Andy Pettitte Reportedly Close To Announcing Return; Mo Expected To Sign Soon
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) - Yankees fans received good news last week when they announced that right-handed starting pitcher Hiroki Kuroda was returning to the Bronx for one more year.
More good news could be on the way shortly.
Left-hander Andy Pettitte will likely announce in the coming days that he will return to the Yankees for the 2013 season, WFAN’s Jon Heyman reported. The 40-year-old is expected to sign a contract worth slightly over $11 million, Heyman said.
The 40-year-old announced his retirement from baseball on February 4, 2011, and missed the entire 2011 campaign. The three-time All-Star and five-time World Series champion then joined the Yankees as a guest instructor at Spring Training this past season.
The 16-year veteran’s fire was rekindled in Florida, and he decided to make a comeback with the Bronx Bombers. He signed a Minor League deal worth $2.5 million on March 16, and made his season debut against the Mariners on May 13. Pettitte ended up being very solid for the American League East champions, going 5-4 with a 2.87 ERA and 69 strikeouts in 12 starts.
He missed over two months with a fractured ankle after getting hit hard by a grounder against the Indians on June 27. He returned to the rotation on September 19.
Legendary closer Mariano Rivera is also expected to sign with the Yankees within the next few days, Heyman reported. The 42-year-old told general manager Brian Cashman that he would return earlier in the offseason, but a contract was never finalized.
The 12-time All-Star tore his right ACL in a freak accident on May 3, ending his season prematurely. In nine games pitched in 2012, Rivera recorded five saves and posted a 2.16 ERA.
You can’t keep the Core Four down! Sound off with your thoughts and comments below…