Father Jim Vlaun, diocese of Rockville Centre, and Chaplain to the New York Jets, stops by The Couch to make his signature Pasta Checca. Find the recipe below.
· 8 ounces thin spaghetti
· 2 pints cherry tomatoes (such as orange, red, and yellow teardrop varieties)
· 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
· ½ cup shredded basil
· 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
· 1 cup fresh arugula (optional)
· ½ cup grated Grana Padana
· ½ cup chicken stock
· ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Cook the pasta until al dente. **this will be prepped in advance**
2. In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat oil and cut tomatoes in half or quarters if large.
3. Add the garlic to frying pan making sure not to burn, after the garlic softens, add tomatoes and cook until soft, stirring and allowing a sauce to form. Add basil and some chicken stock if necessary to create more sauce, add arugula (if using), red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper;.
4. Drain the pasta and toss it into frying pan with the sauce.
5. Transfer to a platter and finish with drizzle of olive oil and Grana Padana.
Serve Hot! Serves 4