Sanitation Worker Shocked By Live Power Line While Cleaning Up On Staten Island
TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A New York City sanitation worker was hospitalized Sunday, after touching a live power line while working on cleanup efforts in Staten Island.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg confirmed at a Sunday afternoon news conference that Michael Lewery was on the job cleaning up debris at 215 Milton Ave. in the New Dorp Beach section of Staten Island, when he touched the live downed power line.
Lewery, a 13-year Sanitation Department veteran, was taken to Staten Island University Hospital, DNAInfo.com reported. He was reported in stable condition.
SILive reported that Lewery’s injuries were not considered life-threatening. He had already lost his home to Sandy, the publication reported.
DNAInfo reported residents had seen the downed wire earlier, and one neighbor told the publication he put his refrigerator down in front of his house to keep people away from it.
Neighbors screamed for someone to call 911 upon seeing Lewery injured at the scene, while another neighbor covered him with blankets, DNAInfo reported.
Share your comments below…