NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — It seems there’s no in between with Tim Tebow.
The Twitterverse exploded late Tuesday night when Action News in Jacksonville reported the Jaguars were “making a play” for the Jets’ popular backup quarterback ahead of Thursday’s trading deadline.
Action News cited unnamed sources in the bombshell. But multiple reports on Wednesday morning stated that there have been no talks.
“Jets and Jaguars have NOT had trade discussions involving Tim Tebow, I’m told,” tweeted Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News.
That was echoed by Albert Breer of NFL.com and the NFL Network, who cited a Jets source. On Sunday, the Daily News reported New York had “no plans to deal” Tebow.
Jets owner Woody Johnson said earlier this month that Tebow would remain with the team through the remainder of his contract.
The 25-year-old Jacksonville native was linked to the Jaguars before ultimately being traded from Denver to New York in March.
Coach Rex Ryan has been questioned about his usage — or lack thereof — of the backup quarterback, punt protector and wildcat specialist. Tebow has connected on two of three passing plays and has 78 yards on only 23 carries.
Ryan is sticking with starter Mark Sanchez despite a quarterback controversy that could soon reach its breaking point, though he said going into the bye that he’d like to get Tebow more involved in the offense.
“I think we’ll take a hard look at how we’re using him, what we’re asking him to do and if there are other things we can ask him to do with him,” Ryan said Monday.
The NFL moved its trading deadline from Tuesday to Thursday at 4 p.m. EDT due to Superstorm Sandy.
Do you think the Jets should consider shipping Tebow out of town? Be heard in the comments below…