CBS2-Header-Logo WFAN 1010WINS WCBS tiny WLNYLogo

News

Report: Staten Island Man Engulfed In Flames During Cooking Mishap

Police lights (credit: clipart.com)

Police lights (credit: clipart.com)

TRI-STATE NEWS HEADLINES

From our newsroom to your inbox weekday mornings at 9AM.
Sign Up

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – A Staten Island man reportedly became a human torch in a cooking accident.

The New York Post reports that Louis Gloria, 60, of Eltingville caught on fire when a grease fire started in his kitchen around 4:30 Saturday afternoon.

Gloria apparently tried to extinguish the flames using water but that only made the fire worse, the Post reported.

The man then stumbled out of his home completely engulfed, as horrified neighbors tried to help, according to the paper.

“He was burning alive,” neighbor Edward Leavy Jr. told the Post. “It was a pretty horrific sight.”

Leavy’s brother called 911 and then quickly ran over to aid the burning man, but the flames wouldn’t go down, the Post reported.

“The problem was you would try to smother the flames but it would just reignite,” Leavy said. “His screams were just nightmarish. When the flame didn’t go down after two or three minutes, we all thought he was going to die.”

Gloria was transported to Staten Island University Hospital in stable condition. His wife, who was home at the time, was also transported and was treated for shock.

Please share your comments below…