder
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 chipotle pepper (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
Place all ingredients in blender and process until smooth. With blender still running, slowly add oil in a thin stream. Marinate chicken, steaks or fish for up to a day before cooking.
For the Black Bean Spread:
- 1 cup dry black beans
- 3 cups cold water
- 4 tbsps. Oil
- ½ yellow Spanish onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (seeds removed if desired)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tbsps. Salt
1. Slowly cook beans in water until completely tender, about 30 minutes.
2. In a sauce pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno and garlic cloves. Cook over medium low heat until tender but not browned. Add salt, beans and some of the water, puree with hand blender until smooth
To Make the Grilled Chicken Torta:
1. Marinade the chicken in the adobo mixture for at least an hour
2. Grill the marinaded chicken for six to eight minutes on each side
3. Assemble the sandwich: spread the black bean mixture on both sides of the toasted roll and top with a dollop of honey mustard. Place the chicken breast on the bottom bun and top with the cheddar and avocado. Add the top half of the roll and enjoy.