Mangano: Help On The Way For Nassau Homeowners Affected By Sandy
MINEOLA, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) – Federal assistance is on its way for Nassau County homeowners affected by superstorm Sandy.
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano announced Tuesday that homeowners will soon receive a property damage review form in the mail.
WCBS 880 Long Island Bureau Chief Mike Xirinachs reports
“Some still today without proper heat or electric, I would encourage them to keep the same spirit that they’ve shown so far which is hope, which is a commitment to rebuild,” Mangano told reporters including WCBS 880 Long Island Bureau Chief Mike Xirinachs.
Officials on Long Island said more than 2,000 homes were left destroyed or uninhabitable by Sandy. Most of those are in Nassau, according to officials.
Mangano also urged homeowners to document all damage sustained to their homes as they apply for hurricane recovery assessment funds from the federal government.
“These programs that come through from the feds do require a significant amount of documentation and it’s very important that we document along the way, really, for the homeowners to receive the maximum assistance,” Mangano added.
Nearly 100,000 Long Island households have applied for FEMA assistance in the aftermath of Sandy, officials announced.
Mangano also urged residents to be patient as the process unfolds.
In addition, residents who received temporary housing assistance from FEMA immediately following the storm will also receive Continuing Need for Rental Assistance forms in the mail that they must fill out if they remain displaced, Mangano announced.
FEMA rental assistance is available for up to 18 months.
Residents who have not received the form should contact FEMA’s 24-hour toll-free helpline at 800-621-FEMA (3362).
Have you been satisfied with the federal response to Sandy? Share your comments below…